HDD wipe and configuration help

About a year ago i built my computer, i used a processor, hard drive and motherboard all from a hp pavilion desktop. Since then all the parts have been swapped except the hard drive, I was wondering if there is an easy way to wipe my hard drive back to 1,000 gb, and then get a fresh install of either windows 8.1 preview or Win 7 which i have a product key for.

Thanks and please ask any questions if you need to.

You can go to 'advanced' when you're installing windows 7 or 8 and wipe the hdd from there.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

After you backup your files (if you chose to do so), insert the disk for the operating system you chose and reboot. When you reboot, you should be able to boot from the disk which will then bring up the windows installation/recovery screen. Select your language and keyboard settings and proceed to the next screen. Select the "Custom (advanced) option, select the drive you wish to install windows on and click on drive options. You should then have the option to format your drive. Once it is  formatted, create a new partition to take up the entire drive. You should then be able to return to the previous screen and continue with your windows installation.

After you backup your files (if you chose to do so), insert the disk for the operating system you chose and reboot. When you reboot, you should be able to boot from the disk which will then bring up the windows installation/recovery screen. Select your language and keyboard settings and proceed to the next screen. Select the "Custom (advanced) option, select the drive you wish to install windows on and click on drive options. You should then have the option to format your drive. Once it is  formatted, create a new partition to take up the entire drive. You should then be able to return to the previous screen and continue with your windows installation.

Sounds like a deal, and just a side question will I be able to keep 8.1 preview forever? i have no idea

Sounds like a deal, and just a side question will I be able to keep 8.1 preview forever? i have no idea

All Windows preview editions have expiration dates, Windows 8.1 preview is set to expire on Jan 15th 2014

All Windows preview editions have expiration dates, Windows 8.1 preview is set to expire on Jan 15th 2014

thanks

Do keep in mind that when your preview expires, you'll have to re-install from scratch. So, if you do have a legitimate copy of windows 8, you might just want to install it instead of 8.1 preview and then receive the update from 8 to 8.1 when it comes out (on the 17th of October)