780ti or 970

ElsaThenewbie

okay, so im building my first (personal) build, im wondering if i should get a 780ti or 970 (both are probably going to be reference due to the fact im gonna plastdip them to match my black and gold color scheme) currently either of them are the same price, im gonna use the build for gaming, video editing, streaming, 3D designing/rendering, and a lot more, also i am thinking about picking one now and another later for SLI, i know, SLI is crap, but hey gotta take my chances, so yeah... hope you guys can help me choose.

i was considering picking up an rx 480, but the stock cooler is not the same color scheme. plus its louder as far as i know. also the reason im getting reference cards is because im using an asrock z87m oc formula, its matx and if i wanna run sli/xfire it would be waaaaaay better if i get blower coolers due to the air flow.

thanks

970 for vram, 980ti/1070 for good perf so no need for sli

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

damn you guys replied really quick 

4 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

i dont really have the money for 980ti/1070 sadly... thats why im buying used off ebay

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

If you don't need CUDA, an R9 390 would outperform both of those options. No blower coolers available for it though.

thats the problem, the 390 gets waaaay too hot... and they are about the same price, but again, no blower style cooler, so if i get another one later, that would mean it will get super hot

6 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

"maybe picking up a second one later for sli"

kinda implies OP doesnt have the money right now.

on topic: have you considered asus' turbo 970 cards? they are a blower design (that from the looks of it isnt too hard to disassemble for painting) and can intake air from both sides, meaning less heat issues in tight SLI scenarios.

Wait for the 1060?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

13 minutes ago, ElsaThenewbie said:

i was considering picking up an rx 480, but the stock cooler is not the same color scheme

(both are probably going to be reference due to the fact im gonna plastdip them to match my black and gold color scheme)

If you're planning on plastidip, what the heck does it matter what color it is? An RX 480 can be whatever colour you want it to be with enough plastidip ;)

I don't know your budget, but I would highly recommend the RX480 or GTX 1060. 1060 will be released in shortly, have roughly GTX 980 performance, and shouldn't be outrageously expensive. but again, I don't know your budget.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

on topic: have you considered asus' turbo 970 cards? they are a blower design (that from the looks of it isnt too hard to disassemble for painting) and can intake air from both sides, meaning less heat issues in tight SLI scenarios.

hmmm...ive considered them... but from a review i saw from a guy on the pcmasterrace reddit,they are really loud under load 

7 minutes ago, ElsaThenewbie said:

i dont really have the money for 980ti/1070 sadly... thats why im buying used off ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-GAMING-6G-/162134719599?hash=item25bffb7c6f:g:C4kAAOSwAPlXhZhV

Whats the budget for it?

edit. another one

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

If you're planning I don't know your budget, but I would highly recommend the RX480 or GTX 1060. 1060 will be released in a few days, have roughly GTX 980 performance, and shouldn't be outrageously expensive. but again, I don't know your budget.

yeah... my budget is pretty low... currently saving up for up to 230$, and considering i dont really have an actual  job, its gonna take a long time...and like i mentioned in the post, i might be doing SLI later, and as far as i know the 1060 doesnt have sli support...DAMN IT NVIDIA

1 minute ago, ElsaThenewbie said:

yeah... my budget is pretty low... currently saving up for up to 230$, and considering i dont really have an actual  job, its gonna take a long time...and like i mentioned in the post, i might be doing SLI later, and as far as i know the 1060 doesnt have sli support...DAMN IT NVIDIA

you dont really need sli, if you go with 970/1060 if you are playing on 1080p

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

4 minutes ago, ElsaThenewbie said:

hmmm...ive considered them... but from a review i saw from a guy on the pcmasterrace reddit,they are really loud under load 

did he by any chance compare it to a stock cooler? those are loud as well :P

but the reason i'm recommending the turbo is because i saw one of them at my local retailer happily playing witcher 3 in a pretty stuffy case (you know, more sidepanel window and LEDs than actually being a decent airflow case) and it ran surprisingly quiet. although i dont really even have numbers on how much load the card was under.

5 minutes ago, ElsaThenewbie said:

i might be doing SLI later, and as far as i know the 1060 doesnt have sli support...DAMN IT NVIDIA

Oh I didn't hear about that. makes enough sense though I suppose.... why do you NEED SLI anyway? a 480 and 1060 are quite powerful cards. and if that's the case just do 480's. 480 CF puts you between 1070 and 1080 performance in a lot of scenarios. I don't know exactly how it stacks up in rendering and such though.

Although if you have considered all of this already and have your heart set on 780ti or 970, I would take the 970's

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

did he by any chance compare it to a stock cooler? those are loud as well :P

but the reason i'm recommending the turbo is because i saw one of them at my local retailer happily playing witcher 3 in a pretty stuffy case (you know, more sidepanel window and LEDs than actually being a decent airflow case) and it ran surprisingly quiet. although i dont really even have numbers on how much load the card was under.

he didnt compare it to stock, but he said he had some kind of "drone like sound ?" or something like that 

2 minutes ago, ElsaThenewbie said:

he didnt compare it to stock, but he said he had some kind of "drone like sound ?" or something like that 

i feel like that's someone who never used blower cards. the internal design of the turbo cooler isnt much different from the stock blower.

that said, even if it's loud, it's street cred :D

initialising the turbos:

970 and 780 Ti are really neck and neck in new titles. I really loved my 780 Ti, gave me 2'5 years of great performance. Pick up the one you prefer, but if you have the budget, I'd grab RX 480 or GTX 1060 which are going to last you longer. Sadly 780 Ti is starting to become obsolete :(

49 minutes ago, ElsaThenewbie said:

damn you guys replied really quick 

thats the problem, the 390 gets waaaay too hot... and they are about the same price, but again, no blower style cooler, so if i get another one later, that would mean it will get super hot

No it doesn't? Some 390s (like the sapphire nitro) run cooler than most 970s. Also, having a blower cooler makes like a 3 degree difference. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats