Headphone dillema - HD800 or HE-560

Timmyfox

I'm looking to increase my headphone collection and slightly torn for which one to purchase.
For some background; Earlier today I went to my local audio dealer to demo and compare a couple of the headphones they had in stock. I, of course, brought along my primary pair (the Sennheiser HD650) as well as essentially an entire portable audio chain (Nexus 6P USB out > ODAC > O2) to allow an as-close-as-possible comparison using my own gear.

The ones that I liked the most were the Hifiman HE-560 and Sennheiser HD800. I went a back and forth in preference quite a lot whilst comparing these two, going through quite a majority of my personal music library. About half of my music I preferred with the HE-560 and the other half with the HD800.

Initially I was quite biased towards the HD800, being quite a fan of Sennheiser overall as well as it having been on my wishlist for quite long now. I was surprised though by the HE-560 sounding better to me in many of the first few songs I played. Eagles' 'Hotel California' was one that stood out as being hands down better with the HE-560. However, 'The Sound of Silence' by Simon and Garfunkel was one track which I had high expectations of sounding just amazing from them but, to my surprise, then found that the HD800 did quite a lot better.

And then as I went on through my fairly varied library containing everything from soundtracks, instrumental music, pop music, electronica and ballads to heavy metal I found one group of songs I highly preferred with one headphone, making me feel like that's the one I prefer overall just to have it flip where the next group or songs I preferred with the other one. In the end equating to about half of my library being preferred with each respective headphone over the other.

One thing was quite clear though, I did indeed prefer both of them compared to my beloved pair of HD650 in most relevant areas. So either would, to me, be considered an upgrade.

Long story short; I compared two headphones, the Hifiman HE-560 and the Sennheiser HD800, and have trouble deciding which one I like more.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

Well, it would help to know what you liked about each headphone. Otherwise you're just pawning off your indecision onto us, which doesn't seem very productive. I own the HD-560, but haven't heard the HD 800.

The HD800s are generally considered some of the most precise, analytical, and boring headphones to listen to. I'm fairly surprised that you actually enjoyed them more than your HD650s O.o
Personally, I'd go with the HE-560 over the HD800s, buuuuut, audio is really just personal preference, so it really comes down to, which one did you simply like listening to more?
Also, have you also considered/auditioned the HE-400i? It's supposedly just a less expensive version of the HE-560 with a similar sound.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

Well, it would help to know what you liked about each headphone. Otherwise you're just pawning off your indecision onto us, which doesn't seem very productive. I own the HD-560, but haven't heard the HD 800.

2 minutes ago, Pankaic said:

The HD800s are generally considered some of the most precise, analytical, and boring headphones to listen to. I'm fairly surprised that you actually enjoyed them more than your HD650s O.o
Personally, I'd go with the HE-560 over the HD800s, buuuuut, audio is really just personal preference, so it really comes down to, which one did you simply like listening to more?
Also, have you also considered/auditioned the HE-400i? It's supposedly just a less expensive version of the HE-560 with a very similar sound.

Well, overall I would say I liked them about the same but in different ways.

Mainly I'm looking for reasons and suggestions why one might want to pick one over the other beyond what I've already concluded in terms of audio and comfort.

I might add that the HE-560 is a bit cheaper new but the dealer also had a pair of HD800 which had been previously been used as a demo unit which would be my cheapest option by a slight margin.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

4 minutes ago, Timmyfox said:

Well, overall I would say I liked them about the same but in different ways.

Mainly I'm looking for reasons and suggestions why one might want to pick one over the other beyond what I've already concluded in terms of audio and comfort.

I might add that the HE-560 is a bit cheaper new but the dealer also had a pair of HD800 which had been previously been used as a demo unit which would be my cheapest option by a slight margin.

Well, the HE-560 doesn't have the nasty 6kHz peak that the HD 800 suffers from. It also gets you that "planar bass"; that is, extension, low distortion, and lack of emphasis or bleed into the mid-range. Very clear and realistic through the upper mids.

HD800 is good to have if you want to compare other headphones against it, as it seems to be getting reputation about being the most accurate headphone.

I use it from time to time to check how a piece of music sounds like with a neutral sound signature.

However, if you need that bass, and you can only choose one and don't have any other bassy headphones, maybe HE-560 is better choice for you.

2 hours ago, StormEye said:

However, if you need that bass, and you can only choose one and don't have any other bassy headphones, maybe HE-560 is better choice for you.

the HE-560 is not bassy headphones, they are very flat in their FR. OP I kinda had the same choice some months back where there was a mix-up with some HE-400i old model and HE400i new model and I got an offer on the HD800 and HE560, but I could only buy one of them and I got to try one of my friends HD 800 for a day, where I tried playing games with them and listened to music and I loved them even though they could be a little hard to your ears in BF4, but then one of my friends showed me the HE 560 and DAMN they were also insane. I chose the HE 560 because they were better for me in 5/8 scenarios and I kinda already have some k612 that did what I wanted in the last 3 scenarios, not as well as the HD800 ofc. Choose the headphones that you like the most for the things you do the most.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.