2x GTX 980 Ti's vs GTX 1080?

Carl2608

Hi everyone, im looking for a new graphics solution for my PC and i could use some advice on upgrades. I use this rig mainly to play triple-A titles in 4K, where you can probably see my GTX780 Ti is struggling quite a bit with it's less than optimal 3 GB of VRAM. Ive been considering a GTX 1080 ever since it launched, but i just found a deal on a Gainward GTX 980 Ti Phoenix "Golden Sample" for about half the price of board partner 1080s (like the Strix, Twin Frozer, Windforce etc). I know dual GM200s will beat a single GP104, but can anyone bring up a comparison to show how much faster it is, and/or show if the 6 GB of VRAM is going to be an issue in the near future (4K)? This goes without saying, if dual GTX 980 Ti's are chosen i would have to move to X99 as i have other expansion cards in my system that rule out SLI (1x PCIE Soundcard, 4x PCIE SSD). Another thing to consider: i run my CPU and GPU(s) in a waterloop, so is the powerdraw of two 980 Ti's going to have THAT big of a difference compared to a single 1080?

9 minutes ago, Carl2608 said:

Hi everyone, im looking for a new graphics solution for my PC and i could use some advice on upgrades. I use this rig mainly to play triple-A titles in 4K, where you can probably see my GTX780 Ti is struggling quite a bit with it's less than optimal 3 GB of VRAM. Ive been considering a GTX 1080 ever since it launched, but i just found a deal on a Gainward GTX 980 Ti Phoenix "Golden Sample" for about half the price of board partner 1080s (like the Strix, Twin Frozer, Windforce etc). I know dual GM200s will beat a single GP104, but can anyone bring up a comparison to show how much faster it is, and/or show if the 6 GB of VRAM is going to be an issue in the near future (4K)? This goes without saying, if dual GTX 980 Ti's are chosen i would have to move to X99 as i have other expansion cards in my system that rule out SLI (1x PCIE Soundcard, 4x PCIE SSD). Another thing to consider: i run my CPU and GPU(s) in a waterloop, so is the powerdraw of two 980 Ti's going to have THAT big of a difference compared to a single 1080?

The power draw between 2 980ti's and a single 1080 is going to be huge. It is always recommended to go with a single more powerful card than two less performing gpus. Yes, the two 980ti's will perform better than 1 1080 but in only games that support SLI and scale well. And you should be fine with 4k at 6gb of VRAM.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

A 1080 is like two 980s, so two 980tis will be a bit better.

But with a single card you don't have to deal with SLI issues, game compatibility, scaling, etc...

And a 1080 comes with newer features and longer driver support.

So tbh you should just get a 1080 for $700

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

A 1080 is like two 980s, so two 980tis will be a bit better.

But with a single card you don't have to deal with SLI issues, game compatibility, scaling, etc...

And a 1080 comes with newer features and longer driver support.

So tbh you should just get a 1080 for $700

Thank you! is there an AIB design "to die for" when it comes to the 1080 (with a block-design from EK)?

but 1 question, are there really that many SLI issues with triple-A titles such as GTA V, Rainbow Six Siege and Battlefield? From what i have read it isn't that big of a deal. When it comes to features, there's not a lot where i really go" Wow! I must have that!", at least from what i've seen so that's not going to be the deciding factor. This might be a stretch, but could you maybe link an article or video showcasing the performance difference?