Router suggestions please

Txzar

So my Edgemax Lite became non responsive today. I loved the speed but was never comfortable with the CLI side of it. Now that I need a new router what are everyone's suggestions? Wireless is not important, I have two AP's for that. Thanks!

Just now, Txzar said:

So my Edgemax Lite became non responsive today. I loved the speed but was never comfortable with the CLI side of it. Now that I need a new router what are everyone's suggestions? Wireless is not important, I have two AP's for that. Thanks!

a pfsense box

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

13 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

a pfsense box

That's an option. Not sure if I'd want to try and part something together though.

1 hour ago, Txzar said:

That's an option. Not sure if I'd want to try and part something together though.

Only issue with pfsense would be power usage. It would draw more power than a standard router. You never stated how long your Edgemax lite lasted. If it lasted a while, why not buy another? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It lasted about 3 years. I might buy another, but wanted to see what people thought. 

48 minutes ago, Txzar said:

It lasted about 3 years. I might buy another, but wanted to see what people thought. 

Did you even upgrade the firmware on it? Ver 1.7.5 has an amazing webui, plus wizards that can set the thing up for you. Most likely the usb drive in the router failed. Theres a ton of guides out there showing how simple it is to replace it.

https://hilo90mhz.com/ubiquiti-edgerouter-lite-erlite-3-internal-usb-storage-fail/

My native language is C++

I would go for an EdgeRouter again actually - if you dont want to spend the money on a pfsense box or a Juniper, Cisco or Sophos (both initial investment, licenses and power usage)