Anyone got a opinion on Xfinity Comcast?

TubsAlwaysWins

Anybody have experience with Xfinity Comcast? How is it?

Breaking things 1 day at a time

I guess you could say they have good service, but a lot of the time for me they have very poor customer service for anything. Possibly it could just be me, but I have known other people in other states that say it's bad or worse. The internet is ok, I'd rather have a different service because they don't really give you a good speed for what your paying to bad I can't because my neighbor doesn't support anything other than that and AT&T.

It's good. Out of all of the ISPs I've used Comcast Xfinity was by far the best.

Price: it was one of the cheapest internet connections I've ever paid for (around $50/month for 100Mbps up and down).

Performance: it was the fastest (regularly getting 50Mbps more than I paid for) with the best routing (IPv6 traffic was handed off to Level3 immediately so latency was much lower and in at least 3 hops less than IPv4).

Stability: it was the most stable with only a few outages the 3+ years I used them due to things outside of their control (mostly construction on the roads around my apartment).

Hardware: they were awesome because I could use my own modem and router and didn't have to pay any fees.

Customer support: it was mostly good, when I had a billing issue or when I went to cancel my contract they were great. They waived my ETF and even refunded my last payment when I cancelled early because I was moving to an area that they didn't service. When I had an issue with a bill they would fix the problem in the first call, credit my account for the amount of the error, and even give me credit for one VOD rental. When I had to call them about a technical problem it was hit-or-miss though, if it was an outage they would make me do the standard troubleshooting before looking into whether an area-wide outage was reported, when I called about my IPv6 not working it was like I was speaking a different language and it took me a week to figure out they replaced my /64 subnet with a /56 subnet (thanks to a forum post I stumbled upon) and thus my router was mis-configured.

The only bad thing I have to say about them is they aren't available in my area so I'm stuck with Verizon's FiOS. :(

EDIT: Oh one negative thing was they throttled encrypted traffic for the first year I had them I believe. This resolved itself eventually but they never admitted it over the phone when I called them about it multiple times.

-KuJoe

22 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Anybody have experience with Xfinity Comcast? How is it?

I used Xfinity Comcast for around 3 years..... worst decision. You pay a lot more for what your getting and the customer service is fatal! I've since changed changed to AT&T Uverse and now have Gigabit ( 1GBPS ) for less than what I was paying for Comcast and better speeds. 

@TubsAlwaysWins Ive been the one commenting on your other thread. I have Comcast internet. We have been with Comcast for over 10 years. Speeds are good, but are heavily dependent on where you live. For example I know Comcast offer speeds over 100Mbps in some area. Not in mine, we can get 75/10 which is still good. Comcast will screw you on price, more on the TV side of it then anything. Internet wise, Buy a modem, that will save about $10 a month. Besides that just be prepared for the bi yearly price hikes. Oh and Comcast tech support is some of the most incompetent people who live in our world. So, yeah and there Contractors who install the service aint much better. 

I will say this. In the over 10 years we have only had maybe a handful of outages. Most notable the Black out of 2003. However that was caused by some idiot tree some where in Ohio. We had a 1 week period where our service didnt work. But manged to fix it. Out of all the cable companies Comcast is the better of them. They have deployed IPv6 across their network and at least 50% of the traffic is IPv6. They are also upgrading to DOCSIS 3.1. It will be a while before all areas get this, but its potential for Gigabit speeds. 

If you are just looking for Internet then Comcast would be good. If you need TV also be aware that Comcast encrypts all channels. You have to use boxes and only the first one is free. After that you are charged for equipment fees. We used to have 5 boxes which would cost us nearly $30 a month just in boxes. Now we have 2, which only costs $9.99. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.