Does having a gigabit router mean gigabit lan speeds?

hotdog218

I'm new to networking.  I just got my server up and running yesterday, ethernet is getting wired to my room tomorrow, and I get new internet wednesday.  I got a free netgear Nighthawk X4 from a friend. Because that router is a gigabit router, does that mean if I have my server and my computer plugged into the router via ethernet, and I move a file from my computer to the server, it will be at gigabit speeds? The internet speed I am switching to is 150 down and 10 up, will that be the bottleneck?  Sorry, I am very new to networking. 

The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.

You don't need a gig raouter to have gig lan. You just need a gig link between. A gig switch will work. If you have a 100mbs switch, then your running a 100mbps. Lan doesn't all run at the same speed.

Your internal speed between two devices connected over ethernet will be gigabit speed. (gigabit is a theoretical limit and isn't one you'll realistically never hit as there are slowdowns caused by file systems, transfer protocols, and interface protocols)

Your external speed (think speedtest.net) will only be 150 down and 10 up. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.