Star Wars Order

Tristanus

Hey Guys,

I'm having a movie marathon tomorrow with a friend. He has never seen Star Wars so we are going to watch that. I've read some articals about in what order to watch. But everyone says something different. What do you guys recommend for someone who hasn't seen it before?

Thanks

Edited by colonel_mortis
Updated Title

Personally, I'd say watch them in the order that they were intended (Phantom Menace first (I), Return of the Jedi (VI)/Force Awakens (VII) last), because, particularly for someone who hasn't seen them before, that is the order that will make the most sense. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference though - both options have arguments that make sense.

PS. I've updated your title to make it more clear what you're asking (though feel free to change it if you like by editing your original post), so that you are more likely to get responses.

HTTP/2 203

17 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Personally, I'd say watch them in the order that they were intended (Phantom Menace first (I), Return of the Jedi (VI)/Force Awakens (VII) last), because, particularly for someone who hasn't seen them before, that is the order that will make the most sense. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference though - both options have arguments that make sense.

PS. I've updated your title to make it more clear what you're asking (though feel free to change it if you like by editing your original post), so that you are more likely to get responses.

So just 1-2-3-4-5-6-7? Thanks btw!

And yes I will do that next time.

Just now, Tristanus said:

So just 1-2-3-4-5-6-7? Thanks btw!

And yes I will do that next time.

Yeah, that's the order that I watched them when I did a Star Wars marathon (except that it was before 7 came out).

HTTP/2 203

4 hours ago, Tristanus said:

Hey Guys,

I'm having a movie marathon tomorrow with a friend. He has never seen Star Wars so we are going to watch that. I've read some articals about in what order to watch. But everyone says something different. What do you guys recommend for someone who hasn't seen it before?

Thanks

I personally prefer a modified version of the Machete Order. I watch them as:

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7

This way you start with the original, which is a good foundation. You have no idea who Vader is (and the reveal isn't spoiled). You get the Empire, with the huge reveal, and then you IMMEDIATELY switch to the prequels, they basically act as a really good flashback and backstory on Anakin. Then, at the end of Revenge, you jump back to where you left off, at Jedi, and then you have Force Awakens at the end.

Hmm... I should do this tonight/tomorrow. lol

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7

This way you start with the original, which is a good foundation. You have no idea who Vader is (and the reveal isn't spoiled). You get the Empire, with the huge reveal, and then you IMMEDIATELY switch to the prequels, they basically act as a really good flashback and backstory on Anakin. Then, at the end of Revenge, you jump back to where you left off, at Jedi, and then you have Force Awakens at the end.

You beat me to it. I usually do 4-5-6-1-2-3-7, but this sounds slightly better. Starting with the originals are important due to the reveals.

Modified Raijintek Metis Mini-ITX Case Build:

Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi Motherboard  |  Intel i5-6600K 3.5 GHz CPU  |  16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM  |  EVGA GTX 950 |  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD  | Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W  |  Noctua NH-D9L CPU Cooler  |  (3) Noctua NF-F12 Case Fans

6 hours ago, anonysrom said:

You beat me to it. I usually do 4-5-6-1-2-3-7, but this sounds slightly better. Starting with the originals are important due to the reveals.

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7

9 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Yeah, that's the order that I watched them when I did a Star Wars marathon (except that it was before 7 came out).

Thanks guys!

6 hours ago, Tristanus said:

Thanks guys!

Let us know how the Marathon goes!

I managed to get through Ep 4 and 5 last night before passing out. Will be starting Ep 1 today shortly :D

I love impromptu Star Wars Marathons.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I watched them in the order 1-2-3-4-5-6 and I have to say that the transition from 3 to 4 was a bit hard, I'd say start with 4.

17 minutes ago, as96 said:

I watched them in the order 1-2-3-4-5-6 and I have to say that the transition from 3 to 4 was a bit hard, I'd say start with 4.

Everything about 3 vs 4 is different. Different filming styles. Different effects styles. Different acting styles. The tone of them are both very different.

That's why I think doing 4 and 5 first, then back to the PT, makes the transitions easier. The tone of 3 vs 6 is much similar, even if it's still quite different overall.

On 24/07/2016 at 5:26 PM, dalekphalm said:

Everything about 3 vs 4 is different. Different filming styles. Different effects styles. Different acting styles. The tone of them are both very different.

That's why I think doing 4 and 5 first, then back to the PT, makes the transitions easier. The tone of 3 vs 6 is much similar, even if it's still quite different overall.

yeah I think

4 5 1 2 3 6 7 is a great order

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

yeah I think

4 5 1 2 3 6 7 is a great order

Just made it through Ep2 on the list tonight. Probably the hardest movie to watch... ughhh... all the cringe romance scenes. No... Chemistry... urg *dies*

Though watching the Dooku vs Anakin/Obi/Yoda duel is as always, a treat. Not my favourite duel in the saga, but definitely impressive.

It's quite a shame that they didn't get to do more with Sir Christopher Lee as Dooku - he could have definitely been involved in more duels at least :P

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Just made it through Ep2 on the list tonight. Probably the hardest movie to watch... ughhh... all the cringe romance scenes. No... Chemistry... urg *dies*

images.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I always say if you haven't seen them before watch in order they were released.  4-5-6-1-2-3-7.  If you are re-watching them just go 1-2-3-4-5-6-7.  If you watch in order of release the transitions are easier (special effects and such) as well as the story makes more sense and is as intended. 

4 minutes ago, Ganz said:

I always say if you haven't seen them before watch in order they were released.  4-5-6-1-2-3-7.  If you are re-watching them just go 1-2-3-4-5-6-7.  If you watch in order of release the transitions are easier (special effects and such) as well as the story makes more sense and is as intended. 

nah 1234567 doenst make sense due to the "big reveal" being spoiled in the prequels a bit

I think 4512367 makes the most sense, and even on repeat viewings is the order I choose

45 for the main old story, then the prequels to explain the origins, then 6 which leads into what happens before 7

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

nah 1234567 doenst make sense due to the "big reveal" being spoiled in the prequels a bit

I think 4512367 makes the most sense, and even on repeat viewings is the order I choose

45 for the main old story, then the prequels to explain the origins, then 6 which leads into what happens before 7

Ya either way, watching 4-5-6 or at least 4-5 is the way to go especially if you have never seen them before.

3 minutes ago, Ganz said:

I'm gonna disagree.

Granted, the Visual Effects transition can be hard, especially between Episodes 3 and 4, since that's the greatest difference (Ep 3 looks relatively good, Ep 4 looks trash).

But, I think the order I posted above is still great for new viewers:

4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7.

This way, you get the original story of 4 and 5, the old effects, etc, and you preserve the major reveal at the end of 5. But then you immediately jump into all the back story, which gives you some great insight into Vader, and his motivations going into 6. Also, the visual effects of Ep 5 and 6 are far superior to that of Ep 4, so the transition from Ep 3 to Ep 6 isn't as harsh.

I think putting the Prequels right in the middle of 5 and 6 gives them much more context, and meaning. Because by themselves they aren't as interesting.