Using a television as a monitor?

MaddJon

So i'm planning my first proper PC build (i've been on a laptop for the last few years) and i don't have a monitor for it, mainly because i have a 24 inch lg tv which i use with my PS4. Would i be ok using the tv as a monitor until i can save up for a good monitor? When i use it as a second screen for my laptop the colours and quality are different so i was thinking an actual monitor might be better?

For general use, it's okay. For gaming, the additional post processing of most TVs in introduce undesirable input delay. 

In general, you'll want to use a purpose designed PC monitor for use with a PC. 

2 minutes ago, MaddJon said:

So i'm planning my first proper PC build (i've been on a laptop for the last few years) and i don't have a monitor for it, mainly because i have a 24 inch lg tv which i use with my PS4. Would i be ok using the tv as a monitor until i can save up for a good monitor? When i use it as a second screen for my laptop the colours and quality are different so i was thinking an actual monitor might be better?

It's perfectly alright - it won't harm your equipment or your experience any way! :)

Nothing to see here ;)

Of course a monitor would be better if you want a 'proper' build.

But it will be fine as a temporary solution.

It'll be okay but the response time is subpar for optimal gaming esp on heavier titles.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I've done it.  Let's just say it really really makes you appreciate the monitor when you get it. 

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll probably stick with it for a while and then upgrade to an actual monitor after i've got the actual pc sorted, it does run at 1080p which is what i'm aiming for but an upgrade to an actual monitor would probably be best

if the TV was at least okay with your playstation, it's not the high delay garbage people seem to usually think of when talking about wiring a TV up to your PC.

it's NOT the low latency kind of display people seem to drool all over, but if you have it already, you may as well stick to it for a while if it means you can get better hardware.

I'm using a 22in tv to. But I have a and anthlon 64 x2, 8gb DDR2 ram,  a dieing GTS 450, a hyper 212 evo,  a plain mobo, and a decent gaming case that was a present to me. So I can't tell the diff. I never played game that run well. 

Edited by Jefferson480

I'm 15 birthdays on Tuesday. I'm also trying to get a job in cali

13 minutes ago, MaddJon said:

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll probably stick with it for a while and then upgrade to an actual monitor after i've got the actual pc sorted, it does run at 1080p which is what i'm aiming for but an upgrade to an actual monitor would probably be best

You may want to check if your TV supports disabling its postprocessing effects.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I used a TV for a while as it was what i had on hand and i managed to find and turn on a "Gaming Mode" which drastically reduced the postproccesing on the image. It went from unbearable delay to bearable. I did notice the delay in rhytm games as the display was lagging behind the sound. It ran other titles fine. I suggest you take a look at the TV settings

I used to use a 32" TV back in the day.  That was a bit too big.  It worked just fine though (aside from having to turn my head to see both sides).

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

8 minutes ago, Venator Insontis said:

I used a TV for a while as it was what i had on hand and i managed to find and turn on a "Gaming Mode" which drastically reduced the postproccesing on the image. It went from unbearable delay to bearable. I did notice the delay in rhytm games as the display was lagging behind the sound. It ran other titles fine. I suggest you take a look at the TV settings

i tried to play osu on a tv ... emphasis on tried

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i tried to play osu on a tv ... emphasis on tried

Yup. That's how i figured out too

31 minutes ago, MaddJon said:

-snip-

Definitely go into the TV's menu and disable every "feature" that has "auto" or "dynamic" in the name. Also put it into "game" or "PC" picture mode to get the best possible response time.

With that it should perform pretty well, not as good as a good gaming monitor but should be totally playable.

When in doubt, re-format.

As others have said, be sure to turn off post processing on the TV.

The easiest way to do this, is to just set the TV to "Game Mode".

I have an LG Plasma I actually game on, and that's what I have my inputs set to that I only use for gaming.

However, it is worth mentioning that LG TVs do have a higher latency with gaming when compared to other TVs in their class, even in Game Mode.

However, I use mine fine for playing Overwatch and Destiny on my PS4, and the other games i play from my PC via the Steam Controller.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

2 hours ago, MaddJon said:

I use a 32in Samsung 1080p tv as a monitor and i game on it, I see no issues with it. I play games like Rise of the tomb raider, project cars, etc... the only issue i have is that words are a bit blurry on websites and Ms word, but videos and games are perfectly fine.