I used the AMD CCC clean uninstaller on Windows 8, nuff said. (Best way to reset my PC)

iiBetrayforAR

Yeah. I didn't realize it raped your W8 install until too late.

So, I want to reinstall Windows 8 while keeping as many of my games as possible. I have no idea where to start.

My rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ApB

So, the storage situation: My C: SSD has Windows, all my programs, and some games installed via Steam.

My E: The WD Black has the rest of my steam games, videos, and random stuff. 544GB free.

My WD RE has nothing but raw videos and if needed I have all of its 2TB at my disposal.

I want this to be as headachless as possible. HALP ME PLZ!!!111!

Thanks in advance.

i7 3770K 3.9Ghz (Stock) - H100i - Maximus V Formula - 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Intel 335 240GB - WD Black 1TB 64MB Cache - WD RE 2TB - 7970 Matrix Platinum - HAF X - SeaSonic 860w Platinum - Windows 8 Pro - VS248H-P - VG248QE

Just curious, how can using AMD's CCC Clean uninstalled reset your PC causing you to have to reinstall Windows again? Either:

A ) You did something wrong, or

B ) AMD need to fix a major bug with that uninstalled.

You may need to give more details for people to be able to help you.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

OP, not really sure what you want, can't you just reinstall your Windows into your C drive? 

Just curious, how can using AMD's CCC Clean uninstalled reset your PC causing you to have to reinstall Windows again? Either:

Because it is not officially support Windows 8 yet. Many reported the software will borked your windows 8 system.

This standalone uninstallation utility will clean your system of any existing AMD Catalyst™ drivers to prepare your PC for the clean installation of a new driver version. Currently supports Windows 7 at this time.
   After running the utility, a restart of the computer is required to fully remove driver files that may be in use during the uninstall process.  Installing a new driver prior to a system restart may cause the operating system to not function properly.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

There is a known issue that if you use the built in clean uninstall from CCC is deletes some "false positives" that are actually Windows files that cause issues when deleted. I can't remember where the link was, but it was on guru3d or something, basically I cant open CCC, and it makes other programs unhappy too.

I want to know what you guys do when you re install your OS lol.

i7 3770K 3.9Ghz (Stock) - H100i - Maximus V Formula - 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Intel 335 240GB - WD Black 1TB 64MB Cache - WD RE 2TB - 7970 Matrix Platinum - HAF X - SeaSonic 860w Platinum - Windows 8 Pro - VS248H-P - VG248QE

There is a known issue that if you use the built in clean uninstall from CCC is deletes some "false positives" that are actually Windows files that cause issues when deleted. I can't remember where the link was, but it was on guru3d or something, basically I cant open CCC, and it makes other programs unhappy

I would encourage you to restore your PC with a system restore point, if you haven't disabled it, to an earlier time before you used that uninstaller. Restore points have saved my system on countless occasions.

Mmm. I probably don't have one early enough, and if I did, it would be basically be same as reinstalling.

I think Im gonna just back up my games and use the refresh utility. Could I just copy my program files folders to another drive and put them back after the refresh? Its sound like it would be too good to be true...

Mmm. I probably don't have one early enough, and if I did, it would be basically be same as reinstalling.

Oh! That's a big bugger.

Could I just copy my program files folders to another drive and put them back after the refresh? Its sound like it would be too good to be true...

Well yes and no. Yes, some programs will function fine like that but in most cases you will need a fresh install of your programs as most programs install themselves into the Windows Registry and may not function correctly if they are not reinstalled.

Ok. I guess Im just gonna refresh and see what I lose.

Should I uninstall the AMD drivers before I do so?

Ok. I guess Im just gonna refresh and see what I lose.

Well backing up is advised but >>Refresh at your own risk<<. Personally I would always backup, but if you don't mind taking a gamble.....refresh away.

Ok, does anyone know if there is a windows utility that will back up my programs and what not so I can load them back up after resetting windows, but it won't screw up me new fresh install again!?

I'm just don't know what to do at this point lol.

Ok, does anyone know if there is a windows utility that will back up my programs and what not so I can load them back up after resetting windows, but it won't screw up me new fresh install again!?

I'm just don't know what to do at this point lol.

There is the Windows Backup and Restore utility under Control Panel. Since you have Windows 8 it should be called Windows 7 Backup and Restore (something like that).

Ok, Im gonna try to back up and restore as many of my programs as possible...

Ok, Im gonna try to back up and restore as many of my programs as possible...

Good idea mate! Good idea.

Back up in progress, gonna reset Windows (I don't have to put my ODD back in heehh), and load that junk up and see how this works. ;)

Thanks for your help.

Back up in progress, gonna reset Windows (I don't have to put my ODD back in heehh), and load that junk up and see how this works. ;)

Thanks for your help.

Don't mention it. Glad to put my extensive knowledge to good use for someone who needed it. :)

Just added you as a friend because you seem like a nice person.

Thanks, will post results, but jeez this file recovery takes FOREVER to back up lol.

Thanks, will post results, but jeez this file recovery takes FOREVER to back up lol.

Yeah I know. You must have a bucket load of stuff though, I imagine. But then again we all do.

Okay, I better get to bed. It's pretty late for me. Have a good day!

Reset Windows, it was a pain in the ass, it took a long time, but I have most of my stuff back lol. Just use Windows 7 File History to back up your games, and re load them back to the Steam folder once you reinstall Steam.

Reset Windows, it was a pain in the ass, it took a long time, but I have most of my stuff back lol. Just use Windows 7 File History to back up your games, and re load them back to the Steam folder once you reinstall Steam.

just so u know there is a backup option in steam so u cna manually backup all your games