Should I wait for the gtx 1080ti or get the 1080?

k2711000

I got a msi 980 ocv1 oveclocked to 1400mhz with a boost up to 1570mhz should I change to a gtx 1080 strix or wait for the 1080ti?

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

well the 1080ti is going to be a fair bit more expensive, but if you can afford it, I would recommend waiting. What resolution are you currently on?

What do you mean by what resolution are you on?

Your monitor. What resolution are you currently playing on? what resolution do you intend to play on? a 980 is plenty for 1080p nowadays if thats all you're doing.

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

Your monitor. What resolution are you currently playing on? what resolution do you intend to play on? a 980 is plenty for 1080p nowadays if thats all you're doing.

Oh yeah I'm on 1080p but I'm planning to buy a Asus LCD LED 25'' MX25AQ

well if you're upgrading, a 1070 might be in order. but you dont really need more than that. But you could certainly wait for 1080ti if you can afford =)

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

well if you're upgrading, a 1070 might be in order. but you dont really need more than that. But you could certainly wait for 1080ti if you can afford =)

No budget limit so I guess I might just blow it all on that baby

if there is no budget, may as well get a 10 series titan in SLI and then just never have to upgrade again =)

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

if there is no budget, may as well get a 10 series titan in SLI and then just never have to upgrade again =)

I like how you think m8

On a more serious note, if there is no budget, why not 4k, and/or a monitor with G-sync if you're thinking 10800ti/titan? those cards will definitely be able to play 4k at 60hz. 1080 can almost do it already, and they will be a big step up from that. I mean I'm currently playing 980ti on a 1080p panel for my own reasons, but most people LOVE that 4k display, and if you have 1080ti/titan, you're going to have the horsepower to pull it off.

3 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

On a more serious note, if there is no budget, why not 4k, and/or a monitor with G-sync if you're thinking 10800ti/titan? those cards will definitely be able to play 4k at 60hz. 1080 can almost do it already, and they will be a big step up from that. I mean I'm currently playing 980ti on a 1080p panel for my own reasons, but most people LOVE that 4k display, and if you have 1080ti/titan, you're going to have the horsepower to pull it off.

Actually I posted the wrong monitor (this is the actual monitor Asus LCD LED 28'' PB287Q 4KUHD) where I live there are no g sync monitors on sale (to my knowledge) and no I cant buy online (goddamn capital controls).

alright fair enough. well gl with your system =) definitely wait for 1080ti/titan though. a card like that would last you a very long time for sure =)

6 hours ago, Zyndo said:

well the 1080ti is going to be a fair bit more expensive, but if you can afford it, I would recommend waiting. What resolution are you currently on?

How much/ when will it come out? 

Nvidia has not set a release date. I've heard rumors of it coming out Q4 2016 or Q1 2017. If we look at the 900 series, it took them 6 months to come out with their titan, and 9 months to come out with their 980ti after the release of the 980. So these rumors may not be too far off. But they are just speculating, so who knows when Nvidia will actually bring the hammer down on AMD with these.

6 hours ago, Zyndo said:

alright fair enough. well gl with your system =) definitely wait for 1080ti/titan though. a card like that would last you a very long time for sure =)

Thanks for your help!

For now you are fine with GTX 980 on 1080p, so let is stay that way.

Upgrade your monitor once you can buy GTX 1080 Ti, or at least wait for more informations regarding that GPU.

It will cost more than GTX 1080, that's for sure. Probbably 1000$ price range.

If you will be upgrading to 4K, you should wait for it.

But for 1440p, GTX 1080 will do just fine for next few years with everything on ultra settings.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

43 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

For now you are fine with GTX 980 on 1080p, so let is stay that way.

Upgrade your monitor once you can buy GTX 1080 Ti, or at least wait for more informations regarding that GPU.

It will cost more than GTX 1080, that's for sure. Probbably 1000$ price range.

If you will be upgrading to 4K, you should wait for it.

But for 1440p, GTX 1080 will do just fine for next few years with everything on ultra settings.

Good stuff

Titan P is coming. Prepare yourself. HBM2. Still prefer the 1080 Ti with 16 Gb Vram though. Titan P will prolly be $1500

15 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Titan P is coming. Prepare yourself. HBM2. Still prefer the 1080 Ti with 16 Gb Vram though. Titan P will prolly be $1500

1500$? I know I said no budget but holy macaroni that thing is expensive.

1 minute ago, k2711000 said:

Well....I'm just guessing based on what some paid for a new Titan X right when it came out, which was around $1300 US.   Horrible investment but they didn't care. A year later and it's lost more than 50% it's value, lol. Never buy the most $$$ GPU. Buy the one that does the best job closest to the top of the line card.

11 minutes ago, k2711000 said:

Well HBM2 is not cheap xD 

Maybe it will have 8192 cores and will blow away and GPU alive lol

But I guess it won't have more than 4096 cores.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

The new Titan should just be Tesla. IMO. Titan X should be the end of that series.

36 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Well HBM2 is not cheap xD 

Maybe it will have 8192 cores and will blow away and GPU alive lol

But I guess it won't have more than 4096 cores.

The TItan P is rumored to be so powerful that even the i7 6950x is going to bottleneck it, if it is true well holy moly we are in for a ride.

9 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

The new Titan should just be Tesla. IMO. Titan X should be the end of that series.

If it is gonna be so powerful it might as well be a tesla

24 minutes ago, k2711000 said:

The TItan P is rumored to be so powerful that even the i7 6950x is going to bottleneck it, if it is true well holy moly we are in for a ride.

And that's why we have 22 cores CPUs :P 

WD My Cloud 4TB