The joy of building a PC

c00face

I get this overwhelming joy and sensation when I put the parts together and fix up and try different things. It runs like a monster, but I get no joy from playing games with it. I only love to build it, and I don't care for it anymore. I wonder if anyone else was the same? I guess I'm that type of guy to pick up the parts, put it together, and never use it for its intended purpose.

I like to make a PC that's efficient and is able to use the least amount of power for the tasks I perform. Since the processes they use to make chips continues getting smaller and more efficient it always gives me motivation to improve upon my setup.

If I had the money to start up the service, I'd totally build computers then sell them at a premium. You could do that. Say, you build a relatively powerful PC for $400, you could turn around and sell it for $650, and it'd probably still be cheaper than what you'd buy at a store and if it's not, a selling point for the system could be a completely clean operating system.

Actually, come to think about it, I think you need to be licensed by Microsoft to be selling computers with Windows preinstalled and making a profit off them. In that case, you could either sell them without an operating system bundled or with a Linux distribution like Ubuntu, Elementary OS or SteamOS installed.

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

5 minutes ago, LOLZpersonok said:

If I had the money to start up the service, I'd totally build computers then sell them at a premium. You could do that. Say, you build a relatively powerful PC for $400, you could turn around and sell it for $650, and it'd probably still be cheaper than what you'd buy at a store and if it's not, a selling point for the system could be a completely clean operating system.

Actually, come to think about it, I think you need to be licensed by Microsoft to be selling computers with Windows preinstalled and making a profit off them. In that case, you could either sell them without an operating system bundled or with a Linux distribution like Ubuntu, Elementary OS or SteamOS installed.

I don't think you actually have to if you're an independent system builder.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't think you actually have to if you're an independent system builder.

Maybe you're right. I've never done it so I wouldn't know for sure. I'm pretty sure you'd still need to buy many copies of Windows because one copy is only good for a few computers, I think.

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

That feeling passed away since i put 497 servers together :), damn not to mention the PC's i have put togheter for my hobby for persons.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

I still get the excitement from time to time. I usually get my fix from friends and family wanting me to build them a computer, whether it be a gaming computer or one just for basic uses. I want to say I build about 2-3 computers yearly.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.