Problems achieving 85hz on a 85 hz monitor.

AleksanderK
21 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

HDMI 1.4 can go up to 1080p 120 Hz without a problem, I've done it before from my 780 Ti

Is it something you can demonstrate? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Is it something you can demonstrate? 

If I had the hardware now, yes, but I don't have any >60 Hz displays with me right now. I'm visiting a friend tomorrow and I should be able to do it with his R9 290 or Fury though, if that will help.

I can also offer you some logical arguments ;) HDMI has been capable of 1080p 60 Hz since version 1.0. Bandwidth was doubled in HDMI 1.3, so it can't still be limited to 1080p 60 Hz, and it isn't. It's been capable of 1080p 120 Hz since then. Also it's well-known that HDMI 1.4 supports 4K 30 Hz, which is the same amount of data as 1080p 120 Hz (four times as many pixels per frame, one quarter as many frames per second).

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

HDMI has been capable of 1080p 60 Hz since version 1.0. Bandwidth was doubled in HDMI 1.3, so it can't still be limited to 1080p 60 Hz, and it isn't. It's been capable of 1080p 120 Hz since then. Also it's well-known that HDMI 1.4 supports 4K 30 Hz, which is the same amount of data as 1080p 120 Hz (four times as many pixels per frame, one quarter as many frames per second).

Which would make it mathematically possible, but not functionally possible. Meaning, HDMI may not have changed it to go beyond 60Hz, but you're claiming otherwise. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Which would make it mathematically possible, but not functionally possible. Meaning, HDMI may not have changed it to go beyond 60Hz, but you're claiming otherwise. 

All I can say to that is that I've run 1080p 120 Hz over HDMI before ;)

It won't work on all monitors, even 120 Hz monitors with HDMI sometimes will not take 120 Hz over HDMI, but it can be done, it isn't a limitation of HDMI.

11 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

All I can say to that is that I've run 1080p 120 Hz over HDMI before ;)

It won't work on all monitors, even 120 Hz monitors with HDMI sometimes will not take 120 Hz over HDMI, but it can be done, it isn't a limitation of HDMI.

Or monitors are getting around the limitation somehow. If it doesn't work on all HDMI displays with a 120Hz refresh rate, that tells me the manufacturers might be doing some trickery to go beyond it.