New Drone Drifting Problem

TheSlicingEdge
Go to solution Solved by Hackentosher,

If it's one of those palm sized ones, keep it in your house and terrorize your dog or smthn. As for the drifting, make sure that you plug it in and let the gyro do it's thing on a level surface. Perhaps when it was zeroing, it was tilted a bit. If this isn't the problem, remember it's still a cheap toy and it's not going to hold perfectly still like an Inspire 1. If the problem is really that big of a deal, you can just add some trim to the right on the roll axis. 

These little things are great to learn on, what quad are you going to get after you learn the ropes? 

I just got a new drone its a small drone. I thought better crash a small inexpensive drone then a big expensive drone when starting. So the throttle works perfectly although once I get into the air it drifts to the side a bit. The drone model is HAK905. I also want to know if I should fly this in a local park or if you think its not rated for such flying. I can post videos and photos if needed.

If it's one of those palm sized ones, keep it in your house and terrorize your dog or smthn. As for the drifting, make sure that you plug it in and let the gyro do it's thing on a level surface. Perhaps when it was zeroing, it was tilted a bit. If this isn't the problem, remember it's still a cheap toy and it's not going to hold perfectly still like an Inspire 1. If the problem is really that big of a deal, you can just add some trim to the right on the roll axis. 

These little things are great to learn on, what quad are you going to get after you learn the ropes? 

ASU

The trouble is that there are air currents even inside your home that can cause even the most perfectly set up quad to drift. It's just the way it works.

@Hackentosher, the reason the inspire 1 holds so still is that it has a pretty decent GPS on it ;)  (in case OP is confused about the 'why')

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

On 7/15/2016 at 10:03 PM, Hackentosher said:

I will most likley get a Phantom 4. If i do decide to get into aerial video.

I built a tri-copter and it seems to have a similar problem drifting on takeoff and while hovering. Adjusting the trim and leveling seems to stop most of the drift but without a gps and compass it's gonna drift a little bit no matter what you do to it.

2 hours ago, Silverwolf_7 said:

I built a tri-copter and it seems to have a similar problem drifting on takeoff and while hovering. Adjusting the trim and leveling seems to stop most of the drift but without a gps and compass it's gonna drift a little bit no matter what you do to it.

What flight controller are you using? Have you tried adjusting ACC trim in cleanflight? That's more likely your issue, or PID tubing. Does it only drift in one direction, or on one or more axes? 

ASU

@Hackentosher I'm using the KK2 so most of the functions can be adjusted on the controller itself. It seems to drift back and to the left but mostly left.

4 hours ago, Silverwolf_7 said:

@Hackentosher I'm using the KK2 so most of the functions can be adjusted on the controller itself. It seems to drift back and to the left but mostly left.

k, first, check your balance. If that doesn't fix it, recalibrate the accelerometer on a level surface. IDK if the KK2 has PID tuning, but that's your last option.

ASU

On 7/19/2016 at 8:41 PM, Hackentosher said:

k, first, check your balance. If that doesn't fix it, recalibrate the accelerometer on a level surface. IDK if the KK2 has PID tuning, but that's your last option.

The (non custom firmware) KK2 has PI tuning. It has no D parameter. 

The KK2 actually has a lot of drift on it though. I had one for a little while, which, if flown in self leveling mode, would drift so far forward that full back on the right stick would only level it. I don't like the KK2 that much for anyone that isn't going to fly acro exclusively.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 minute ago, KaminKevCrew said:

The (non custom firmware) KK2 has PI tuning. It has no D parameter. 

The KK2 actually has a lot of drift on it though. I had one for a little while, which, if flown in self leveling mode, would drift so far forward that full back on the right stick would only level it. I don't like the KK2 that much for anyone that isn't going to fly acro exclusively.

The kk2 is obsolete, especially with the Naze 32 offering much easier configuration and many more features for $20.

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

The kk2 is obsolete, especially with the Naze 32 offering much easier configuration and many more features for $20.

I mean, you can get an XRacer F303 for not much more than a naze. I'm just waiting here to build another quad for 6S, with an F4 FC (Or maybe KISS. I haven't decided yet.)_

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

I mean, you can get an XRacer F303 for not much more than a naze. I'm just waiting here to build another quad for 6S, with an F4 FC (Or maybe KISS. I haven't decided yet.)_

I'm considering upgrading to a KISS board or maybe a Dodo for the better accelerometer chip, but I also need more batteries and a proper radio solution. Seriously, I still don't have a Taranis.

ASU

11 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I'm considering upgrading to a KISS board or maybe a Dodo for the better accelerometer chip, but I also need more batteries and a proper radio solution. Seriously, I still don't have a Taranis.

The Taranis was okay. I ended up getting rid of it because I didn't really like the gimbals. The X9E fixed that issue right up though (also, tray radios are way cooler than normal radios.)

Anyway, the X9E is the better radio by far, if you can deal with the larger foot print.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

7 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

The Taranis was okay. I ended up getting rid of it because I didn't really like the gimbals. The X9E fixed that issue right up though (also, tray radios are way cooler than normal radios.)

Anyway, the X9E is the better radio by far, if you can deal with the larger foot print.

Well I'm a thumber, so tray radios aren't really my thing. Also it looks like that would be a bitch to fit in my bag. I'm also considering a turnigy 9xr pro with an frsky module, but I think I want open TX and the things that comes with it (like custom sounds? How awesome is that?). 

ASU

On 7/25/2016 at 7:28 AM, Hackentosher said:

Well I'm a thumber, so tray radios aren't really my thing. Also it looks like that would be a bitch to fit in my bag. I'm also considering a turnigy 9xr pro with an frsky module, but I think I want open TX and the things that comes with it (like custom sounds? How awesome is that?). 

Custom sounds are super dope, although I have to admit I haven't ventured down that rabbit hole just yet. 

Honestly, it's not a huge radio to carry in a bag, it really would only take up prop space. (From what I hear, you can thumb the X9E if you take the shoulders off.)

OpenTX is definitely the better firmware, but ER9X isn't exactly terrible...

Hey! New SIgnature!