Plex Won't Connect Outside of Network

Number

I'm trying to get plex to port forward outside of my network. I port forwarded its default port (32400) on the right computer. Plex complains it cannot connect to it outside of my network but a port checker such as canyouseeme.org say's it can see port 32400 on my network. I tried connecting to it with my phone's LTE service and I just get a 401 unauthorized message when I try connecting. Does anyone know what to do?

Numbre

i'd honestly just get a VPN set up :/

in the end its easier and more secure than just opening ports.

Just now, manikyath said:

i'd honestly just get a VPN set up :/

in the end its easier and more secure than just opening ports.

I might do that in the future but I got it to work. Are there any free vpns that you can assign to certain ports?

Numbre

3 minutes ago, Number said:

I might do that in the future but I got it to work. Are there any free vpns that you can assign to certain ports?

well, what i did for a really long time was a virtual machine with PPTPD running on it, setting virtualbox's network interface to bridge (so the VM gets its own IP address from the router) and then forwarding the port for PPTP.

DONT do this with a shitty password, since that vpn is basicly a tunnel straight into local access to your network.

afterthought:

if you want to get into the meat and potatoes, you could do SSH tunneling, and put SSH on some obscure port to avoid attacks.