Problem with SC GTX 1070..

SenorKiwi

hello,

I turned my computer on with everything plugged in, although after about 6 seconds the computer turns itself off, then restarts and tries to load again... I'm not sure why this is although It is likely because I only have a 450W power supply..?

I was told it would be enough, but I can always steal my brother's I guess If this is the issue.

5 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

hello,

I turned my computer on with everything plugged in, although after about 6 seconds the computer turns itself off, then restarts and tries to load again... I'm not sure why this is although It is likely because I only have a 450W power supply..?

I was told it would be enough, but I can always steal my brother's I guess If this is the issue.

It would be because of the power supply. It not enough, and that's exactly what happens when the PSU isn't able to supply enough power.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Make sure everything is plugged in properly

ok.. so you don't think it should be a PSU issue?

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

It would be because of the power supply. It not enough, and that's exactly what happens when the PSU isn't able to supply enough power.

450W should be at the limit, but just enough. @TheKiwiColonel, what PSU specifically? It's possible it cannot deliver what it says on the label. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

The recommended amount is 500 wats.

So I guess 450 would be like the absolute minimum and who knows maybe you're PSU is a shitty one and instead of those 450 it can only supply 400.

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

450W should be at the limit, but just enough. @TheKiwiColonel, what PSU specifically? It's possible it cannot deliver what it says on the label. 

If its a cheap PSU it won't be. Ever seen a 450W PSU with more than a 6 pin connector BTW? Because that's the only PCIe connector I've ever seen on one.

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Totalimus said:

The recommended amount is 500 wats.

So I guess 450 would be like the absolute minimum and who knows maybe you're PSU is a shitty one and instead of those 450 it can only supply 400.

450W peak is more than likely what it does-some can do the rated wattage only in bursts, then drop down 50W or so (Thermaltake included-with-case PSU are an example)

PMSL

10 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

hello,

450W is definitely less than ideal. I expect it's not a high end SS Platinum unit which has all of it's power on a +12V rail but a cheapo chinese one with 200-300W on the +12V rail. Stop trying to use that PSU before you burn the system.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

450W is definitely less than ideal. I expect it's not a high end SS Platinum unit which has all of it's power on a +12V rail but a cheapo chinese one with 200-300W on the +12V rail. Stop trying to use that PSU before you burn the system.

I've already done that....though luckily it was only a motherboard that I wanted dead anyway, and the PSU followed suit (400W PSU that was from around 2004-2005 with only 1x SATA connector)..

PMSL

alright, so I'll switch the PSUs. I guess it must be the problem considering on the box it says 500W, hopefully from it trying to load and rebooting like 5 times I haven't done any permanent damage...

4 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

alright, so I'll switch the PSUs. I guess it must be the problem considering on the box it says 500W, hopefully from it trying to load and rebooting like 5 times I haven't done any permanent damage...

There's a nice PSU whitelist by @Aniallation or the one by @STRMfrmXMN (aka the PSU guys).  

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

There's a nice PSU whitelist by @Aniallation or the one by @STRMfrmXMN (aka the PSU guys).  

my brother has a 550W, so I assume if I just switched that'd be enough power for sure.

(The benchmarks for minimum is 500W with i7 @ 3.2Ghz. I have an i7 at 4.2ghz, so it should be fine with 550W. (also will I have done permanent damage from what I did with trying to turn it on...? I can't imagine i would have as the manufacturer (EVGA) will have some kind of safety mechanism for problems like this..?

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

my brother has a 550W, so I assume if I just switched that'd be enough power for sure.

It'd be enough power but the real question is, can it actually deliver 550W? What PSU is it specifically?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

It'd be enough power but the real question is, can it actually deliver 550W? What PSU is it specifically?

Corsair VS

Corsair VS

Safety mechanisms are handled by the PSU, not the GPU. GPU can easily be friend by a crappy PSU

VS are utter trash - they have almost no proper protections and are only rated for maximum output at 30*C - the internals are shoddy and the build quality is terrible.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Safety mechanisms are handled by the PSU, not the GPU. GPU can easily be friend by a crappy PSU

VS are utter trash - they have almost no proper protections and are only rated for maximum output at 30*C - the internals are shoddy and the build quality is terrible.

ok... so what do you recommend I do? Not install my new GPU until I get a new PSU as I might destroy it??

ok... so what do you recommend I do? Not install my new GPU until I get a new PSU as I might destroy it??

Yes. Get a decent PSU. Something like a SeaSonic M12II EVO 520W

3 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Yes. Get a decent PSU. Something like a SeaSonic M12II EVO 520W

This? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seasonic-m12ii-520-evo-520w-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-ca-051-ss.html

Also are you sure that's enough wattage? if minimum is 500W, and I have a better CPU which is more demanding it may not be high enough wattage? Wouldn't finding a 550W-650W be better?

2 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

This? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seasonic-m12ii-520-evo-520w-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-ca-051-ss.html

Also are you sure that's enough wattage? if minimum is 500W, and I have a better CPU which is more demanding it may not be high enough wattage? Wouldn't finding a 550W-650W be better?

Minimum is 500W for a crap PSU like your current one. If we are talking a high-quality unit then even 350W would work.

Minimum is 500W for a crap PSU like your current one. If we are talking a high-quality unit then even 350W would work.

ok, so that one I linked is what I should buy?

ok, so that one I linked is what I should buy?

yes

yes

alright, thanks a lot. Do you think I did damage by letting the computer reboot and shut off again..? I really hope nott

alright, thanks a lot. Do you think I did damage by letting the computer reboot and shut off again..? I really hope nott

I cannot tell

I cannot tell

although it is possible?