LAN Authentication System

LSUCS

Been a fan of LinusTechTips for a while, had a recent problem and thought this would be one of the places for some help.

I'll give a little back story for context, we run LAN parties for students in the UK in Loughborough. When you attend a LAN, you are signed in at the front desk, activating your purchased ticket, and when you plug your PC into the network you cannot connect to the internet without entering your account details you bought the ticket with. This system has now basically fallen apart, and with the purchase of a new powerful server we desperately need to rewrite it. 

The main problem, is that over the years, the code has been butchered and was very poorly documented, with PHP/CSS/Python used to code it.  I have experience writing C and hardware coding for microprocessors, however when it comes to this I am completely lost.  

Below is what i have in terms of the website/LAN website and Auth code from github:

https://github.com/LSUCS

Any pointers/tips/help for me to be able to proceed would be amazing.

Not the same thing, but many routers have a login page that you can sync with a network login server like active directory. You can also use 802.11x

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Not the same thing, but many routers have a login page that you can sync with a network login server like active directory. You can also use 802.11x

As he said, some may offer the ability, which depending on your party traffic and use it may be just fine. Even if they don't dd-wrt or something like chilispot firmware will, but you need compatibly hardware. 

I may be off base here

You could always look into pfsense or something similar that supports RADIUS or PPPoE serving, again some routers support this but will likely struggle with large traffic where are a old server or VM with a new NIC and pfsense could manage the user database, security, traffic etc. 

I think that you're wanting a captive portal though, again I suggest pfsense. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]