Problem with Either my HDD or Laptop. Help?

For some background info, my normal laptop that I use had a virus, I used another computer to format it and reinstall windows on it, and it works fine.

I have another laptop that has a better cpu and gpu, but the hdd went out on it, so what I wanted to do was take the hard drive from my working laptop and pot it into the broken one to make sure it still worked fine. So I tried that and it had no splash screen and said no bootable device, my immediate reaction was, that my hard drive wasn't working, but I could also hear the hard drive moving. I then put the hard drive back into my working laptop, and it works fine. Can someone help with this, it would be much appreciated.

The broken laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L875-S7377   It has an i7-3630QM, and a Radeon HD 7670M

4 minutes ago, Mastermind7855 said:

-snip-

Chances are good that all you have to do is go into the bios on the "broken" laptop and change some boot settings. most likely candidate is having to enable UEFI boot vs legacy boot, and secure boot. If you are running win8 or 10 that is. If you are using win7, then you may need to disable those things. I would try to match the bios settings that are on the working one to the one that you are having troubles with.

When in doubt, re-format.

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

go into the bios

When the laptop turns on, there is no opportunity to go into bios, i constantly press f2 and nothing happens.

1 minute ago, Mastermind7855 said:

When the laptop turns on, there is no opportunity to go into bios, i constantly press f2 and nothing happens.

It might be F9, F12, delete, enter or escape depending on the manufacturer. Cant say I have much XP with Toshibas, sorry.

3 minutes ago, Mastermind7855 said:

Are you sure F2 is your BIOS key? Maybe try Del, F10 or F12.

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

It might be F9, F12, delete, enter or escape depending on the manufacturer. Cant say I have much XP with Toshibas, sorry.

I am fairly certain F2 is my bios key, or at least one of them.

1 minute ago, Mastermind7855 said:

I am fairly certain F2 is my bios key, or at least one of them.

Del is another really common one.

16 minutes ago, Mastermind7855 said:

For some background info, my normal laptop that I use had a virus, I used another computer to format it and reinstall windows on it, and it works fine.

I have another laptop that has a better cpu and gpu, but the hdd went out on it, so what I wanted to do was take the hard drive from my working laptop and pot it into the broken one to make sure it still worked fine. So I tried that and it had no splash screen and said no bootable device, my immediate reaction was, that my hard drive wasn't working, but I could also hear the hard drive moving. I then put the hard drive back into my working laptop, and it works fine. Can someone help with this, it would be much appreciated.

The broken laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L875-S7377   It has an i7-3630QM, and a Radeon HD 7670M

Try searching up your mobo's BIOS key?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

I seriously tried all of them, there also is no screen that says "Press {Key} To Boot Into BIOS"

does the mouther board have a storage capacity limit? some older computers don't see any drives over a certain capacity.

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

5 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

does the mouther board have a storage capacity limit? some older computers don't see any drives over a certain capacity.

Good point, but I don't think this board is that old. Also, the bigger issue at the moment is figuring out how to get into his BIOS.

10 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

Yeah, no, it came with a 1 Terabyte Toshiba HDD, I was using a 500 Gigabyte Toshiba HDD, it's also from 2012.

6 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Good point, but I don't think this board is that old. Also, the bigger issue at the moment is figuring out how to get into his BIOS.

I've seen a really old AsRock mobo with the whole BIOS essentially being choosing the boot device. 

3 hours ago, Mastermind7855 said:

I tried all that I could, still it only comes up with this screen

14685281175251622665003.jpg

Maybe you should try to make a bootable USB to see if it will boot on the mobo?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

well the hard drive is causeing the problem so remove it from the equation

Right now, I'm making a bootable DVD, because the optical drive seems to work, so I'm going to try that soon.

1 hour ago, Mastermind7855 said:

I got it into BIOS, booted from dvd, went to repair pc, then to boot into UEFI settings.

So problem solved?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

So problem solved?

Mostly, I still don't know why the drive won't boot.

the drives MBR might be corrected so the BIOS might not see it, it happens if you switch hdds i had it happen to me on win xp where the os would not boot up on another computer and it got corrected had to repair it using the xp installer disk

3 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

the drives MBR might be corrected so the BIOS might not see it, it happens if you switch hdds i had it happen to me on win xp where the os would not boot up on another computer and it got corrected had to repair it using the xp installer disk

Yeah, I'm not really sure, I haven't tried actually booting into BIOS with the hard drive in yet, so I'm not entirely sure if the computer detects it or not.

might be a good idea to try get into the BIOS with the drive connected

Ok, I figured it out, either it only works when the sata controller is in ide, or I made a legacy drive instead of a UEFI drive. But it works, so thanks to everyone whom at least tried to help.