Software for Server/NAS?

I'm wondering about what the best way to do software for my server is.

I'm going to running a server, wich will have a virtualized NAS, Minecraft server, and web server. I also have my main pc, and my laptop.

I'm wondering about software suggestions. Currently I'm thinking about something like this:

Server runs Windows, and has a 3rd party virtualization software. Then the NAS will run Ubuntu maybe? 

What would that virtualization software be? What about for backups? Will Ubuntu work the best?

Thanks 

Linux,Ubuntu,Microsoft Server

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

Or if you want to go one level deeper, use Limetech Unraid. That way you can assign hardware resources to each VM (for example dedicated CPU Cores). If you want more information on the possibilities with Unraid just watch the Use your Gaming PC as nas video.

A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it’s not that good.

My setup: AMD FX-8350, 16GB DDR-1600, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX

2 minutes ago, OxymoRonald said:

Or if you want to go one level deeper, use Limetech Unraid. That way you can assign hardware resources to each VM (for example dedicated CPU Cores). If you want more information on the possibilities with Unraid just watch the Use your Gaming PC as nas video.

People kind of drove me away from unraid saying dimple Ubuntu is better. Not sure why. Maybe I will use unraid.

It really depends on what you want, and if you're on a tight budget, Unraid isn't free unlike Ubuntu

A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it’s not that good.

My setup: AMD FX-8350, 16GB DDR-1600, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX

28 minutes ago, HighRez said:

People kind of drove me away from unraid saying dimple Ubuntu is better. Not sure why. Maybe I will use unraid.

unRAID gives you convenience. It comes with a powerful web interface that you can use with other devices on your network, and it's designed to have as little compromises as possible with multiple services while running off of a single USB stick.

While you can achieve just about anything in unRAID with just Ubuntu for free, it might end up being a lot more work, depending on what you want to do.

Virtualization is virtualization. With the proper setup, neither are really better. In the end, they're both operating systems running virtualization software.

35 minutes ago, OxymoRonald said:

It really depends on what you want, and if you're on a tight budget, Unraid isn't free unlike Ubuntu

17 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

unRAID gives you convenience. It comes with a powerful web interface that you can use with other devices on your network, and it's designed to have as little compromises as possible with multiple services while running off of a single USB stick.

While you can achieve just about anything in unRAID with just Ubuntu for free, it might end up being a lot more work, depending on what you want to do.

Virtualization is virtualization. With the proper setup, neither are really better. In the end, they're both operating systems running virtualization software.

Alright. Sounds like unraid makes sense. Budget isn't really a problem. 

Thanks.

You also may take a look at FreeNAS. You can run a minecraft or webserver as plugins (jails).

It's free and has a great community, but it may not be so easy to use as unRAID...

give gluster a look

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?