Still deciding on a monitor setup for my 'soon-to-be' PC-Build

Xiauj
Go to solution Solved by Xiauj,
12 hours ago, mapegl said:

About response times:

Yes 1ms is better than 8. Am I able to notice it? No. Would you be? Maybe. 

So the response time thing is just, personal preference then? :P Understandable!

12 hours ago, mapegl said:

Of course you can use the display ports on your gpu. The question is though: does it have enough? You can however use HDMI for 1080 p monitors. No difference there. That should give you enough ports.

The daisy chain might help you with cable length though, because one monitor will be kinda fear away from your PC.

I was thinking about having this:

This would my monitor setup:

[<<<>>>]       <-Input=HDMI_FromGTX1080

[----][----][----]      <- Input=DisplayPort_FromGTX1080

Key:

[<<<>>>] = Possible fourth monitor (Another Dell one or a Wide one) but I would buy and set it up in about 1-4 months after I've built the PC etc...

[----] = Dell Monitor(s)

If that fourth monitor were to be a Wide monitor, I know it would be strange when dragging like say Google Chrome onto that monitor from one of the Dell ones but that shouldn't be that much of an issue and if it is, well, LTT Forums will probably know what to do lol ;) 

Thankfully, the GIGABYTE G1 1080 has the right quantity of both DisplayPort and HDMI as shown:

0f56a3cc37e0ccc19022b8959082f127.png 

So yeah, that should work out alright.

Hey guys, I still can't decide as to what I should do for a monitor setup for my soon-to-be PC Build. Now before I speak any further I just want to point out that the GPU will be a GIGABYTE G1 1080 will power these monitors for those wondering. Will that suffice and still give me good performance for things like Gaming? Oh and the CPU will be a Broadwell-E 6800k (NON-OVERCLOCKED UNLESS A GOOD OVERCLOCK RESULT SHOWS ONLINE).

I have found recently that I tend to do better on a Wider Monitor for things like Gaming, Modelling/Rendering, Video/Photo editing etc.. but the thing is, I just dunno what to get for a good but not too high price (I'll explain later on).

I use only one monitor at the moment for my current PC and for this new PC setup I was thinking about going with a similar setup to how this guy on YouTube has done his monitor setup:

Keep in mind that the YouTube video shows triple monitor gameplay. I would only be playing this for like 2 or 3 different games only and for FPS games etc.. I would be playing the rest on the MIDDLE monitor only.

I need some ideas!

Now there are a couple of concerns to note as well:

• My first concern is that, I don't know if something like this would actually fit on my corner desk or not. I'll need to do some measuring perhaps. 
    • I probably won't have the monitors wall-mounted either.
    • 1 monitor stand might be needed for the Top monitor though, right?
  • My second concern is that, I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money like say... over £1,000 JUST FOR THE Displays alone :P (Obviously it will cost a fair amount of money but don't want it to be like, £1K+ at least !!)

So, any recommendations?

Not to be insanely picky (;)) as well but, preferably a black border on each monitor, not a fan of white.

Thanks

~Xiauj ^_^

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

I forgot to mention, I would want to play the games at 4k resolution with my 1080 but, can I play 4k resolution on 1440p monitor..?

You can get GOOD 24 Inch 1080P Displays for 100 USD. I am running three displays, I have found that I can run most games at max settings across all three displays with my overclocked Radeon R9 270X. Use Newegg powersearch, and amazon, monitors are easy to find.

Tip: TV's are cheaper than monitors but tend to have thicker bezels, and a few other unwanted features.

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

I forgot to mention, I would want to play the games at 4k resolution with my 1080 but, can I play 4k resolution on 1440p monitor..?

4k on 1440p Monitor? HU??? Why would you wan't to game at higher res than the display?

Computers r fun

In my opinion...

27" 1440p monitors are pretty great. 27" 4k monitors are amazing but I wouldn't say that it is worth the money to upgrade at the moment.

3 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

1080P

I'd prefer to play games at 4k resolution or 1440p..

Use Newegg powersearch, and amazon, monitors are easy to find.

I know monitors can be somewhat easy to find but, I was asking LTT-Forums for some advice..

3 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

can I play 4k resolution on 1440p monitor..?

That's why I was asking because I dunno if 4k UltraWide monitors even exist and for how much...

HU???

What?

Do you mean 1440p on a 4k display? if so, there are reasons why it looks better to play 1080 on a 4k display.

Computers r fun

9 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

And there are 4k Ultrawide displays.

No there aren't

Ultrawide= 2560x1080 OR 3440x1440

4K= 3840x2160

Edited by ShadowTechXTS

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

14 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Do you mean 1440p on a 4k display? if so, there are reasons why it looks better to play 1080 on a 4k display.

Err I dunno, ok let me reword what I mean:

On the bottom, I want 3x of the same monitor if I were to do triple or single monitor Gaming/Whatever.

• If I'm doing triple monitor gameplay, I guess it would be the same resolution and 60Hz like the guy has in the YouTube video that I linked.
  • If I'm doing single monitor gameplay on the middle monitor, I'd probably want to play at like, 1440p or 4k if possible.

Above the middle monitor, I want a nice, wide monitor like the guy has in the YouTube video that I linked.

And obviously I can't play 4k across three monitors.....

13 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

And there are 4k Ultrawide displays.

There are..?

How much..? A link and/or name of some if possible?

6 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

No there aren't

Ultrawide= 2160x1080 OR 3440x1440

4K= 3840x2160

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well.

11 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

I'd prefer to play games at 4k resolution or 1440p..

I know monitors can be somewhat easy to find but, I was asking LTT-Forums for some advice..

That's why I was asking because I dunno if 4k UltraWide monitors even exist and for how much...

What?

1440p monitor: http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16824009849

4k monitor: 

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA24G1ZP5925

1440p ultrawide:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=0JC-000D-003Z3

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Ughhh I'm so confused right now on what to do!

@ShadowTechXTS and others:

What's the cheapest triple 1440p monitor setup perhaps?

And also, what would be a good 1440p ultrawide monitor besides the one you listed because, I'm not sure if I can mount that onto a stand/monitor arm...

Any other cheap 4k monitors?

12 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

And also, what would be a good 1440p ultrawide monitor besides the one you listed because, I'm not sure if I can mount that onto a stand/monitor arm...

Hold on, I'll look.

✨PC Specs✨

14 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Pretty much all of LG's monitors are good, here are their ultrawides:

http://www.lg.com/us/ultrawide-monitors

Another 4K monitor: https://www.google.com/search?q=Dell+PS2715Q&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

The cheapest good 3x1440p setup would be three of these: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QS0AKVK?keywords=1440p&pc_redir=T1&qid=1436299333&sr=8-1

✨PC Specs✨

47 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

The cheapest good 3x1440p setup would be three of these: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QS0AKVK?keywords=1440p&pc_redir=T1&qid=1436299333&sr=8-1

Do you know of any 23" ones perhaps?

I just measured (Roughly) and I think, not sure but I think 3x 25" would be a bit big for my desk.

It's hard to tell what would fit :/ I dunno an easier way lol

If not, then I might have to go for some 1080p ones I guess

35 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Do you know of any 23" ones perhaps?

I just measured (Roughly) and I think, not sure but I think 3x 25" would be a bit big for my desk.

It's hard to tell what would fit :/ I dunno an easier way lol

If not, then I might have to go for some 1080p ones I guess

Here: http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16824236465

✨PC Specs✨

2 hours ago, Xiauj said:

Is that good for gaming? o.O 

I see it has IPS which I thought was meant for Video/Photo editing, then I saw the 5ms.

I might be wrong but was just curious

It'll be fine, IPS is what most higher end gaming monitors use.

✨PC Specs✨

Hi. I am a little late here, but I wanted to let you know that I went from 1080p over to 1440, then 4k and now I have a 2560x1080 monitor from LG. 

1440p was nice, but honestly not crazy wow-factor omg it is so much better for gaming. 4k was also nice, but the resolution is so hard to handle for a 290 that it was no fun turning stuff down, so not really practical.

The ultrawide on the other hand is awesome. This actually felt and feels very different and changed my gaming experience quite a bit. I highly recommend it and if you can afford one if the 3440x1440 panels, well go for it. That's even better. I just sadly didn't have the money. 

Oh yeah, and get an IPS panel for sure, no matter what you get. 

The 4k monitor I had was TN, and despite people saying that it has pretty good colors.....well it was disappointing coming from IPS. Very much so.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

@ShadowTechXTS & @mapegl,

Hey :) So I need an opinion on something.

At the moment I use 1 of these monitors > http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/it/monitor/uhd-monitor/LU28D590DS/ZN

There is a newer model which is called the U28E590D but, I dunno if it's worth using 1 old and 2 new, I don't know the differences, could be major but I dunno.

I've also been looking at some more monitors a little bit more and I've found 2 different options but need your guy's opinions. So what I've found is the following:

What do you think guys?

Part of me feels that the first option would be better but then the other part of me thinks of how much space it will take up :( But I mean also, would look nice for certain triple monitor games so it isn't that much of a issue.

Opinions?

37 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

@ShadowTechXTS & @mapegl,

Hey :) So I need an opinion on something.

At the moment I use 1 of these monitors > http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/it/monitor/uhd-monitor/LU28D590DS/ZN

There is a newer model which is called the U28E590D but, I dunno if it's worth using 1 old and 2 new, I don't know the differences, could be major but I dunno.

I've also been looking at some more monitors a little bit more and I've found 2 different options but need your guy's opinions. So what I've found is the following:

What do you think guys?

Part of me feels that the first option would be better but then the other part of me thinks of how much space it will take up :( But I mean also, would look nice for certain triple monitor games so it isn't that much of a issue.

Opinions?

Well I had the PB287Q whihch has the same panel as the Samsung U28E590D. Don't buy it.
Sure it is a sharp panel, but the colors are aweful, this is subjective, but I would take 1080p IPS over 4K TN any day.

Getting three 1080p 144HZ monitors also seems like something that doesn't really make sense. You will never be able to push those framerates. Maybe on a single 1080p monitor, maybe even on a 1440p panel if your GPU is powerful enough. If you really want 3 monitors, I would much rather get something like the U2414H. It is "only" 60Hz, but has very slim bezels and is IPS AND has a very good stand. All things that are great for a multi-monitor setup.

Seeing how much money you are willing to spend, I am just pointing out that a 34" ultrawide sounds perfect for you. Trust me, the support is better than for triple-monitors, you will have a better experience because you have NO bezels.....and it is so immersive. I wish I had your kind of money for a monitor: I would go out and buy one of these right away:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U3415W-34-Inch-IPS-Monitor/dp/B00R420VAG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1468430129&sr=8-6&keywords=lg+34um95

EDIT: Just so you get an idea why I liike the DELL monitors for multi-monitor setups:

post-10015-1416078380,8812.jpg

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

4 minutes ago, mapegl said:

Well I had the PB287Q whihch has the same panel as the Samsung U28E590D. Don't buy it.
Sure it is a sharp panel, but the colors are aweful, this is subjective, but I would take 1080p IPS over 4K TN any day.

So the U28D590D is worth keeping? Ok good.

8 minutes ago, mapegl said:

Trust me, the support is better than for triple-monitors, you will have a better experience because you have NO bezels.....and it is so immersive.

8 minutes ago, mapegl said:

Hmm ok sweet! I'll bear that in mind!

I do however have a question. If I ever wanted an extra monitor or two being roughly 23" or something like that, would that be possible? Would my GPU (GIGABYTE G1 1080) handle it?

The reason I might add an extra monitor or two (I dunno where xD lol) is because, I tend to multitask from time to time which means having multiple windows open.

I could possible add 2 above the Dell monitor but I dunno yet.

15 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

So the U28D590D is worth keeping? Ok good.

Sorry, I kinda misread that you already have that monitor. Still, I stand by my personal opinion: I think the TN planels are bad. But as I also said, this is subjective.

16 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

I do however have a question. If I ever wanted an extra monitor or two being roughly 23" or something like that, would that be possible? Would my GPU (GIGABYTE G1 1080) handle it?

The reason I might add an extra monitor or two (I dunno where xD lol) is because, I tend to multitask from time to time which means having multiple windows open.

I could possible add 2 above the Dell monitor but I dunno yet.

Well I guess your 1080 should be more than capable of handling an extra monitor. Support on the website states 4 monitors, so you would be good with either setup.

However I always find it irritating when resolutions are different or to be more specific when pixel/inch is different.

So for my 29" 2560x1080 I could get a 23" 1080p monitor and have no weird differences in size when moving a window to another screen.
Same goes for a 34" ultrawide with a 27" 16:9 monitor, granted both have a vertical res of 1440.
Check out http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-21x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

This website helps to compare monitor-size.

If you would get 3 of the Dell U2414H panels, I would suggest getting a fourth one for the top. That would look great. Also something that you can do with those monitors is, you can dasiy-chain them. Only three I think, but you would only need two cables from you PC then. Kinda cool.