SLI 980 Ti?

Twitchstick

Just want a few opinions. I have seen the discussion with using a SLI setup, the pros and the cons. I'm fully aware of them as I had a SLI setup only a year ago. Anyway, I have the opportunity to purchase a 2nd 980 Ti SC+ for $400. I've been debating this over the past few days and can't make up my mind. This would hold me over until the 1080 Ti is released hopefully later this year.  I think this is a really good price for one. Thoughts?

If you do want to get a second one, i think you should try and find a used one with a warranty on it, save some money.  The 980 TI is still a fairly new card, so no used ones should really be to "messed up" so to speak.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I should clarify a bit, I would purchase a open box one from Microcenter. It is complete. 

1 hour ago, Twitchstick said:

I should clarify a bit, I would purchase a open box one from Microcenter. It is complete. 

400$ for an open box? No way. Not worth it. Hunt for a sub 400 used card.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Theoretically dual 980TIs would be on par if not slightly surpass the 1080 performance wise. But when you factor in SLI scaling problems and limited (properly implemented) support the actual real world applications of an SLI setup are largely diminished. It really depends on what you plan on doing with those 980TIs. If you just plan on gaming I recommend you stayed with whatever you have in your system for a bit until the 1080 gets released and drops in price or goes in sale.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Something bold and profound about the collapse of Moore's law resulting in a massive

market crash and the fall of capitalism or some shit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

400$ for an open box? No way. Not worth it. Hunt for a sub 400 used card.

I think $400 is a ok price for a 980 Ti SC+ w/ BP. That is what I currently have now. 

17 minutes ago, Raptor_zzr said:

Theoretically dual 980TIs would be on par if not slightly surpass the 1080 performance wise. But when you factor in SLI scaling problems and limited (properly implemented) support the actual real world applications of an SLI setup are largely diminished. It really depends on what you plan on doing with those 980TIs. If you just plan on gaming I recommend you stayed with whatever you have in your system for a bit until the 1080 gets released and drops in price or goes in sale.

No you are misinformed.

A single 980 Ti is on par with a single 1080.

Linus is my fetish.

That makes no sense . . . if so the 1080 is no more than a quirky looking cooler xD 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Something bold and profound about the collapse of Moore's law resulting in a massive

market crash and the fall of capitalism or some shit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯