Asus M5A97 R2.0 EVO AMD - 970 Chipset Overheating

So  I would like help, i recently acquired the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 EVO and the AMD 970 Chipset is HOT to the point i cannot touch it.

I have done research and found out it doesnt really get along with Octa-cores (In my case the AMD FX-8120 Overclocked at 3.89GHz using the motherboards X-Boost option.

Now i dont have the best case at the moment, it is a none brand case i got given by work (midi-tower) and next week will be acquiring the Corsair Carbide SPEC-02. I have 5 fans, an intake 80mm on the HDD's a 90mm on my Cooler Master TX3 EVO and two out takes on the rear on the chassis, and i have ghetto'd a 120mm and sellotaped it onto the chassis and i also have sellotaped a 80mm onto my Heatsink and GPU to get air blowing at the chipset.

What should i do? (buying another MoBo and/or CPU is not an option)

Many thanks.

Capture.JPG

Update BIOS to latest one to see if it helps.

You never know.

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

First, reset the default profile. I tried the auto OC feature on an ASUS board once for fun...it overvolted +150mv for the frequency it set and was completely unusable.

I would undervolt your CPU at stock speeds, or at least reset factory defaults. If you are not using the stock cooler, use it to blow down on the chipset.

24 minutes ago, KeltonDSMer said:

First, reset the default profile. I tried the auto OC feature on an ASUS board once for fun...it overvolted +150mv for the frequency it set and was completely unusable.

I would undervolt your CPU at stock speeds, or at least reset factory defaults. If you are not using the stock cooler, use it to blow down on the chipset.

I cannot do that with the stock cooler, there is only 2 inches between the cpu heatsink and the gpu

2 minutes ago, Versydon said:

I cannot do that with the stock cooler, there is only 2 inches between the cpu heatsink and the gpu

Point a fan at the chipset, or leave the side off if you are really worried about it.

The chipset is supposed to get hot, which is why they put a heatsink on it.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, Versydon said:

Ok, I understand. I would still recommend resetting to default BIOS settings and undervolt at stock frequencies. FWIW, the default settings on my m599fx pro R2.0 ran over 100mv more than my 8320 needed, there was a lot of room on the table to get temps down while maintaining stability.

You could also point the fan at the back of the socket behind the mobo tray if there is a cutout. Not as effective but it does help:

Spoiler

IMG_0129_zps6e44708c.jpg

If you aren't very comfortable with the concepts of overclocking/undervolting, I would recommend reading through this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

You should be able to get this running just fine

39 minutes ago, KeltonDSMer said:

Ok, I understand. I would still recommend resetting to default BIOS settings and undervolt at stock frequencies. FWIW, the default settings on my m599fx pro R2.0 ran over 100mv more than my 8320 needed, there was a lot of room on the table to get temps down while maintaining stability.

You could also point the fan at the back of the socket behind the mobo tray if there is a cutout. Not as effective but it does help:

Hide contents

IMG_0129_zps6e44708c.jpg

If you aren't very comfortable with the concepts of overclocking/undervolting, I would recommend reading through this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

You should be able to get this running just fine

Its ok i know how to overclock its just i dont particularly fancy it, when i get my new case i will see what i can do for ventilation

2 minutes ago, Versydon said:

Its ok i know how to overclock its just i dont particularly fancy it, when i get my new case i will see what i can do for ventilation

Sounds good. Ventilation might help, but I'm pretty convinced you are running way more power through that thing than what is ideal. Reducing core voltage even 50mv will net quite a significant reduction in temps.