Gaming sudden decrease in Performance

_JohnB330ci
Go to solution Solved by don_svetlio,
2 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Okay, for the intel drivers should I just reinstall the graphics driver?

Install the drivers from Dell's site. Also update your BIOS to the latest version

Hey, sorry currently I'm at my dads on my laptop (Inspiron 15-7559, i7-6700HQ, 960M 4G, 8GB Ram etc.) Anyway, so last night I was playing Overwatch completely fine, maxed out, 80-90fps, now, this morning, when starting up the game, it kept crashing my GPU drivers, and now I can't get above 30fps? I have no idea whats going on? Any suggestions?

I also have these errors in event viewer:

YELs8AT.pngu6PFyzb.png5ekXju4.png

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

9 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Hey, sorry currently I'm at my dads on my laptop (Inspiron 15-7559, i7-6700HQ, 960M 4G, 8GB Ram etc.) Anyway, so last night I was playing Overwatch completely fine, maxed out, 80-90fps, now, this morning, when starting up the game, it kept crashing my GPU drivers, and now I can't get above 30fps? I have no idea whats going on? Any suggestions?

I also have these errors in event viewer:

YELs8AT.pngu6PFyzb.png5ekXju4.png

Did you try reinstalling drivers?

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Did you try reinstalling drivers?

Well, it was doing this, and then I got notified of a driver update, so I installed new ones, which didn't fix it?

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

With that decrease it's probably disabling the discrete GPU and using the integrated iGPU (NVIDIA Optimus does this to save power when not running intensive applications).

Best would probably be to update drivers and restart, maybe check NVIDIA control panel and make sure it's set to use the 960M when running GPU-intensive applications like Overwatch (or other games).

Good luck :)

3 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Well, it was doing this, and then I got notified of a driver update, so I installed new ones, which didn't fix it?

To be honest, I'm willing to bet it was the driver update.

1 minute ago, JMaio said:

With that decrease it's probably disabling the discrete GPU and using the integrated iGPU (NVIDIA Optimus does this to save power when not running intensive applications).

Best would probably be to update drivers and restart, maybe check NVIDIA control panel and make sure it's set to use the 960M when running GPU-intensive applications like Overwatch (or other games).

I've done the update and restarted multiple times, I'm guessing it is this, as games are running as if on battery power, where would I go in the control panel to change this? there is a section for PhysX configuration to select the processor which is set to Auto-select, but when in Overwatch, the game says it is using the 960M

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

To be honest, I'm willing to bet it was the driver update.

It was doing it before and after though, the driver update fixed part of the problem, because before it, whenever I would launch the game, the drivers would crash, the new drivers stopped that.

1 minute ago, SherifsDog22 said:

It was doing it before and after though, the driver update fixed part of the problem, because before it, whenever I would launch the game, the drivers would crash, the new drivers stopped that.

Ah, misunderstanding things then, my bad.

Ah, misunderstanding things then, my bad.

I feel like its something to do with the PC not realising its charging, cause its performing like it would on battery power, but I don't know what could cause this?

9 minutes ago, JMaio said:

Okay I'm fairly sure its this problem, as the GPU fan is spinning up at all, and is staying at 50oc, but how do I fix it to use the 960M? Cause I've set it to do so already

5 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

I've done the update and restarted multiple times, I'm guessing it is this, as games are running as if on battery power, where would I go in the control panel to change this? there is a section for PhysX configuration to select the processor which is set to Auto-select, but when in Overwatch, the game says it is using the 960M

If it says it's using the 960M, then you're likely right about it thinking it's on battery power.

Have you tried the Windows Power settings? Right-click on the battery in taskbar -> Power options -> High Performance.

Alternatively, make sure your power cable is plugged in securely at both ends, and make sure you have power :P

Also, maybe you have some kind of "eco utility" that reduces performance at hardware level (maybe a dedicated button, or an "FN + F-key" combo, maybe a program?).

4 minutes ago, JMaio said:

If it says it's using the 960M, then you're likely right about it thinking it's on battery power.

Have you tried the Windows Power settings? Right-click on the battery in taskbar -> Power options -> High Performance.

Alternatively, make sure your power cable is plugged in securely at both ends, and make sure you have power :P

Also, maybe you have some kind of "eco utility" that reduces performance at hardware level (maybe a dedicated button, or an "FN + F-key" combo, maybe a program?).

I've checked the power settings, and its on Dell's Balancing, but I'm tried Performance as well, with no difference, I've made sure its plugged in and Windows recognises that it is charging, and as far as I'm aware I don't, but I will have a check through.

Right, well I did all this, restarted, went into OW, and bam, high fps, then I joined a game, and the drivers crashed, new sggestions? @JMaio @Starelementpoke

Overwatch threwback the error: " 

Right, well I did all this, restarted, went into OW, and bam, high fps, then I joined a game, and the drivers crashed, new sggestions? @JMaio @Starelementpoke

Overwatch threwback the error: "Your rendering device has been lost! Application Closing!"

@don_svetlio What did you say Nvidia's last stable driver was?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

How do I backdate to this?

DDU and download it manually. Then never update again.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Go to the website, find the driver page, look for the download/page for that driver.

Overwatch threwback the error: "Your rendering device has been lost! Application Closing!"

That message makes it sound like Optimus disabled the 960M :o

Try disabling Optimus altogether to keep the 960M as your main GPU, then when you're done remember to switch it back to default: this should keep the GPU on and the fps high and steady (setting is probably in NVIDIA control panel), keep in mind this will drain battery quickly if you don't set it back to normal afterwards.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

DDU and download it manually. Then never update again.

DDU?

1 minute ago, JMaio said:

That message makes it sound like Optimus disabled the 960M :o

Try disabling Optimus altogether to keep the 960M as your main GPU, then when you're done remember to switch it back to default: this should keep the GPU on and the fps high and steady (setting is probably in NVIDIA control panel), keep in mind this will drain battery quickly if you don't set it back to normal afterwards.

If he disables Optimus it won't boot at all.

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

If he disables Optimus it won't boot at all.

Should I uninstall the 3D Driver? Or just the main driver?

2 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Should I uninstall the 3D Driver? Or just the main driver?

All of them. Also, remove GFE. It's cancer on laptops