Phone bluescreens sometimes, then turnes back on by itself.

Hey techies,

I own a Moto G 2nd Gen (Android 6.0), and I am on a holiday to Greece when I dropped my phone in to a small pond. After about 3 seconds I grabbed it out of the water again.

Once I grabbed it I instantly woke it from standby (which I now regret according to other internet posts) and dried it (somewhat) with my shirt. It was working properly, I even recorded a video to test if the mic/camera were still OK. But then after putting it back in my pocket to return to the apartment, I woke it again after about 3 minutes; NOTHING. I tried turning it on a few times and after a while I started shaking it heavily to see if the water would fall out, which worked because 2 drops landed on my arm and it turned on again. I left it in the sun (car dashboard, removed back) to dry a bit more and when I got to the appartment I started using the phone normally.

And then suddenly the screen went blue and audio stopped working. After about 5 - 10 seconds it turned itself back on again. This happened again about 2 hours later.

It is now about 3 hours after I dropped it.

I will use rice/towels tonight when I go to sleep.

What to do? Also ask for more information if necessary.

- ReThorb_

I would take it apart and try to remove as much dirt as you can, because it was a pond it probably contained a lot of minerals and stuff and they don't evaporate.

Instead they are left behind and some of them like to eat away some of the things on the pcb, or the pcb itself.

Maybe you can give it an alcohol bath to get rid of it, this usually isn't harmful and it dries a lot faster than water, also alcohol itself doesn't leave anything behind.

After that doing the dry rice trick and maybe a fan can do the job, but because it has been 3 hours and you powered it on after the drop, i would be prepared for the worse.

Just a tip for a replacement: the moto G third gen is available in the Netherlands for a nice discount, you can usually find the 16GB for 179 and the 8GB one for 149.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

I would take it apart and try to remove as much dirt as you can, because it was a pond it probably contained a lot of minerals and stuff and they don't evaporate.

Instead they are left behind and some of them like to eat away some of the things on the pcb, or the pcb itself.

Maybe you can give it an alcohol bath to get rid of it, this usually isn't harmful and it dries a lot faster than water, also alcohol itself doesn't leave anything behind.

After that doing the dry rice trick and maybe a fan can do the job, but because it has been 3 hours and you powered it on after the drop, i would be prepared for the worse.

Just a tip for a replacement: the moto G third gen is available in the Netherlands for a nice discount, you can usually find the 16GB for 179 and the 8GB one for 149.

Thanks for the resonse, as I am on a holiday I don't have access to my screwdriver set, nor are there any DIY shops nearby or even a phone repair/optician who might have the tools required. So apart of removing the back plastic there is no opening it up.

An alcohol bath seems a bit dangerous but I would be willing to if it weren't for the fact that I don't have 99%/91% alcohol available here (yay for tourism places..)

So I just hope for the best of results from the dry rice trick?

-ReThorb_

2 hours ago, ReThorb_ said:

Thanks for the resonse, as I am on a holiday I don't have access to my screwdriver set, nor are there any DIY shops nearby or even a phone repair/optician who might have the tools required. So apart of removing the back plastic there is no opening it up.

An alcohol bath seems a bit dangerous but I would be willing to if it weren't for the fact that I don't have 99%/91% alcohol available here (yay for tourism places..)

So I just hope for the best of results from the dry rice trick?

-ReThorb_

Yea that's the best option for now then, maybe put it in front of a fan if you can.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon