Can't put fan speed low enough.

samcool55

Samcool55 here,

I just installed my old 9800GT again, having sold my 6950 and waiting now for the rx 480.

Problem is, i forgot how loud the damn thing was! And it annoys me a lot.

I want to use a custom fan curve, but the problem is, i can't get it below 35% fan speed, which is still noisy as hell.

Does anybody know how to get my fan speed lower than that? I'm trying to use msi afterburner to lower the fan speed btw, haven't checked other tools.

The card itself is an ASUS 9800GT with custom cooler and there is plenty of airflow in the case to drop fan speeds without temperature issues, the card is now at 44°C and gets 60°C-ish under load with the fan stuck at 35%.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

May be impossible, fans will often not spin below a certain voltage. 

First thing I'd do is pull the card and check to see the heatsink and fan are clear of dust.

If that's all good, your probably best to soldier on until your nice new card arrives.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Mmm still noisy at 35% .  Definately running at 35% not 100% even though you have 'set' it at 35% ?

You sure it is not one of the later 9800s they had there fans locked at 100%

I might be talking mince, but at least it will give you an avenue to think about or discard out of hand.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

18 minutes ago, soup said:

Mmm still noisy at 35% .  Definately running at 35% not 100% even though you have 'set' it at 35% ?

You sure it is not one of the later 9800s they had there fans locked at 100%

I might be talking mince, but at least it will give you an avenue to think about or discard out of hand.

I'm sure it's not at 100%, i tried turning them up to 100% and it goes from noisy to very noisy, but suprisingly not as bad as i expected. Still awful tho :D

19 minutes ago, unidentical said:

May be impossible, fans will often not spin below a certain voltage. 

First thing I'd do is pull the card and check to see the heatsink and fan are clear of dust.

If that's all good, your probably best to soldier on until your nice new card arrives.

No issue with dust, i cleaned it before i installed it because it was quite dusty but it's clean-ish now.

Might be able to remove a bit more dust if i go at it with a brush and some more compressed air but i'm quite sure that won't help.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon