what does a smaller cpu dye do?

what does a smaller cpu dye do? intels 6800k has 8 cores on 14nm dye when amd has a 8 core on a 32nm dye. is it just adding more trainstors? 

14/32nm doesn't refer to the die size but rather the spacing between transistors. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

14/32nm doesn't refer to the die size but rather the spacing between transistors. 

and how does that help?

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

and how does that help?

they can fit more transistors into a chip

5 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

and how does that help?

At 14nm you can fit more transistors in the same amount of space. More transistors = faster performance (assuming you're comparing the same architectures -- performance/efficiency is dependent on a multitiude of factors -- architecture, frequency, manufacturing node, # of transistors, etc...)

So take the GTX1080 and GTX980Ti for example, a 1080 is 314mm while a 980Ti is 601mm yet the 1080 has a similar number of transistors while being almost half the size. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Smaller transistor sizes are also more power efficient.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

A smaller manufacturing node, allows you to increase the amount of transistors set in a limited area and it also allows for better efficiency so it uses less power. eg. when Haswell's 22nm went to skylakes 14nm (poor broadwell, forever forgotten) the smaller node allowed a lower tdp. We didn't see much of an performance increase from Haswell to Skylake was because instead of putting more transistors down they decided to go for efficiency.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

At 14nm you can fit more transistors in the same amount of space. More transistors = faster performance (assuming you're comparing the same architectures -- performance/efficiency is dependent on a multitiude of factors -- architecture, frequency, manufacturing node, # of transistors, etc...)

Note: The same architecture. Some CPUs cannot be compared directly. (I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm highlighting a key point)

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

look at it like this:

the processor is a company the transistors on the processor are offices.

the closer the offices are together the faster they can communicate, the less energy it takes, and the more offices they can put inside the company building.