1070 vs 980ti vs R9 Fury

mathmeister

My five options are:

MSI GTX 1070

GIGABYTE 980ti

MSI 980ti

Water-Cooled MSI 980ti

XFX R9 Fury

They all cost around the same price (Water-Cooled 980ti is more expensive but I don't mind). Which card should I go with and why? Power consumption isn't a main priority, I'm looking for raw performance, cooling, and silence in that order.

Fury is the worst of the 3, 980ti and 1070 are about equal at stock speeds but the 980ti overclocks more, if the 980ti is cheaper than the 1070 it's not a bad option otherwise go 1070 due to it being newer(which will help down the line with drivers and such)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Fury is the worst of the 3, 980ti and 1070 are about equal at stock speeds but the 980ti overclocks more, if the 980ti is cheaper than the 1070 it's not a bad option otherwise go 1070 due to it being newer(which will help down the line with drivers and such)

The 980tis are $50 cheaper so should I go Gigabyte or MSI.

1070 is better all around.

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the 1070 do better at 1440p than the 980ti though?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, mathmeister said:

Gigabyte since its cheaper

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

2 minutes ago, mathmeister said:

Extreme gaming should out perform the msi model you have listed

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Extreme gaming should out perform the msi model you have listed

It's also cheaper so I think I'll go with that.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

1070 is better all around.

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the 1070 do better at 1440p than the 980ti though?

At stock speeds maybe, but as I said it overclocks better

I am going to pick the 980ti Extreme gaming for 400 euros because the cheapest 1070 is 500 euros... not worth it at all.

1 minute ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

I am going to pick the 980ti Extreme gaming for 400 euros because the cheapest 1070 is 500 euros... not worth it at all.

The price difference is only $50 so I have to think but I think I'll go wiht the Xtreme Gaming as well

6 minutes ago, mathmeister said:

I'd still pick the Gigabyte extreme gaming, you could also wait for the 1070 to come down in price though, as I said driver wise it will be better supported, but if this is happening in less than a month the 980ti I mentioned will likely be your best bet

10 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

At stock speeds maybe, but as I said it overclocks better

Idk comparing OCs on GPUs seems to be a somewhat infutile. I mean OCing on GPUs does seem to have a bigger benefit than CPUs but there seems to be more variables with GPUs that don't make quite as fair.

@AresKrieger But it kinda sounded like Drivers or something kinda made Kepler cards not as good against Maxwell. Not sure if Nvidia will/could do the same with Maxwell and Pascal.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 minutes ago, wcreek said:

@AresKrieger But it kinda sounded like Drivers or something kinda made Kepler cards not as good against Maxwell. Not sure if Nvidia will/could do the same with Maxwell and Pascal.

Yes and no, what happens is nvidia starts supporting new tech (tessilation in the case of maxwell) which makes the old cards drop off in newer titles, but unless he plans to use VR I don't see this being as big an issue as that this time

However I did say

you could also wait for the 1070 to come down in price though, as I said driver wise it will be better supported,

because I wanted to get that point across in case this wasn't an urgent thing, since they will support the new cards more since it makes the most fiscal sense to do so.

Yes and no, what happens is nvidia starts supporting new tech (tessilation in the case of maxwell) which makes the old cards drop off in newer titles, but unless he plans to use VR I don't see this being as big an issue as that this time

However I did say

because I wanted to get that point across in case this wasn't an urgent thing, since they will support the new cards more since it makes the most fiscal sense to do so.

The lower price tag is better for me so 980ti it is

I have the EVGA GTX 1070 SC. Not a computer genius but it runs extremely well. I'd recommend it has good speeds for a good price (compared to alternative 1070s)

I had the chance of getting a Asus 980ti ROG for €480 but desited to wait for the 1070 to get a little cheaper. 

(Zotac AMP 1070)

Watercool a 1070 :) it will oc like  a beast

And definatly hold Thoes boost clocks

ul have all the newest features and driver support for the longest time :) 

u could possibly oc the 980tinon water to 1600 MHz and slightly beat the 1070 but not to the point where it's worth missing out on all the new features 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933