Component/Part recommendations for a Workstation-ONLY-Build

Xiauj

Hi guys!

As you can tell by the title I was wondering about a few things regarding components for a Workstation ONLY PC Build. The build will be used primarily for:

• Heavy 3D Model Texturing/Rendering/Animating/etc..
  • Photo and Video editing (No.. I'm not a YouTuber!!) using Adobe's software(s)
  • Watching multiple TwitchTV streams (We're talking like 3 or 4 different streams at once)
    • Now for this, could someone comment saying what components are meant for watching Twitch please? I can't find a simplistic answer on the Forums and/or Google... -_-
    • Also, I would be watching the TwitchTV streams WHILST my videos are rendering in the background.
  • Anything else.
  • Oh and NO Gaming....

So. some more things to note:

• A CPU (Xeon(?)) with at least 6 maybe 8 maybe 10 cores with Hyper-Threading I think(?) would help out especially when say.. a video is rendering and because I have multiple Twitch streams open.
  • RAM I think might be a top priority as well, not sure. 32GB might be needed.
  • Preferably a quiet, AIR-COOLED CPU Cooler
  • For the storage, I would prefer an SSD (480GB) for the OS and a HDD (2TB) for applications and another HDD (2TB) for Project Files.
  • For the case, I would prefer an mATX cube.
    • Something like the Air 240 by Corsair but with a window and space for optical drive. I am aware of the Air 540 but that's expensive for a budget build.... :P 
  • For the GPU, if I'm doing Workstation based tasks only, surely a Workstation GPU could(?) help out? 
    • Correct me I'm wrong but aren't NVIDIA's Quadro GPUs meant for Workstation tasks?

The CPU is what's troubling me the most because, I don't know of any choices because I'm on a budget build and because, I do need a bunch of cores with Hyper Threading and as most people know, they can be expensive.

Ok and finally, this is the annoying part.... the budget. So this is going to be a tight budget for such a PC Build but, it most certainly is a budget build!

Spoiler

£800 ~ £900 Maximum is my budget for this Workstation Build.

A pretty tight budget unfortunately.

I don't know if this is actually possible due to such a tight budget soo.... yeah.

Thanks

~Xiauj ^_^

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

Sorry for the short comment, but AMD's future line of workstation gpus would be perfect for a tight budgeted workstation build.

Just now, spidsepttk said:

Sorry for the short comment, but AMD's future line of workstation gpus would be perfect for a tight budgeted workstation build.

Not really. They cost more and are the same speed for video editng as a radeon/gtx card.

For CPU I recommend a Xeon (do not buy a non-hyperthreaded one that's dumb)

For cooler, I recommend the Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0641) I have this one and it cools like a dream

For GPU, you are correct that Quadro series GPUs are meant for workstation tasks but they are VERY expensive (I have no experience with Quadro so idk really)

For SSD I recommend Samsung's 850 EVO/850 Pro/950 Pro (sorted cheapest to most expensive there)

For Motherboard I personally use only MSI, and recommend the MSI X99S/X99A SLI Plus/Krait Edition

EDIT: Hard drives I recommend HGST > WD >> Seagate

1 minute ago, spidsepttk said:

Ok cool :) What about the rest? :P

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Not really. They cost more and are the same speed for video editng as a radeon/gtx card.

Yes, but he said that he wanted a workstation style gpu like a quadro.

6 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

~Xiauj ^_^

Well here the best i can do. 

Watch twitch doesn't use much at all, it uses some gpu and cpu. Almost any modern system can play 3 at once.

Best i can get

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8L8Qqk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8L8Qqk/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (£343.39 @ Kustom PCs) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£29.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£167.52 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£94.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  (£134.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  (£64.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£58.30 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £894.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-26 18:24 BST+0100

Just now, spidsepttk said:

There is no use. It will be slower and cost more. I have used them.

I would seriously look at getting used parts. 

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

10 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

For the GPU, if I'm doing Workstation based tasks only, surely a Workstation GPU could(?) help out? 

• Correct me I'm wrong but aren't NVIDIA's Quadro GPUs meant for Workstation tasks

They will be slower than a eqv gtx card. There is no reason to buy one.

Just now, Xiauj said:

Ok cool :) What about the rest? :P

The price is not confirmed (i think) so i am unsure. Electronics Wizardry said that it would be better to buy a consumer grade graphics card. I would recommend buying an asus ws board, but they are very expensive, limiting you to 2 gpus with your budget if you want to render with gpus. The alternative is to buy an expensive cpu and render on that.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

They will be slower than a eqv gtx card. There is no reason to buy one.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

And...

There slower for the money. Won't help in video editing programs. You don't need the quadro only features for what your doing

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

And...

There slower for the money. Won't help in video editing programs. You don't need the quadro only features for what your doing

I know, just thought I'd add that video for those who aren't aware of the difference.  Basically Quadro is slightly better for 10x the price.

PC Build

Desk Build

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There is no use. It will be slower and cost more. I have used them.

Really? The Quadro cards?

I wasn't actually asking for one either @spidsepttk I was wondering if they were better or not as I do not know.

10 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

11 minutes ago, Lumaterian said:

For CPU I recommend a Xeon (do not buy a non-hyperthreaded one that's dumb)

For cooler, I recommend the Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0641) I have this one and it cools like a dream

For GPU, you are correct that Quadro series GPUs are meant for workstation tasks but they are VERY expensive (I have no experience with Quadro so idk really)

For SSD I recommend Samsung's 850 EVO/850 Pro/950 Pro (sorted cheapest to most expensive there)

For Motherboard I personally use only MSI, and recommend the MSI X99S/X99A SLI Plus/Krait Edition

EDIT: Hard drives I recommend HGST > WD >> Seagate

CPU, I agree any ideas?

GPU, hmm ok cool

SSD - an 850 EVO (2.5") would probably work alright yeah, I agree.

Motherboards - I dunno of much cheap ones that are good.

7 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

I would seriously look at getting used parts. 

Oh... er yeah. Guys, I entirely forgot to mention what @CostcoSamples said and I apologize!

I'm very pedantic about getting used parts so unfortunately it's gonna have to be mostly New parts, I don't wanna take any risk(s).

7 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

if you want to render with gpus.

Well, some things can be rendering with either the CPU or GPU so, yeah.

I dunno what Adobe's Premiere Pro and After Effects uses, anybody else know?

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

quadro only features

Whaaat? O.o That I never knew.

What are those features do you know?

Motherboards, the MSI ones I mentioned are about 200 to 250 USD, you don't get much cheaper than that on X99. For CPUs I don't have experience with anything more powerful than the i7 5820K and that's got more power than I forsee myself ever needing (though all I do is game and watch youtube videos pretty much lol)

1 minute ago, Xiauj said:

Whaaat? O.o That I never knew.

What are those features do you know?

10bit color on opengl, nvidia mosaic, some extra cuda features(won't affect video editing)(mainly things like disabling cuda on graphics gpu's), ecc support on some cards, extra ram. 

Nothing you would benefit from

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its as good as you can get for your budget. Id get a 6800k if its about the same price.

Yeah I guess so.

My only other option is a 2670-v3 from somewhere like eBay which most certainly would suffice due to it's cores (12), hyper threading and because it's a 2011-3 CPU and more.

Or another alternative is any of these CPUs that I was just looking at on PCPartPicker. Some of them don't have Hyper-Threading but a somewhat decent amount of cores:

https://gyazo.com/1d65e94497a033fbe9863b8a0a217402

The only reason I keep questioning about the CPU is because, it will be working alongside the GPU but be doing more work. The GPU will still be doing work but not as much if that makes sense.

Just now, Xiauj said:

Yeah I guess so.

My only other option is a 2670-v3 from somewhere like eBay which most certainly would suffice due to it's cores (12), hyper threading and because it's a 2011-3 CPU and more.

Or another alternative is any of these CPUs that I was just looking at on PCPartPicker. Some of them don't have Hyper-Threading but a somewhat decent amount of cores:

https://gyazo.com/1d65e94497a033fbe9863b8a0a217402

The only reason I keep questioning about the CPU is because, it will be working alongside the GPU but be doing more work. The GPU will still be doing work but not as much if that makes sense.

Stay away from the cpu's you listed, much slower than the i7 and your paying for features you don't need(ecc, dual socket)

You can buy a es cpu from ebay, but it would probably be slower due do its slower cores and how most video editing programs like cores, but also want 3ghz+.

There is also the issue with es cpus that they are stolen, they don't work in all motherboards, and might not be stable.

Before doing anything I suggest taking a look at this Dual Xeon monster article.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1155-affordable-dual-xeon-pc/

It looked so good that I've been gathering parts as we speak.

The CPU's are used but 5% of their original price (I bought 2 spares, tey are that cheap)

I built mine with the same parts list, but I substitued a PNY Quadro NVS 510 graphics card instead.

(It does DisplayPort)

http://www.pny.com/nvidia-nvs-510-for-quad-dvi

blueb

9 minutes ago, blueb said:

It looked so good that I've been gathering parts as we speak.

New? Used? What type of parts exactly?

11 minutes ago, blueb said:

The CPU's are used but 5% of their original price (I bought 2 spares, tey are that cheap)

Yeah I know about that kind of stuff.

No, everything is new except the CPU's.

Dual XEON E5-2670 CPU's
ASRock Rack EP2C602-2T/D16 Dual LGA2011 Motherboard
Noctua D-Type Tower Cooler_ Retail Cooling NH-D9DX i4 3U 
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB Memory Chips
CORSAIR RM850X 850W Power Supply
Dual Samsung 850 Pro MZ-7KE256BW 256 GB 
Fractal Design Define XL R2 EATX Computer Case
LG WH14NS40 Internal Blu-ray Writer - OEM 
Asus USB 3.1 Card

PNY Quadro NVS 510 Graphic Card
Dual XEON E5-2670 CPU's (spares)
MS WIN 10 PRO (64BIT)

Just now, blueb said:

~snip~

Oh I see.

I hate to be insanely picky but, reckon a PCPartPicker list could be made? Alongside the Total Cost?

Seems quite interesting! :)