Questions about editing PCs

ForceApple

What is important for an editing PC? I know that RAM matters but like does the graphic card matter? 

I uses all the adobe suites and at times I video edit. 

It depends on what your version of editing is? Photo, video or audio? Audio is predominantly about storage and read/write times along side CPU horsepower. Video editing and 3D modelling is more along the lines of graphics, RAM and CPU. It also depends highly upon which software you use and what technologies it can utilise. 

Most high end editing pcs have Quadros or Firepro GPUs.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

If you use CS6 and want to render videos faster get a 780 for cuda acceleration, a GPU helps a lot with rendering videos if you are doing pictures, it's CPU more so.

You would want professional video cards like Quadro and FirePro.

For light usage, stick with a high-end enthusiast grade video card like a 780 or a 290X

You would also want a CPU with more than 4 cores to decrease time usage in multi-threaded tasks and sheer performance.

Cpu. the more cores the better (Generally) 

Gpu. Professional WS cards will give the best result but if you game too something like a Titan can bridge that gap.

Ram. 1600 should do fine for just about everything. Anything higher is just law of diminishing returns. But over 8GB+ is recommended

Storage. depending on what you're working on, the uncompressed media that you start from takes up a lot of space, SSD for OS is recommended (but not necessary) A lot of Hard drive space is recommended. Smaller SSD for a scratch disk can come in handy :)

Make sure you get a board that supports special use cards, I.E. capture cards, Professional Video cards etc. Because the last thing you want is to get everything installed and find out something doesn't play nice with your system.

Hope this helps :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Processor, ram and gpu all matter a ton, you pretty much need the best you can afford. Even storage speed matters I use a raid 0 for all my editing. Gpu makes a HUGE difference you NEED CUDA!!!

all hail cuda, all hail cuda, all hail cuda, all hail cuda... 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Depends on your needs.

RAM: Right now, Haswell's sweetspot for RAM is 1866MHz. DDR4 + Haswell-E processors, the sweet spot could be 2133MHz. It is generally considered if you're doing workstation grade editing, 32GB is average, 16GB is minimum. 64GB is overkill, but is used at times.

GPU: Varies. Video editing uses CUDA acceleration. Like Dezel, he has a quadro for true 8bit (or is it 10bit?) color reproduction but a 780 for cuda acceleration. This doesn't matter for photo and music. For photo, a great IPS with preferable 100% in specific color ranges + maybe a quadro is recommended.

CPU: Also varies. You can get away with using an i7K. But there are some people who prefer the extreme editions. More core, higher clock speed, etc. 

All of this depends on what you're doing and what programs you're using.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Depends on your needs.

RAM: Right now, Haswell's sweetspot for RAM is 1866MHz. DDR4 + Haswell-E processors, the sweet spot could be 2133MHz. It is generally considered if you're doing workstation grade editing, 32GB is average, 16GB is minimum. 64GB is overkill, but is used at times.

GPU: Varies. Video editing uses CUDA acceleration. Like Dezel, he has a quadro for true 8bit (or is it 10bit?) color reproduction but a 780 for cuda acceleration. This doesn't matter for photo and music. For photo, a great IPS with preferable 100% in specific color ranges + maybe a quadro is recommended.

CPU: Also varies. You can get away with using an i7K. But there are some people who prefer the extreme editions. More core, higher clock speed, etc. 

All of this depends on what you're doing and what programs you're using.

its 10 bit 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point