Wd blue isnt detected?

Chewique

So my Wd blue hard drive isnt detected when its plugged in? When i installed windows it was there but it only shows that i have an ssd in MY computer

MY RIG

I5 6600k

16gb Corsair vengeance 2666mhz

MSI Gaming X 1070

WD blue 2tb

samsung 850 evo 250gb

EVGA supernova G2 650w

Check with disk management if you can find it:

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=1284

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Chewique said:

So my Wd blue hard drive isnt detected when its plugged in? When i installed windows it was there but it only shows that i have an ssd in MY computer

Try going into the BIOS and see if its detected by the motherboard.

If not, see if all the cables are plugged in.
Try another SATA port.

If it is detected, go to windows -> run (Windows Flag + R) -> diskmgmt.msc
See if it shows up in there.

If it does, it might not been formatted, right click on the unformatted space -> Right click -> New single volume.
Just click next, asign a letter to the drive (D for instance) and click next.
Just click next afterwards, and then finish.

6 minutes ago, Chewique said:

No its not there.

Best thing is to check your BIOS real quick to see if you it lists it in there, if not than you should open up your case and just see if it's properly plugged in (maybe push a bit on the cable to be sure) and if it STILL does not show up in the BIOS and disk management, it might be dead. But I am fairly confident it should show up at least after you open the case and made sure it's still plugged in correctly

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Best thing is to check your BIOS real quick to see if you it lists it in there, if not than you should open up your case and just see if it's properly plugged in (maybe push a bit on the cable to be sure) and if it STILL does not show up in the BIOS and disk management, it might be dead. But I am fairly confident it should show up at least after you open the case and made sure it's still plugged in correctly

There are 2 cable to it right? Also my screen doesnt connect untill its on the log in bit so i wont be able to check bio untill tomtorrow

MY RIG

I5 6600k

MSI Gaming X 1070

WD blue 2tb

samsung 850 evo 250gb

EVGA supernova G2 650w

what is the capacity of the HDD? does your mobo have a BIOS or a UEFI? legacy BIOS can only detect up to 2TB max for HDD size and it has to be a MBR partition (Master Boot Record) 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, Chewique said:

There are 2 cable to it right? Also my screen doesnt connect untill its on the log in bit so i wont be able to check bio untill tomtorrow

Yes. There is a cable coming directly from the motherboard and one coming from the power supply. 

And maybe your monitor is just not that fast with turning on/detecting display (I know one of mine is a LOT slower than my other one for example), so maybe you still can get to your BIOS (or UEFI) by spamming DEL (or whatever key it uses), but you just wont be able to see what key needs to be pressed on screen.

hot plug at the desktop. windows may or may not find it. do a reboot. windows may or may not find it. if it does. format.

11 hours ago, Chewique said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

As the guys suggested, you should check if the drive is visible in the BIOS, Device Manager and Disk Management.

If not I'd suggest trying different SATA and Power cables as well as different SATA ports on the motherboard. I'd also try the drive on another computer. 

Can you feel the drive spinning when the computer is running? 

Posting your system specs and some screenshots may be useful!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

12 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hi there :)

As the guys suggested, you should check if the drive is visible in the BIOS, Device Manager and Disk Management.

If not I'd suggest trying different SATA and Power cables as well as different SATA ports on the motherboard. I'd also try the drive on another computer. 

Can you feel the drive spinning when the computer is running? 

Posting your system specs and some screenshots may be useful!

Captain_WD.

Okay, i cant feel it spinning and i am very worried! I dont have another pc and i still havent been able to try ther cables or bios. 

If it does not work how do i get a refund or replacement? (Assuming your really from WD)

Specs: CPU: i5 6600k

MObo: msi z170a sli plus

GPU: gtx 1070

RAm: 16gb vengeance lpx

MY RIG

I5 6600k

MSI Gaming X 1070

WD blue 2tb

samsung 850 evo 250gb

EVGA supernova G2 650w

12 hours ago, Chewique said:

~snip~

Don't worry, we'll figure out what's going on. :)

If the drive isn't rally spinning it either doesn't get power from the PSU (which you can test by swapping the power cables between the SSD and the HDD and see if there are any changes) or the drive itself is defective (in which case you should contact the place where you got the drive from and exchange it if the drive has warranty on it). 

When you swap the power cables (that come from the PSU) between the SSD and the WD Blue the system should either start normally (in which case it means that both cables work) and you can again check if the drive is visible in the BIOS, Device Manager or Disk Management or your computer will bring up a message that it cannot find a bootable drive which means that the cable itself has a problem as the computer can't really see the SSD but the HDD should start spinning as it should be getting power through the power cable that was previously used on the SSD. 

Do test that and post back the results! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

3 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Don't worry, we'll figure out what's going on. :)

If the drive isn't rally spinning it either doesn't get power from the PSU (which you can test by swapping the power cables between the SSD and the HDD and see if there are any changes) or the drive itself is defective (in which case you should contact the place where you got the drive from and exchange it if the drive has warranty on it). 

When you swap the power cables (that come from the PSU) between the SSD and the WD Blue the system should either start normally (in which case it means that both cables work) and you can again check if the drive is visible in the BIOS, Device Manager or Disk Management or your computer will bring up a message that it cannot find a bootable drive which means that the cable itself has a problem as the computer can't really see the SSD but the HDD should start spinning as it should be getting power through the power cable that was previously used on the SSD. 

Do test that and post back the results! 

Captain_WD.

This is a good technique, but what if that SATA connector is broken?
Doesn't that break the SSD aswell then? :Þ

• 4 weeks later...
On 5.07.2016 г. at 2:53 PM, tv15dsi said:

~snip~

Hey :) The notification about this post has slipped unnoticed somehow. Sincere apologies for that. 

Which SATA connector are you referring to? A SATA cable or a port are not likely to cause any damage, let alone fatally brick a storage device as there is not power running over that cable, just data. 

If you are referring to the power connector that goes from the PSU to the storage devices, since the drive isn't spinning there is no power running on the cable and it can't do any damage to the SSD. If there's power the drive will be spinning. A faulty power cable would cause more damage and it would be visible either on the PCB as burned areas or other visible signs. :)

Again, apologies for the belated answer.

Captain_WD.

On 29/07/2016 at 0:08 PM, Captain_WD said:

Hey :) The notification about this post has slipped unnoticed somehow. Sincere apologies for that. 

Which SATA connector are you referring to? A SATA cable or a port are not likely to cause any damage, let alone fatally brick a storage device as there is not power running over that cable, just data. 

If you are referring to the power connector that goes from the PSU to the storage devices, since the drive isn't spinning there is no power running on the cable and it can't do any damage to the SSD. If there's power the drive will be spinning. A faulty power cable would cause more damage and it would be visible either on the PCB as burned areas or other visible signs. :)

Again, apologies for the belated answer.

Captain_WD.

I have fixed it now! It was my case side panel pushing the cable out when i closed it! Silly me! Thanks for the help though.

MY RIG

I5 6600k

MSI Gaming X 1070

WD blue 2tb

samsung 850 evo 250gb

EVGA supernova G2 650w

1 hour ago, Chewique said:

~snip~

Hey, glad to hear that! Cable management can be a pain sometimes. It's always a good idea to double-check it whenever you are opening your case. Happy to see you've managed it and it turned out to be a simple thing like this! 

Let me know if I can help with anything else! 

Captain_WD.