rx 480?

Firefly_

So I've been really wanting to upgrade my gpu and the 480 might finally make it happen. I had a few questions though.

-would the card be compatible with my dell xps 8700, and would it even be worth is(like would it be bottle necked)

-I'm on a pretty low budget so I was thinking about just getting the 4gb but would saving for the 8gb be worth it?

-Should I wait a little for some after market models? I'll probably have to wait a bit anyway so. 

-would I need to upgrade my psu also? 460w

Thinks that's all thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What is your specs? 

Does your PSU have a 6pin power connector? 

Everything is dell other then the cpu, i5 4430

Yes it does, unless there's multiple connectors that have 6pins 

7 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

What PSU specifically? Also, does it have an i5-4460?

Everything is dell or some random brand. The only things I know aren't dell are the gpu, cpu i5 4430, and ram, can't remember what the ram is but it's bad. 

I can try taking some pictures with my potato if it would help in anyway.

4 minutes ago, Firefly_ said:

Everything is dell or some random brand. The only things I know aren't dell are the gpu, cpu i5 4430, and ram, can't remember what the ram is but it's bad. 

I can try taking some pictures with my potato if it would help in anyway.

9 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What is your specs? 

Does your PSU have a 6pin power connector? 

10 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

What PSU specifically? Also, does it have an i5-4460?

The dell uses a 460W PSU. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

The dell uses a 460W PSU. 

Yep you're right, I remembered it being a 420w but I was wrong, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Firefly_ said:

Dells use delta PSUs it should be sufficient. I think your i5 will be just fine for a RX 480. 

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Dells use delta PSUs it should be sufficient. I think your i5 will be just fine for a RX 480. 

Ok thank you.

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Is there a huge difference between the 4 and 8 gb. when it comes to gaming, recording, or anything. Other then when games need insane amounts of ram. 

3 minutes ago, Firefly_ said:

Is there a huge difference between the 4 and 8 gb. when it comes to gaming, recording, or anything. Other then when games need insane amounts of ram. 

No. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

7 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

my brother's friend's dell xps 8500 had a huntkey oem dell unit. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

8 minutes ago, Firefly_ said:

Yep you're right, I remembered it being a 420w but I was wrong, thanks.

which model specifically is your dell unit?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

which model specifically is your dell unit?

8700? or do you want actual model number? Just going off the sticker on the back 6N10GX1 maybe? I like to think I know things but in all reality I'm a noob.

I would suggest you to wait for after market 480s. It seems like the power over draw from PCI-E slot is a real problem. And chances are, the dell pc will use some cheap mobo that cant deliver power exceed its limit: 75W, and with a reference 480 you will experience a lot of sudden shut down and system instability.

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

I would suggest you to wait for after market 480s. It seems like the power over draw from PCI-E slot is a real problem. And chances are, the dell pc will use some cheap mobo that cant deliver power exceed its limit: 75W, and with a reference 480 you will experience a lot of sudden shut down and system instability.

And make sure the after market one have a custom pcb that requires a single 8 ping or even duo 6 pin power connector

2 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

Ok, thanks for the suggestion, I'd probably have to wait anyway with the lack of supply and irl stuffs. 

2 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

And make sure the after market one have a custom pcb that requires a single 8 ping or even duo 6 pin power connector

Don't think I have 8pin so duo would be the way i do.

4 minutes ago, Firefly_ said:

8700? or do you want actual model number? Just going off the sticker on the back 6N10GX1 maybe? I like to think I know things but in all reality I'm a noob.

can't find anything about that code, but there should be a UL code in the sticker. its under a backwards R attached to a U. see what code your psu has and use this link to see who manufactured the psu.

1 minute ago, Firefly_ said:

yup, its huntkey. not a good OEM imo, see if you can get a better psu.

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

yup, its huntkey. not a good OEM imo, see if you can get a better psu.

Just more money I don't have, I'll try but if i were to get the gpu and keep this psu for a bit would I still be "ok".

8 minutes ago, Firefly_ said:

Just more money I don't have, I'll try but if i were to get the gpu and keep this psu for a bit would I still be "ok".

it should be fine, but no promises.

11 minutes ago, Firefly_ said:

If you looking for an 'ok' budget PSU, try one of these. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-evga-100-w1-0500-kr-80plus-single-rail-atx-psu

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

If you looking for an 'ok' budget PSU, try one of these. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-evga-100-w1-0500-kr-80plus-single-rail-atx-psu

Thanks, only problem with that for me is if I upgrade anything I want it to be part of my full future build, the only reason I'm considering the 480 is because it's cheap and preforms about as wells as the gpu I was planning on getting. I can also(I believe) just get a second 480 in the future. But if it comes down to it I'll probably just get something like that.