Future build, tell me your thoughts

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cYtFd6

So this is what I have planned out at least at the moment. Just one thing, I'm going with a GTX 1080 not the 1070 I have on the list, Ill be going with the MSI Seahawk. But anyways, Im trying really hard for a black and green build, and along with some custom painting Ill be doing. I wish I could pick up a decent Z170 board that matched color scheme, but for now that will do. Ill probably end up painting the thermal spreaders anyways. If anyone has any green and black parts they can recommend or just general criticism for this build please feel free to tell me

14 minutes ago, sad robot boy said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cYtFd6

So this is what I have planned out at least at the moment. Just one thing, I'm going with a GTX 1080 not the 1070 I have on the list, Ill be going with the MSI Seahawk. But anyways, Im trying really hard for a black and green build, and along with some custom painting Ill be doing. I wish I could pick up a decent Z170 board that matched color scheme, but for now that will do. Ill probably end up painting the thermal spreaders anyways. If anyone has any green and black parts they can recommend or just general criticism for this build please feel free to tell me

why mx-4 thermal paste instead of our beloved arctic silver 5? also, you'll use a gtx 1080 on a monitor fit for a gtx 1060, if you are to use that monitor, cut back on the gpu budget, otherwise this will not be very balanced, basically, a rx480/gtx1060 will be sufficient to max out most games at 1080p, which is the max your monitor can do. also you use very high-end cpu and gpu but you use an entry motherboard, why is that? basically, my tip would be to try to balance things out to make more sense.

you use very expensive 120mm fans, you could easily divide your fan budget by two with no issues, you would'nt need the sound card if you had a slightly better motherboard with good integrated sound (motherboards can last you many builds and upgrades so it's worth it) in fact i don't think you need the sound card at all even with this mobo...

other than that, it's a neat build, i would just remove some money there and add some there to balance things out. the biggest issues i saw in your build is the 24 inch 1080p monitor combined with a gtx 1080, either cut somewhere to get a better monitor (1440p 27'' or better) or downgrade the gpu, also if you don't plan to overclock you can get something like a i7 6700 (no k)

also, i don't really know about soundcard and wifi adapter, that's 100$ that i think even your z170-A mobo can handle...

I don't know my friend recommended me that, but if arctic silver is better Ill look into it

2 minutes ago, Howitz said:

why mx-4 thermal paste instead of our beloved arctic silver 5?

because mx4 performs the same, doesnt have a 200 hour burn in time, and isnt electrically conductive

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

1 minute ago, DrM said:

because mx4 performs the same, doesnt have a 200 hour burn in time, and isnt electrically conductive

oh, alright

1 minute ago, sad robot boy said:

I don't know my friend recommended me that, but if arctic silver is better Ill look into it

It doesn't really matter, MX4 is fine. You're build is good but you have a cooler right?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

3 minutes ago, DrM said:

wut? arctic silver is'nt conductive and don't have 200 hour burn time if that's what you tried to imply...?

4 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

It doesn't really matter, MX4 is fine. You're build is good but you have a cooler right?

yeah, the case, it has a preinstalled one with a 360 MM rad, looks like something out of resident evil

there seems to be a distinct lack of cpu cooler. why the m.2 850 evo? its not nvme and $20 more than normal sata3. there isnt really a point to sound cards anymore, as it still has interference from inside the case compared to an external dac/amp. that many noctua industrial fans will sound like a turbine, which kinda explains the noise cancelling headphones. however, all that airflow doesnt help performance much and is definately overkill. youd be better off getting some normal noctua or bequiet fans and some actually good headphones. for reference:

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

7 minutes ago, Howitz said:

wut? arctic silver is'nt conductive and don't have 200 hour burn time if that's what you tried to imply...?

as5 is just outdated. its not bad, but there are better alternatives.

While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

15 minutes ago, Howitz said:

why mx-4 thermal paste instead of our beloved arctic silver 5? also, you'll use a gtx 1080 on a monitor fit for a gtx 1060, if you are to use that monitor, cut back on the gpu budget, otherwise this will not be very balanced, basically, a rx480/gtx1060 will be sufficient to max out most games at 1080p, which is the max your monitor can do. also you use very high-end cpu and gpu but you use an entry motherboard, why is that? basically, my tip would be to try to balance things out to make more sense.

you use very expensive 120mm fans, you could easily divide your fan budget by two with no issues, you would'nt need the sound card if you had a slightly better motherboard with good integrated sound (motherboards can last you many builds and upgrades so it's worth it)

I don't, my friend basically put this together for me, Im kinda, not really too well informed about PC parts, at least about the monitor, I want the 1080 for those xXx_tr1ppl3_A_titlez_xXx and if you have something for the board recommend away, and I don't really know about the fans either he recommended me them, and also whats up with the monitor? its 144 Hz and I don't NEED 4k

6 minutes ago, DrM said:

there seems to be a distinct lack of cpu cooler. why the m.2 850 evo? its not nvme and $20 more than normal sata3. there isnt really a point to sound cards anymore, as it still has interference from inside the case compared to an external dac/amp. that many noctua industrial fans will sound like a turbine, which kinda explains the noise cancelling headphones. however, all that airflow doesnt help performance much and is definately overkill. youd be better off getting some normal noctua or bequiet fans and some actually good headphones. for reference:

the case has a preinstalled 360 MM rad, and only supports 120 MM fans, I honestly dont know about the sound card, but alright Ill look into that, and I guess I want the M.2 versions for less cables cluttering my case, its only 2, I know but its whatever really, and please recommend away for fans

Also, what thermal paste do you recommend, (I know I say that word a lot) because there's a lot of discussion and I need a tl;dr version

9 minutes ago, sad robot boy said:

I don't, my friend basically put this together for me, Im kinda, not really too well informed about PC parts, at least about the monitor, I want the 1080 for those xXx_tr1ppl3_A_titlez_xXx and if you have something for the board recommend away, and I don't really know about the fans either he recommended me them, and also whats up with the monitor? its 144 Hz and I don't NEED 4k

the case has a preinstalled 360 MM rad, and only supports 120 MM fans, I honestly dont know about the sound card, but alright Ill look into that, and I guess I want the M.2 versions for less cables cluttering my case, its only 2, I know but its whatever really, and please recommend away for fans

theres nothing wrong with the monitor, but there's something wrong with the combination you want to do, what i mean is, monitor resolution and size have it's toll on a graphics card performance, for instance a weaker graphics card will have difficulty running a game on a large 4k monitor in its native resolution but could be more than sufficient for a small 1080p monitor.

In your case it's the opposite scenario, the gtx 1080 will be able to run games with good performances on a 4k monitor, but will be completely obscenely overkill on a 24 inch 1080p monitor like the one you put in the parts list. either pick a weaker/less expensive graphics card or pick a monitor with a better resolution/larger size.

and for the monitor, you can easily save a lot of money in the fans, sound card, and wifi adapter to put on a better monitor. i mean, i don't know if you're sure about the case either because it's a very expensive one, you could get a very good atx case for like 100$. if you don't plan to overclock you can replace the i7 6700k by a i7 6700(no k) and save 50$ there as well, i mean, there's a lot of fat to cut and add somewhere else as muscle if you know what i mean.

as for the fans, you use a very large amount of them, usually two intake fans in the low front, and one in the high back are good enough (hot air goes up) plus you use very expensive 23$ ones, you could easily save 60$ just by buying 4 x 15$ fans instead of those 6 x 23$

4 minutes ago, sad robot boy said:

Also, what thermal paste do you recommend, (I know I say that word a lot) because there's a lot of discussion and I need a tl;dr version

mx4 is perfectly fine, though whenever you buy a heatsink it comes with thermal paste thats just as good.

7 minutes ago, sad robot boy said:

please recommend away for fans

budget+quiet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0613

quiet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0611

performance http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026

performance + quiet https://www.amazon.com/Noiseblocker-NB-eLoop-B12-PS-120mmx25mm-Silent/dp/B008RO65UU

the first 2 arent great for radiators since the static pressure is pretty low. id recommend getting either of the last 2 for your rad and bequiets for case fans (though you dont have to fill every single spot, since theres diminishing returns on that and you reach a point where adding more fans doesnt do anything)

3 minutes ago, Howitz said:

theres nothing wrong with the monitor, but there's something wrong with the combination you want to do, what i mean is, monitor resolution and size have it's toll on a graphics card performance, for instance a weaker graphics card will have difficulty running a game on a large 4k monitor in its native resolution but could be more than sufficient for a small 1080p monitor.

In your case it's the opposite scenario, the gtx 1080 will be able to run games with good performances on a 4k monitor, but will be completely obscenely overkill on a 24 inch 1080p monitor like the one you put in the parts list. either pick a weaker/less expensive graphics card or pick a monitor with a better resolution/larger size.

I mean, I only want 24 inhes, and 1080p because down scaling ftw, and I play a lot of FPS games, and 24 is even stretching it for me, Id rather go with a 21 to 22 inch monitor so I can at least SEE everything going on screen, and high refresh rate because BUTTERY SMOOTH, and its being picky, yes, but hell I got the money Im willing to drop

1 minute ago, sad robot boy said:

I mean, I only want 24 inhes, and 1080p because down scaling ftw, and I play a lot of FPS games, and 24 is even stretching it for me, Id rather go with a 21 to 22 inch monitor so I can at least SEE everything going on screen, and high refresh rate because BUTTERY SMOOTH, and its being picky, yes, but hell I got the money Im willing to drop

then you could get a 24 inch 4k gsync monitor instead of a 1080p no gsync one.

1 minute ago, Howitz said:

then you could get a 24 inch 4k gsync monitor instead of a 1080p no gsync one.

but I don't want 4k

but I don't want 4k

then if your needs are a 24inch 1080p monitor, downgrade the whole thing and save some money. get a gtx 1070 with a straight i7 6700 or even gtx 1060 with i5 5600. lots lots of money to save here, and that perfectly fits your needs, as it's also a question of needs.

my humble opinion on this whole thing is that you're about to buy a 2600$ computer to do a job a 1000$ one would do perfectly.

like, same thing with the ssd, if you buy an hdd with it, you either need a low capacity ssd for system and some games, combined with an high capacity hdd for all the rest

OR

just an high capacity ssd for everything. and with this build you're going for high capacity ssd and high capacity hdd...

6 minutes ago, Howitz said:

then if your needs are a 24inch 1080p monitor, downgrade the whole thing and save some money. get a gtx 1070 with a straight i7 6700 or even gtx 1060 with i5 5600. lots lots of money to save here, and that perfectly fits your needs, as it's also a question of needs.

my humble opinion on this whole thing is that you're about to buy a 2600$ computer to do a job a 1000$ one would do perfectly.

like, same thing with the ssd, if you buy an hdd with it, you either need a low capacity ssd for system and some games, combined with an high capacity hdd for all the rest

OR

just an high capacity ssd for everything. and with this build you're going for high capacity ssd and high capacity hdd...

My theory is that, high refresh rate, small 1080p, which the 1080 could easily pick up, possibly even at 1440p, and hell I could just get a gsync 1080p monitor, but for the CPU, I do a lot of graphical editing, and use high CPU intensive programs for productivity, so I'm pretty set on that. But for the GPU, its kinda a sense of being able to keep this investment and still use it on games years down the line since this card packs a pretty good punch to it, and still being able to do my work with it.

Pretty beastly build.

IMO you don't need an add-in sound card unless you plan to be doing some sort of music production, or hooking up to a surround sound system. Onboard audio is fine in many situations nowadays, and honestly casual users won't hear a single difference.

10 minutes ago, Howitz said:

Seeing as he would have spare performance headroom, he could max out antialiasing to reduce the rough edges on onscreen graphics (Some GPUs get taxed heavily from antialiasing :/ Don't know if that's the case with the 1080, but I doubt it would). That's what I'd do in this situation. But then again a 1080 is still overkill-ish

5 minutes ago, Howitz said:

<snip>

Agreed.

If this system is solely for gaming then the cpu is most certainly overkill though

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

3 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

Pretty beastly build.

IMO you don't need an add-in sound card unless you plan to be doing some sort of music production, or hooking up to a surround sound system. Onboard audio is fine in many situations nowadays, and honestly casual users won't hear a single difference.

Seeing as he would have spare performance headroom, he could max out antialiasing to reduce the rough edges on onscreen graphics (Some GPUs get taxed heavily from antialiasing :/ Don't know if that's the case with the 1080, but I doubt it would). That's what I'd do in this situation. But then again a 1080 is still overkill-ish

Agreed.

If this system is solely for gaming then the cpu is most certainly overkill though

Its a productivity / gaming rig

to everyone saying the card is overkill: that's the intent, I WANT overkill because I want to be able to use it for a long while and the CPU choice was intentional

to everyone saying the card is overkill: that's the intent, I WANT overkill because I want to be able to use it for a long while and the CPU choice was intentional

you're better buying a 300$ card now, and another 300$ card in 2-3 years than a 600$ card right now if the 300$ one will fit your present needs, you never know what new architecture R&D might come up with in the upcoming years, maybe in 2 years the gtx1080 will be vastly outperformed by some 300$ new card...

plus after some time electronics fail if you are not lucky =(