Raid 5 rip in peace

Zach Is Kill
Go to solution Solved by leadeater,

Recover My Files can get the data off a RAID array, you will have to turn RAID off on the SATA chipset to do it as it will need raw access to the disks in Windows to do it.

By the looks of it 2 disks got their RAID headers wiped which is why they are no longer members of the array. The other option is to recreate the RAID5 array using the same settings and disks but do not initialize the array, do the data recovery first! This is of course assuming the disks only got their headers wiped and when you reinstalled Windows it didn't do it on one of the 500GB disks, if it did Recover My Files is the only option, or similar tool.

On mobile,

In short, I have a Raid 5 consisting of x4 500gb hard drives.

Summer was not cooperating with the over clock, so I hit the restore defaults in the bios.

I tried to restart, kept getting blue screen 'inacessible boot device'

It automatically 'repaired' itself which wasn't working, and it gave me an option to reinstall windows, so I said 'ehh, fuck it, let's see what happens' and I only expected it to touch the boot disk. But my raid is only half showing up. I have roughly 1tb of stuff on it. And it would be nice to recover it, but not to pay for it.

1468136678115-1272323456.jpg

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

My condolences. Best thing would be to ask the almighty Google for a RAID 5 recovery.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

Have you tried restarting it? :Þ

Yes

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

I would make a USB bootable Windows OS and use that to get the software and try to repair it if possible. I wouldn't be too pessimistic or optimistic though.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, Zach Is Kill said:

Yes

I'm not a raid expert, I'm happy my RAID 1 for my simple NAS worked.
But I think there are tools out there to fix this if the raid controller isn't dead ;)

Recover My Files can get the data off a RAID array, you will have to turn RAID off on the SATA chipset to do it as it will need raw access to the disks in Windows to do it.

By the looks of it 2 disks got their RAID headers wiped which is why they are no longer members of the array. The other option is to recreate the RAID5 array using the same settings and disks but do not initialize the array, do the data recovery first! This is of course assuming the disks only got their headers wiped and when you reinstalled Windows it didn't do it on one of the 500GB disks, if it did Recover My Files is the only option, or similar tool.

52 minutes ago, Zach Is Kill said:

Have you not backed up your data?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

27 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Okay, I've switched raid to ahci and now I keep getting a blue screen that says 'inaccessible boot device' and I've run into this problem twice and had to reinstall twice. I'm positive that it is booting off of my ssd with windows.

Restarting doesn't help.

47 minutes ago, Zach Is Kill said:

Okay, I've switched raid to ahci and now I keep getting a blue screen that says 'inaccessible boot device' and I've run into this problem twice and had to reinstall twice. I'm positive that it is booting off of my ssd with windows.

Restarting doesn't help.

Okay, got past the boot error. I noticed one of the disks doesn't show up like the others, and in disk manager, it appears to be mostly unallocated. Is this normal? Or is everything toast and there's no more point in trying? Sorry its late, but I would prefer to have the data, assuming its still possible to recover, as soon as possible. EDIT: I can't download anything. Tried installing Recover My Files. Have absolutely no idea what's wrong. I have never seen this before.

1468143319902-2143562489.jpg

1468143346266-1662834278.jpg

Holy shit okay, good news, found my backups of the important files. But there are some less important files that I'd like to recover from the raid. Recovermyfiles seems to be working, but its my understanding that it costs money to recover files from a raid 5. Is there any way to recover the files without spending any money?

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Give testdisk a shot, its free. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Wow, coincidentally found that same program about half an hour ago. The data was successfully recovered. Backing up everything now. Thanks

2D9CB15A00000578-0-He_started_early_Bark

Remember, kids. Backup and image your drives.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler