Buy AKG K7XX Audiophile Headphone?? Amp Recommendations?

SethDavis
Go to solution Solved by SethDavis,
54 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

try with onboard first and maybe if you want, read this.

Great article. Any comments on the headphones?

HEADPHONE QUESTION

So I'm currently using a pair of ATH M50s that I got about 5 years ago for my daily driver. I like them but I would like to upgrade to something a bit better. It would be nice to have a separate pair of headphones I could leave at work. 

I was looking at the Massdrop x AKG K7XX Audiophile Headphones. I've heard they are similar to the Seheiser HD 600s which I like. Does anyone have any experiance with these?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

Alternatively, If anyone has any better recommendations at the $200 price range 

AMP QUESTION

I would like a recommendation for an amp. Something that would make sense with the price of headphones I'm suggesting.

The only experience I've ever had with amps was a small portable $20 Fiio E6 that broke in a few months. Looking to plug heaphones into the amp and amp into computer. Something clean that would look nice to leave on my desk at work. 

Thanks in advance Audiofiles,:D

Seth 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

54 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

2 minutes ago, SethDavis said:

They are great.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

9 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

They are great.

If you don't like them, then you can just sell them and not loose that much money.

17 hours ago, Dackzy said:

If you don't like them, then you can just sell them and not loose that much money.

I sold mine at a profit actually. But they were from the original drop.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

17 minutes ago, spwath said:

I sold mine at a profit actually. But they were from the original drop.

If you get without getting VAT here in Denmark you can earn 100$ on them. They go for around 300$ used...

21 hours ago, SethDavis said:

HEADPHONE QUESTION

So I'm currently using a pair of ATH M50s that I got about 5 years ago for my daily driver. I like them but I would like to upgrade to something a bit better. It would be nice to have a separate pair of headphones I could leave at work. 

If you're looking for something to wear at work an open headphone might not be what you're looking for, depends on your work situation and if you have people around you that might get disturbed. The K7XX's won't insulate much sound so you'll be able to hear people around you and they'll be able to hear your music almost as if its playing in the room

21 hours ago, SethDavis said:

Alternatively, If anyone has any better recommendations at the $200 price range 

. Another great option around that price point is the Fostex T40/T50rp MK3, its $159.99 on Amazon right now but with replacement pads and a replacement cable it comes to about $210. I would say the pads are almost a must-have but the cable you don't necessarily need, more just a preference upgrade. The T40's are closed, and the T50's are semi-open, alternately there's a T20 too which are open and apparently a bit more "bassy" but again if you're using it a work environment where there's people around you it might not be a great option.

CPU: Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura | RAM: G.Skillz Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (4 x 8GB) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Edition | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Case Fans: NZXT Aer RGB 120mm x 3 + NZXT Aer RGB 140mm | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Edition | Lights: NZXT Hue+ | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB LUX Mouse: Zowie EC2-A | DAC/AMP: Schiit Magni Uber + Schiit Modi Uber | Headphones: Sennhesier HD598 SE + Fostex T50RP Mk3 w/ Mayflower Mods | Mic: Antlion ModMic 5.0 | OS: Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Artemiis said:

semi-closed

semi-open*

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

semi-open*

well pardon me, semi-open

CPU: Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura | RAM: G.Skillz Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (4 x 8GB) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Edition | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Case Fans: NZXT Aer RGB 120mm x 3 + NZXT Aer RGB 140mm | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Edition | Lights: NZXT Hue+ | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB LUX Mouse: Zowie EC2-A | DAC/AMP: Schiit Magni Uber + Schiit Modi Uber | Headphones: Sennhesier HD598 SE + Fostex T50RP Mk3 w/ Mayflower Mods | Mic: Antlion ModMic 5.0 | OS: Windows 10