Bottleneck

I feel like I'm not getting the full power of my system. I can't even play Dota 2 on good settings. I experience fps drops even in minimum settings

I just formatted my system due to blue screens but now I'm not experiencing any.

My CPU reaches 99 °C  when playing, can this be the problem? I'm only using standard cooling for my CPU. 

This is my system

Processor: I5-3570 @3.40GHz (4 CPUs)

Graphics Card: MSI R9 380 4GB

Power supply; Corsair CS650M

Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31/W8

RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB DDR3 1600
Storage: 1x HITACHI 500GB

1x Seagate 500GB

Yes 99C is very bad while under load. Its very likely that you have a broken pin on your stock cooler, this happens very VERY often. You need to order a new cooler and stop using the PC immediately since running at those temps will harm your CPU

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

3 minutes ago, eydipogi03 said:

I feel like I'm not getting the full power of my system. I can't even play Dota 2 on good settings. I experience fps drops even in minimum settings

I just formatted my system due to blue screens but now I'm not experiencing any.

My CPU reaches 99 °C  when playing, can this be the problem? I'm only using standard cooling for my CPU. 

This is my system

1x Seagate 500GB

It shouldn't bottleneck. What frame rates are you getting?

4 minutes ago, eydipogi03 said:

This is my system

1x Seagate 500GB

O.o Yes absolutely that is 100% the problem.  It's hitting 100 C and thermal throttling like crazy.  That's not exactly good for it and is causing you to get terrible performance.  You might want to check that the fan is spinning and reapply the thermal paste to start.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Moress said:

Yes 99C is very bad while under load. Its very likely that you have a broken pin on your stock cooler, this happens very VERY often. You need to order a new cooler and stop using the PC immediately since running at those temps will harm your CPU

I'm having a hard time purchasing a new cooler because of my casing. But I'm planning to anyways

1 minute ago, waynedud3 said:

It shouldn't bottleneck. What frame rates are you getting?

40-60 FPS. On low settings LOL. And my system kinda lags. Is it possible that the hard drive is the problem? Or is it the cpu or cooling?

Just now, eydipogi03 said:

I'm having a hard time purchasing a new cooler because of my casing. But I'm planning to anyways

I have the Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP cooler, its a bit of a pain to install and isnt the best cooler ive ever used but itll be better than stock and much much better than a broken stock lol

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

O.o Yes absolutely that is 100% the problem.  It's hitting 100 C and thermal throttling like crazy.  That's not exactly good for it and is causing you to get terrible performance.  You might want to check that the fan is spinning and reapply the thermal paste to start.

any recommendations on cooling?

40-60 FPS. On low settings LOL. And my system kinda lags. Is it possible that the hard drive is the problem? Or is it the cpu or cooling?

Jesus Christ. I didn't see the 99C last time. You need to shut that thing down NOW. Get something like a Cooler Master Hyper T4 or Hyper 212 Evo.

Just now, waynedud3 said:

Jesus Christ. I didn't see the 99C last time. You need to shut that thing down NOW. Get something like a Cooler Master Hyper T4 or Hyper 212 Evo.

i'm having a hard time buying a cooler because of my case. but thanks!

i'm having a hard time buying a cooler because of my case. but thanks!

What case do you have?

25 minutes ago, eydipogi03 said:

any recommendations on cooling?

Well even a stock cooler should do the job if it is installed correctly and not broken, but if you guy one, get a 212 evo or something... that's a pretty common and cheap one that is still better than stock.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 hours ago, waynedud3 said:

Already bought one. My CPU is now on 40-55C. But still experiencing lags and fps drop while playing Dota 2. Idk why

19 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well even a stock cooler should do the job if it is installed correctly and not broken, but if you guy one, get a 212 evo or something... that's a pretty common and cheap one that is still better than stock.

got one. But still got fps drops and lags. Idk why. 

What about your GPU temperature?

and whats the CPU temperature now with the new cooler?

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

17 hours ago, Nord said:

What about your GPU temperature?

and whats the CPU temperature now with the new cooler?

48C to 55C tops.

40C-55C.
Is it possible that the motherboard or the hard drive is the problem?

Of course it is possible, but there are other things which are more likely.

I'd suggest you download MSI afterburner and use its "log history to file"-option to create a little logfile of whats happening on your PC while you are playing Dota and either figure the problem out by yourself or upload the file to this forum and I will take a look a it ;)

How to set the program up to properly record all the vital informations, is explained in this video:

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

18 hours ago, eydipogi03 said:

This is your issue. If you're using the stock intel cooler, the pins are annoying and you probably didn't seat it correctly. 

Take the motherboard out and re seat the cooler with new thermal paste. Also make sure the fan is spinning. 

If that doesn't help, look for third party solutions. In a perfect world the stock cooler shouldn't be getting that hot, but it could be if it's broken/installed wrong. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

18 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why did it take a mod to realize the 99C thing?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

I monitored my pc while watching a game of dota 2 and I noticed that every now and then my gpu usage goes to 100% thats when the fps and lag starts. Idk why my pc is having a hard time playing Dota 2 even in low settings

dasff.png

did you check your pc for spyware/virus or other unwanted programs? I guess you are running some shitty program in the background which cripples your pc.

15 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

did you check your pc for spyware/virus or other unwanted programs? I guess you are running some shitty program in the background which cripples your pc.

i used malwarebytes and scanned my pc. it's all good

I don't play DotA 2 myself, so its hard to tell if the game is really that CPU hungry, but I imagine it should require around the same hardware-specs as LoL or Heroes of the Storm does and hence deem both the GPU aswell as CPU activity too high.

A 380 surely should not, ever, be maxed out by DotA 2, that I do know.

Do you have any other games you could test? Preferably more demanding ones and see if the fps laggs show up there aswell? (Like GTA5, Farcry 3/4, BF4 or such)

Also when you check afterburner, there should be a listing called "Core clock, Mhz" and "Memory clock, Mhz" - what numbers do they state? (screenshot like you posted would be helpful)

And when you check your "Power options" in windows, they are not set to powersaving, are they?

4 hours ago, eydipogi03 said:

i used malwarebytes and scanned my pc. it's all good

ok

did you check if dont have to many unnecessary programs in your autostart (press start and enter in the search field msconfig and then open systemstart tab)