i5 6500 or i5 6600K?

Go to solution Solved by M477430,

Don't bother wasting any money on something you are gonna swap out a couple months down the line, I did that a lot with my current rig and now I find my self around $3000 Canadian Rupees down the hole on something that should have been about $2000. It may only be 1 part that you're swapping out but its a $200 CPU, $200 is still a lot of money and it could go to something else like a better graphics card, I'd recommend getting the 6600k and if you REALLY want to get the i7 (over kill in most games) then save your money a while longer. Otherwise your build looks pretty good at glance.

So I've been on the fence whether I maybe go for a locked CPU to save some money and have my foot in the door for when I can afford more stuff to make the build more of what I was wanting. In my other post similar to this I was thinking about going with an i3. If I did go with the i5 6400, I might possibly be able to get an i7 a few months down the road.

As you can see my price range would be $900 to $1400 or so. I don't really want to give up the case or mobo in either instance. But if you want to suggest me something different in that price range go right ahead.

This is the 6500 build, what I do change out is that I don't buy the monitor, storage and CPU cooler right away as I can save a little money there too by using the stock heatsink.

Spoiler

The temporary drive I would use to install Windows and games on would be a 500GB laptop drive I pulled from my old laptop which I know works because I currently have Ubuntu installed on it. The display would be my 39" 1080p TV.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($204.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB Video Card 
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Keyboard: Logitech G610 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($72.29 @ Amazon) 
Other: RX 480 (4GB) Placeholder ($230.00)
Total: $987.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-20 00:08 EDT-0400

Or should I just go for an i5 6600K so I can utilize the mobo and have a nice cooler too?

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($92.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB Video Card 
Case: NZXT H440 (Matte Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 23.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($179.99 @ B&H) 
Keyboard: Logitech G610 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($72.29 @ Amazon) 
Other: RX 480 (4GB) Placeholder ($230.00)
Total: $1381.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-20 00:14 EDT-0400

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Don't bother wasting any money on something you are gonna swap out a couple months down the line, I did that a lot with my current rig and now I find my self around $3000 Canadian Rupees down the hole on something that should have been about $2000. It may only be 1 part that you're swapping out but its a $200 CPU, $200 is still a lot of money and it could go to something else like a better graphics card, I'd recommend getting the 6600k and if you REALLY want to get the i7 (over kill in most games) then save your money a while longer. Otherwise your build looks pretty good at glance.

I would go with the 6600k build.  It is very similar to my current build and I really like mine.  (you can see my build in my signature)  I would, though, change the case to a cooler master mastercase pro 5.

GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1070,  CPU: i5-6600k OC to 4.0 GHz,  PSU: Rosewill Capstone G750 750W,  Mobo: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming,  Case: NZXT H440 White,  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8),  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Mouse: Razer Ouroboros,  Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma, Mousepad: Razer Overwatch KB+M pad, Headset: Corsair Void RGB,  Monitor: 1x ASUS PB277Q 27" 1440p & 1x HP Pavilion 25cw 25-inch 1080p

Just now, M477430 said:

True, which is kinda why I'm leaning back towards just sticking with the build I planned on doing before hand which was the i5.

I was suggested in my other thread from last night to go the cheaper route and maybe instead of upgrading to a 6600K instead upgrade to like a 6700K.

6 minutes ago, Treedubz said:

I would go with the 6600k build.  It is very similar to my current build and I really like mine.  (you can see my build in my signature)  I would, though, change the case to a cooler master mastercase pro 5.

The MasterCase Pro 5 costs a bit more and idk the aesthetics are kinda okay I guess.

The windowed Define S would be good if Fractal had a PSU Shroud.

7 minutes ago, wcreek said:

The MasterCase Pro 5 costs a bit more and idk the aesthetics are kinda okay I guess.

The windowed Define S would be good if Fractal had a PSU Shroud.

Have you take a look at Corsair Carbide 400C?

6 minutes ago, Ichi said:

Have you take a look at Corsair Carbide 400C?

The 400C is okay and iirc it has a PSU shroud.

6 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

i5-6400 + Asrock Fatal1ty B150 Gaming K4/Hyper

can you afford that?

Well yeah, but the 6400 is quite a bit slower than the 6500.

49 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

that board will let you OC it.

An overclockable low tier i5? :o