How is this PC?

nick5530

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($85.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($34.49 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.95 @ Directron) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $691.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-12 11:38 EDT-0400

It will be mainly used for gaming at 1080p.

I was originally with the Z170 A, but went with the Z170 E because it is 30 without rebate and 50 w/ rebate cheaper. 

Also, I plan to get the 1060 once aftermarket cards start to come out for it.

49 minutes ago, partypanda64 said:

I wouldn't buy a Z170 motherboard for that processor because you can't OC. You can probably find a cheaper H170 board.

I was doing it with the future in mind because I will likely upgrade to an overclockable CPU or sli.

15 hours ago, nick5530 said:

~snip~

Hey there nick :)

I'd second @partypanda64's suggestion since swapping CPUs is a risky thing and you may be better off simply upgrading everything down the road when needed. 

I'd also go for a single 8GB memory stick instead of 2x4GB as it would be more cost-friendly, it would give you more room for upgrade down the road and you shouldn't notice any performance drops. 

The rest seems quite good. :) Feel free to ask if there are any questions! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

10 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there nick :)

I'd second @partypanda64's suggestion since swapping CPUs is a risky thing and you may be better off simply upgrading everything down the road when needed. 

I'd also go for a single 8GB memory stick instead of 2x4GB as it would be more cost-friendly, it would give you more room for upgrade down the road and you shouldn't notice any performance drops. 

The rest seems quite good. :) Feel free to ask if there are any questions! 

Captain_WD.

I'll third the suggestion of not putting a locked CPU in an unlocked mobo. 

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Though for the price that mobo isn't bad. But an H170 or H110 mobo would still be a little cheaper.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

18 hours ago, nick5530 said:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

>$25 Windows 10 OS

Maybe you don't have to upgrade.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 

^Get a H100i V2 in the future?
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($119.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($34.49 @ Amazon) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 

^BX200 is kinda old, get CS1311, SP550, Trion 150 or X400s
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.80 @ Amazon) 

^3TB 7200rpm 64MB cache Hitachi Ultrastar for $20 more
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 

^Consider same price case with better airflow: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/97zv6h/corsair-case-cc9011042ww
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.98 @ Newegg) 

^Saved a few bucks by switching from 650 to 550W
Total: $681.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

15 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

How is risky to upgrade CPU? Wouldn't it just be harder to upgrade CPU\motherboard? Also, another reason I went with the Z170 is for SLI.

14 hours ago, nick5530 said:

~snip~

You are more likely to upgrade the whole platform before you encounter CPU bottlenecks and swapping CPUs has a risk of bending some of the connectors (same as placing a new CPU on a motherboard). If you believe that you will be going for a multi-GPU down the road then, by all means, go for this type of a motherboard. Simply have in mind that most people prefer to upgrade their systems down the road instead of adding more parts.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/