I want a gtx 1060 but worried about bottleneck

Redii

I am looking into getting a gtx 1060, along with an AMD a10-7700k cpu, but worried about the cpu bottlenecking the gtx's full potential. I would love some help to see if this processor is powerful enough for the new graphics card, or should invest in something more powerful for around a budget of under $200.

also looking into an Intel i5-4590, but that also changes the whole rig to another $100.

Either I go with the AMD build, and be more cost efficient.

or go with the Intel build, and go beyond my budget of around $650

Chosen AMD Build -

CPU- AMD A10-7700k

MOTHERBOARD- Gigabyte AMD FM2+/FM2 A88X

GPU- Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060

PSU- EVGA 500 W1 80+

RAM- Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb)

Chosen Intel Build-

CPU- Intel i5-4590

MOTHERBOARD- MSI Intel Z97 LGA 1150

PSU- EVGA 500 W1 80+

Thanks!

Obviously, that AMD APU is going to bottleneck the hell out of the GTX 1060, so thats a no-no. Just go for the intel build. Also, I would first wait and see what the RX 480 does against the GTX 1060 and then decide instead of going straight for a GPU we know basically nothing about at the momment.

Edit: typos corrected.

Edited by Dgtal

change the cpu to an i5 6400/6500 and h110 board and a g.skill aegis 8gb, and get a better psu to save some money.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

13 minutes ago, Redii said:

I am looking into getting a gtx 1060, along with an AMD a10-7700k cpu, but worried about the cpu bottlenecking the gtx's full potential. I would love some help to see if this processor is powerful enough for the new graphics card, or should invest in something more powerful for around a budget of under $200.

also looking into an Intel i5-4590, but that also changes the whole rig to another $100.

Either I go with the AMD build, and be more cost efficient.

or go with the Intel build, and go beyond my budget of around $650

Chosen AMD Build -

CPU- AMD A10-7700k

MOTHERBOARD- Gigabyte AMD FM2+/FM2 A88X

PSU- EVGA 500 W1 80+

Chosen Intel Build-

CPU- Intel i5-4590

MOTHERBOARD- MSI Intel Z97 LGA 1150

PSU- EVGA 500 W1 80+

Thanks!

Ok...never go with an APU if your getting a graphics card-AMD does sell versions without the graphics core. However they are only equal to (or slightly better than) Sandybridge i3. Looking at your 2 options, I'd recommend saving up for a bit longer to not go over budget and get the i5 4590, and wait as well to see how well the GTX 1060 actually does. As it is the i5 4590 is definitely worth spending the extra $100. Also, you could get a cheaper motherboard and shave some money off that way-even with an i7 4790K I could easily get by with an Asus H87 Pro and even overclocked it to 4.8GHz (still went with Z97 however in the end as I needed an ATX motherboard and thought that I might as well make it a full upgrade).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Why would anyone want to buy an APU and buy at a graphics card at the same time. Doesnt make any sense to me.

look into i5 6500 and some cheap 1151 board with either z170,h170,h110.

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

3 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Why would anyone want to buy an APU and buy at a graphics card at the same time. Doesnt make any sense to me.

Not that knowledgeable about APU in general? Hasn't kept up with things for several years?

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Not that knowledgeable about APU in general? Hasn't kept up with things for several years?

Could you specify that argument?

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Could you specify that argument?

As in its possible that the OP is replacing an old rig after keeping out of the loop for years.

PMSL

The intel side of things is by far superior here. Go for the intel option. What abotu skylake btw? An i5 6500 would be the most optimal of all the skylake i5s

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

45 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Even if he went with an intel Core i5 6500 it would technically be an "APU" too and that's what I got and it works pretty well to be honest.

1 hour ago, Redii said:

-snip-

And you just wait until tomorrow when 1060 benchmarks are gonna be unveiled and then you can decide and pray that everyone who benchmarks got a normal card like everyone else will and nothing "cherry picked".

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

one thing to consider, is that nvidia cards work better on AMD CPU's than AMD cards, at least in DX11 and OpenGL.  Also, you don't need a 500W PSU for the 1060. a 20-25 dollar (when on sale) EVGA 430W PSU would be fine. I don't recommend it for the 480 though.

This one https://www.amazon.com/Continuous-Power-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0430-KR/dp/B00H33SDR4

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

one thing to consider, is that nvidia cards work better on AMD CPU's than AMD cards, at least in DX11 and OpenGL.  Also, you don't need a 500W PSU for the 1060. a 20-25 dollar (when on sale) EVGA 430W PSU would be fine.

This one https://www.amazon.com/Continuous-Power-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0430-KR/dp/B00H33SDR4

Good point although I would still not get the cheapest cracker of a PSU for max TDP reason.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

4 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Good point although I would still not get the cheapest cracker of a PSU for max TDP reason.

Me neither, but on a budget its considered a solid PSU. JonnyGuru didn't have anything bad to say about it, which is rare. tbh, its my go-to PSU for office computers because of longevity, and it has a very solid 12v rail. Between the 120w TDP of a 1060 and powerdraw of an overclocked CPU, you'd probably at most see a 50% load on the 12V rail of the 430 EVGA, which is where efficiency peaks on any PSU.

But yeah you're right, it is cheap.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

25 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Me neither, but on a budget its considered a solid PSU. JonnyGuru didn't have anything bad to say about it, which is rare. tbh, its my go-to PSU for office computers because of longevity, and it has a very solid 12v rail. Between the 120w TDP of a 1060 and powerdraw of an overclocked CPU, you'd probably at most see a 50% load on the 12V rail of the 430 EVGA, which is where efficiency peaks on any PSU.

But yeah you're right, it is cheap.

I would have thought the power draw is higher but you are probably right.

3.Use

4 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I would have thought the power draw is higher but you are probably right.

Considering what I put my 400W (500W peak-AKA it does 500W in very short bursts)-its surprising how efficient CPU and graphics cards have become in the last 10 years.

PMSL

If your budget is tight, you can't go wrong with a sandy bridge i5. Over in britain, you can get a 2500k for about £40, and a OC motherboard for another £40-£50 or if I wait until tomorrow, £4000-£5000 xD

But seriously, the 2500k will perform well enough to not provide a bottleneck with a 1060.