First Computer Rig - How is it?

Hi. I'm relatively new to this forum (so hi all) and somewhat new to building computers.  I've been working on this list for a little while now (a good many months) and it has been changing as I learn more and more of this subject.  I would really appreciate it if a few of you could look at my list of parts and tell me if I have made any stupid mistakes.

- My budget is approximately $1000 (American) not counting parts I already have.  I am however prepared to go a bit above that. (yet I would love to have money left over).

- The main aim of the rig would be gaming and general use (but mostly gaming). I would also like to do some dual booting stuff eventually.

- I would like 2 monitors eventually (one will do for now). 

Here is the pcpartpicker link but I will also go through each part here to describe why/my feelings for a part. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/LYnHhq

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor: I have already bought this so there is no really changing this.  Problem with having bought this is it limits my motherboard options. 

Deepcool CAPTAIN 360 273.4 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing Liquid CPU Cooler: It looks cool.:DThat and I'm fed up with overheating computers.  (A story for another time and I should probably just clean out the computer)

MSI Z97A GAMING 9 ACK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard: I am not completely sold on this motherboard.  I found it when I was first looking around for motherboards and was drawn in by their features and cool looking website.  (Please pull me back out of my own trap if I have made a bad decision)

PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory: The cheapest, best looking Red/Black 2x8 16 GB of RAM I found (At lease through PCPartPicker).

AMD Radeon R3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive: 2 of them so I can run them in RAID 0.

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive: I actually already have this 1TB drive and its not specifically this one (but it is a Seagate Barracuda). I thought I would use this as my backup drive for the RAID 0 so I would not have to delete one instance of them to have room enough for another.

Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive: I put this on there mainly to replace this 3TB one I found (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD3KE4290) but then realized its only $4 more.  Which one should I get?  Also, on the new egg one, the only review said something about the NSA loading spyware onto marked down drives.  I this really a thing I need to worry about?

NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower Case:  Im sorry.  I just like how this case looks.  Not really willing to change my mind (however will if need be).

Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply: Thought this was relatively good and I wanted a semi-modular/modular PSU.

Video Card:  I honestly have no darn idea.  Please help me with this...

Peripherals: I also have no darn idea but from what I can tell it's mostly personal so I might be alone on that one but i would appreciate some affordable recommendations.

OS: Will most likely have windows as my main OS but I do plan to dual boot with a few other operating systems even though it will be a headache and I will probably do it on a separate hard drive so I don't.....mess things up.

Monitors: No idea...even though it is kind of important to be able to see the games you are playing...

That's pretty much everything I can think of.  If I'm missing something (I probably am) please let me know and I'll edit it.  Thanks in advance!

grab a used GTX970 and get a better PSU

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Would you suggest one from here or should I look more specifically?

4 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

grab a used GTX970 and get a better PSU

R9 390 RX 480 > GTX 970

Get a better PSU, something like an EVGA GS/G2/GQ 550w would be nice.

For the video card, get a GTX 1070 or used 980ti if you can afford them, if not get an board partner RX 480 (like the Nitro)

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

im confused as to why you need so much storage. You aren't exactly hosting a server or doing serious programming on your computer so i doubt the need of a 3Tb(??) hard drive. Why don't you not buy that and use the money for a gtx 1060 or 1070?.  As for the motherboard, perhaps you could buy a msi krait edition, and then use the 25 dollars saved and buy corsair dominator ram instead. Better latency and it would techinically cost the same. And white and green + black would look ok if you got some green led strips or something. If you are really particular about the colour, the gigabyte Ga-G1.sniper motherboard would be a good choice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128604

2 minutes ago, legonate416 said:

R9 390 RX 480 > GTX 970

Board partner 480 w/ driver update > R9 390 > RX 480 > GTX 970

The custom 480s with factory OC are said to outperform 390s and even some 390X's

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

OP honestly since you already have a part list on PCPartPicker, you might as well post on the forums there as well. No offense to the community here but you might get more and/or better opinions there than here. 

19 minutes ago, DarthJake said:

Hi. I'm relatively new to this forum (so hi all) and somewhat new to building computers.  I've been working on this list for a little while now (a good many months) and it has been changing as I learn more and more of this subject.  I would really appreciate it if a few of you could look at my list of parts and tell me if I have made any stupid mistakes.

- My budget is approximately $1000 (American) not counting parts I already have.  I am however prepared to go a bit above that. (yet I would love to have money left over).

- The main aim of the rig would be gaming and general use (but mostly gaming). I would also like to do some dual booting stuff eventually.

- I would like 2 monitors eventually (one will do for now). 

Here is the pcpartpicker link but I will also go through each part here to describe why/my feelings for a part. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/LYnHhq

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor: I have already bought this so there is no really changing this.  Problem with having bought this is it limits my motherboard options. 

Deepcool CAPTAIN 360 273.4 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing Liquid CPU Cooler: It looks cool.:DThat and I'm fed up with overheating computers.  (A story for another time and I should probably just clean out the computer)

MSI Z97A GAMING 9 ACK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard: I am not completely sold on this motherboard.  I found it when I was first looking around for motherboards and was drawn in by their features and cool looking website.  (Please pull me back out of my own trap if I have made a bad decision)

PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory: The cheapest, best looking Red/Black 2x8 16 GB of RAM I found (At lease through PCPartPicker).

AMD Radeon R3 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive: 2 of them so I can run them in RAID 0.

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive: I actually already have this 1TB drive and its not specifically this one (but it is a Seagate Barracuda). I thought I would use this as my backup drive for the RAID 0 so I would not have to delete one instance of them to have room enough for another.

Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive: I put this on there mainly to replace this 3TB one I found (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD3KE4290) but then realized its only $4 more.  Which one should I get?  Also, on the new egg one, the only review said something about the NSA loading spyware onto marked down drives.  I this really a thing I need to worry about?

NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower Case:  Im sorry.  I just like how this case looks.  Not really willing to change my mind (however will if need be).

Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply: Thought this was relatively good and I wanted a semi-modular/modular PSU.

Video Card:  I honestly have no darn idea.  Please help me with this...

Peripherals: I also have no darn idea but from what I can tell it's mostly personal so I might be alone on that one but i would appreciate some affordable recommendations.

OS: Will most likely have windows as my main OS but I do plan to dual boot with a few other operating systems even though it will be a headache and I will probably do it on a separate hard drive so I don't.....mess things up.

Monitors: No idea...even though it is kind of important to be able to see the games you are playing...

That's pretty much everything I can think of.  If I'm missing something (I probably am) please let me know and I'll edit it.  Thanks in advance!

Can you just get the PCPartpicker list? Or just link to the partlist itself? Just makes it easier to look through things.

9 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Can you just get the PCPartpicker list? Or just link to the partlist itself? Just makes it easier to look through things.

If I understand what you are saying I believe the link is in the 3rd paragraph (even though it is not a paragraph).

If I wanted to change some of the parts do you all think it would be wisest to directly change it or, just strikethrough the old part and put the new one?

4 minutes ago, DarthJake said:

If I understand what you are saying I believe the link is in the 3rd paragraph (even though it is not a paragraph).

If I wanted to change some of the parts do you all think it would be wisest to directly change it or, just strikethrough the old part and put the new one?

Ah, I see. Didn't notice it. Might be better to strike it out.

Do you plan on OCing your CPU?

I may or may not over clock.  I probably will just for the experience and the extra boost and since with water cooling I should be able to keep up with the heat.  Do you agree?

2 minutes ago, DarthJake said:

I may or may not over clock.  I probably will just for the experience and the extra boost and since with water cooling I should be able to keep up with the heat.  Do you agree?

Well, you'd need a different CPU then. Your's isn't unlocked. And if you just plan for a little one, you could easily get away with a cheaper cooler. Also, your case doesn;t have a price on it. And some of the parts have the prices manually entered, where are you getting them from?

The CPU and the 1TB HD are both priced at $0 because I already have them and the motherboard is manually priced because PCPartPicker wont admit its existence but it is around and the average appears to be about $300.  However I might change the motherboard.  And about the case it would appear someone just recently stopped carrying it.  Found an amazon link here but I would probably wait for the price to go down somewhere else.

HA! forgot the link..... here

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zyK4qk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zyK4qk/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.49 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.00 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($55.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($68.80 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card  ($269.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: LG 22MC57HQ-P 21.5" 60Hz Monitor  ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $996.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-08 23:16 EDT-0400

You can switch the SSD back if you want, Raid 0 just seems kind of pointless to me. Parts edited for ones that won't fleece you as much and fit a black and red color scheme. Case fits scheme as well. You can't OC your CPU, so a water cooler is overkill in every sense. The 212 would suffice.

would you be willing to sell your 4590 and upgrade to a skylake instead?

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

Red/black theme inside a Razer green case don't look good to me so I went with a black/white/silver interior instead. You won't be needing a 360mm cooler if your not overclocking, also why you don't need a Z97 mobo but I went with one anyway for the aesthetics and sub $100 price. I replaced the black/red ram with black/silver corsair. Those AMD R3 SSDs are gone as well replaced with better M7Vs. Forget the $4 savings and stick with the Hitachi Ultrastar HDDs. Replaced corsair psu with 10 year warranty 80+ gold EVGA for just $10 more.

For the video card, don't buy anything yet. Waiting for the GTX 1060 is your best option unless you wanna go with the RX480 now and possibly regret not waiting a little longer :D.

When looking for a monitor, you wanna go with at least 23" ones with IPS panel(IPS>VA>TN) like the one I included. There are also the 144hz monitors if you're into FPS like CSGO but they cost almost 2x the price and have less color range cuz their panels are mostly TN.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($92.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($65.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Plextor M7V 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Plextor M7V 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($64.95) 
Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition STEEL ATX Mid Tower Case  ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: AOC i2367Fh 23.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 ($250.00)
Other: Windows 10 OEM @ Kinguin.net ($25.00)
Total: $995.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-09 00:56 EDT-0400

Other SSD recommendations:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/7v38TW/pny-internal-hard-drive-ssd7cs1311240rb

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/rwcMnQ/ocz-internal-hard-drive-trn15025sat3240g

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/ghkwrH/mushkin-internal-hard-drive-mknssde3240gb

Edited by antisleep
  • Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud