Internet speed triples in one night?

Seireitou

So last night, I'm Skyping with my gf and my connection goes down. Doesn't work at all,Its down for a few hours. During this time I tried restarting the router multiple times after a couple of hours it finally comes back on. I was currently downloading a game while on Skype, I check my speeds and I see that its tripled. To give an example it went from 16/mpbs to 65/mbps which is more than I even pay for by about 5mbps. I'm definitely not complaining at all but what I don't understand is why now do I get this insane boost of speed? I switch to Ethernet a couple of months back and my speeds were actually lower than Wifi, perhaps some of you remember the tread but now....these speeds are bullshit fast (At least as far as I've ever had.) Anybody know the reasoning behind this? Did charter update their servers? Did something happen?

Your ISP probably upgraded their services. If you want confirmation on this, I would contact them and question it.

Remember to drink water!

Charter bought out TWC and they are probably adopting the tiers that TWC offered or are trending that way.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I have Charter and for a year or two now 60mbps was the slowest they offered in my area, even 5 years ago the slowest they had was 20mbps, are you sure you are only paying for 5mbps?

Last week they did a big IP change around here, prior the first octet was 68 and now it is 24 and the service is called "Spectrum" when you do a speed test. Could just be your router hasn't been power cycled in a very long time to pick up the new info? 

2 hours ago, Scheer said:

I have Charter and for a year or two now 60mbps was the slowest they offered in my area, even 5 years ago the slowest they had was 20mbps, are you sure you are only paying for 5mbps?

Last week they did a big IP change around here, prior the first octet was 68 and now it is 24 and the service is called "Spectrum" when you do a speed test. Could just be your router hasn't been power cycled in a very long time to pick up the new info? 

Oh no, I'm only paying for 60 but I'm getting 65 but before last night I was only getting 17 max.

4 hours ago, Seireitou said:

Oh no, I'm only paying for 60 but I'm getting 65 but before last night I was only getting 17 max.

Sorry, misread that.

I pay for 60, usually get 65-ish, its normal. Heck at work we have a 100/100 fiber line from Charter and randomly get 250+ up and down for a while.

The 17 was likely a modem problem and after a few reboots it fixed itself. In the future, if you have the Cisco modem (may also work on others) go to http://192.168.100.1/ and you can check your Signal-to-Noise ratio to see if you have a line problem, it should be around 40-50 dB.