PhysX - CPU or GPU ?

G.Cristea
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

You should keep it on the GPU most of the time, but for the average user, leaving it on Auto in the NVIDIA Control Panel is fine most of the time.

Hello there,

I am using a laptop... and even tho is not a bad laptop.. and some games are installed on SSD + is not heating up badly.. because of the internal coolers well... i still find sometimes FPS drops.. one of the problems is when is unplugged (i did change the power settings and make it work to 100% even when is unplugged and is having more FPS drops when is unplugged than on cable(charging) but thats not what i wanted to say .. well the real question.. am i supposed to keep the CPU or GPU at PhysX in Nvidia Settings ? 

I did check and it seems on automatically the GPU sets up as default but should there be the CPU or GPU , some people say CPU is supposed to do it but some other say GPU :/ 

Specs of CPU/GPU:

• CPU: INTEL® Core™ i7-6820HK Mobile Processor 2.70 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.60 GHz
  • VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB PCIe Video w/G-Sync

PS: CPU runs at 3.5GHz (Runs based on the Laptop mode - usually keep it on Gaming so it sets up automatically)

You should keep it on the GPU most of the time, but for the average user, leaving it on Auto in the NVIDIA Control Panel is fine most of the time.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Oh Thank you for reply , good to know,

Also i would like to ask you a different question too, If by any chance i want to change my CPU from the laptop .. what kind of CPU do i need to buy ? normal one or Mobile one ? i mean ive seen the skylake ones,, i7-6700 and .. i thought about changing my one with that one .. or will i have to consider the Motherboard... i mean if it is able to hold this i7- i guess it should be able to hold the other one too right ? ;/

PS: but what kind

1 minute ago, G.Cristea said:

Oh Thank you for reply , good to know,

Also i would like to ask you a different question too, If by any chance i want to change my CPU from the laptop .. what kind of CPU do i need to buy ? normal one or Mobile one ? i mean ive seen the skylake ones,, i7-6700 and .. i thought about changing my one with that one .. or will i have to consider the Motherboard... i mean if it is able to hold this i7- i guess it should be able to hold the other one too right ? ;/

PS: but what kind

Honestly, the CPU might be using a BGA package, which would imply that it's soldered to the motherboard.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

aha , then ill ask the the company themselves to make sure , well ;) thank you 

26 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

It's definitely soldered to the motherboard, but a 6820HK is the best mobile cpu you can get. Desktop CPUs use a different socket, there's no chance you could use one in a laptop anyways

My laptop, the Clevo P750DM-G, uses a desktop LGA1151 CPU.  I have an i3-6100 in it right now.  (The Sager NP9758 is essentially the same, as is, I believe, the Eurocom Sky X4.)  Other desktop-CPU laptops I'm aware of are

• Clevo P870DM-G (there's also an equivalent Sager, forget its model #), which supports LGA1151 and 980M SLI or GTX 980
  • Clevo P750ZM, supporting LGA1150, but it's older now
  • Eurocom Panther 5SE, supporting LGA2011 (not v3 though.  I think it's discontinued now.)

Regarding that Panther - yes, an LGA2011 socket in a LAPTOP!! It's intended for Xeons btw. (Someday I'd like to see Broadwell/Skylake/KabyLake/Cannonlake/Icelake/Tigerlake-E/EP/EX in a tablet or smartphone or smartwatch, along with GTX ??80 Ti or Titan SLI. :D Or at least the equivalently-powerful hardware, that could match it in cinebench and firestrike.)