Peculiar graphic card issue

I have been having an issue with my two GTX 970's which I run in SLI ever since I accidentally overclocked them waaay too high by that I mean the sliders were set as high as they could go and saved I wont go into too many detail as I would like to get to the point but know that it was not entirely my fault. I nearly had a heart attack my PC would crash while trying to load the desktop and somehow through all this my display driver became completely corrupt and without a display driver I cant dial back the overclock so while my cards were having a meltdown I was installing display drivers once installed I dialed the overclock back to stock and since have applied an extremely modest overclock yet since that day I have had a few odd issues 1. I occasionally get this error while entering or exiting full screen applications such as going into full screen mode on YouTube or extending a window to fill the screen "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 258.96 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."  The screen only turns black for a split second and everything continues as normal like the error never happened 2. After playing games after a fair deal of time maybe 4 or more hours I sometimes yet once again not consistently have an issue where my screen will go black but this time stay that way, my two displays will receive no signal but the computer continues to run I often listen to music or watch YouTube on my secondary display while I play and the audio from those still play but no audio from the game I was just playing so i'm not sure if the game itself is suspended or had crashed at the same moment the screen went black or what regardless once it does this I cannot get the picture back whether I unplug the display cable or what have you. I must hard restart the computer (using the power button). So that's jist of it sorry if its a bit much to read I appreciate any help the community can offer and will try to provide more details if necessary.

2 minutes ago, magnumkobra said:

Take off the overclock and see if that helps. that is usually a sign the gpus cant handle the clock.

Alright I can try that the current OC is fairly modest as I didn't want to push them much after that but I will try running them completely stock to see if that changes anything thank you for the input

Just to add another point I may have not made clear my games run perfect on these cards i'm not saying they didn't take any damage from my tinkering but their performance had been on point besides for these issues which I just want more info on ultimately I can live with them if I must also I my temps have not appeared too high when these black screen occur but I haven't ruled out overheating entirely. I have seen threads with this display driver error before but their issues didn't seem to match mine also fyi i'm running Win 10.