How to hook up Anti-Static Strap?

nick5530

How do I use my Anti-Static Strap? What do I hook it up to? Thanks in Advance.

Okay, Step 1, Wrap the velcro around your wrist/leg

Step 2. Take off any socks or anything that could contain electricity

Step 3, Connect the anti-static wrist strap to something metal with the two clip thingys.

Step 4. Well thats pretty much it, from personal experience, an anti-static wrist strap was a waste of money.

Some straps have a plug that goes into a grounded socket and others just clip onto something large and metal, like your power supply, a desk, or something else that is large and metal. Personally when I build my PC, I used some bare copper wire. I wrapped it around my wrist and tied the other end to the metal frame of my desk. All the wrist strap is doing is moving static from you to the the ground. Just any old moderately sized metal object will work.

1 minute ago, Quantum1 said:

Some straps have a plug that goes into a grounded socket and others just clip onto something large and metal, like your power supply, a desk, or something else that is large and metal. Personally when I build my PC, I used some bare copper wire. I wrapped it around my wrist and tied the other end to the metal frame of my desk. All the wrist strap is doing is moving static from you to the the ground. Just any old moderately sized metal object will work.

So like a power supply or case.

1 minute ago, nick5530 said:

So like a power supply or case.

Yes

Just now, Quantum1 said:

Yes

Would the power supply need to be plugged in but not turned on? Just wondering because that is what they say to do if you don't use an anti-static strap and you just touch the power supply occasionally.  

2 minutes ago, nick5530 said:

Would the power supply need to be plugged in but not turned on? Just wondering because that is what they say to do if you don't use an anti-static strap and you just touch the power supply occasionally.  

Yes that would work. Just leave it off and hook it to the metal outside of the PSU.