I could use some explanation of the MSI Afterburner OSD items please.

Go to solution Solved by HPWebcamAble,
  1. Yes, the memory refers to VRAM
  2. The individual CPU1, CPU2 etc graphs are for a single core. The "CPU" (no number ones) are an average
  3. Windows uses some RAM too you know
  4. What would VRAM usage match GPU usage? They're different components that serve different purposes
  5. I don't think so
  6. Nothing to worry about.

OSD means On Screen Display (one of the other tabs) by the way

The pictures show what items I have enabled on the OSD for MSI Afterburner for reference.  I have a few questions about what some things mean.

1.) Does Mem/memory usage refers to the amount of VRAM currently being used?

2.) What's the difference between the temp and usage display for each individual CPU thread and the ones that just say CPU usage and CPU temperature?

3.) Is the RAM usage known to be 100% accurate?  I checked the system requirements for the game I'm running (Spec Ops: The Line) and even the recommended RAM amount is 3GBZ but the OSD says I'm using slightly more than 3GB so I wanted to check the RAM usage display's accuracy.

4.) I limited the fps to 144 using the Rivatuner thing for Afterburner to hopefully prevent coil whine from crazy high fps running the game. (about 300-350 I think? And about 3400 I think during cutscenes)  This seems to have restricted the GPU load/usage to about 43-53% yet only about 783MB of VRAM is being used.  Shouldn't the amount of VRAM match the percentage of GPU usage/load?

Example: in this case I just stated I would've assumed that about a 50% would make use of closer to 4GB of VRAM.  It seems Spec Ops is using less than 1GB of VRAM so why is the GPU usage even at 50% with the fps locked to 144? 

5.) I have my monitor set to 120Hz even though it's rated for 144 because I have adaptive half refresh rate set for Skyrim so I don't get that tornado messed up physics problem from exceeding about 60fps.  If the fps in games is capped at 144 by Rivatuner but my monitor is set to 120Hz will the difference cause any problems for games that my 1070 can run at 144Hz?

6.) What is frametime and is that something I should pay attention to?  If so what are considered the preferred range of values for frametime?

Sorry to ask so much at once but I figured it's better than making multiple topics about all this and asking questions is one of the best ways to learn.  ?

To the mods: I wasn't entirely certain where to post this topic but if you feel it belongs in a different area then I'd appreciate it being moved there so that I have the best chance of getting all my questions answered.

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

on screen display

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

The pictures show what items I have enabled on the OSD for MSI Afterburner for reference.  I have a few questions about what some things mean.

1.) Does Mem/memory usage refers to the amount of VRAM currently being used?

2.) What's the difference between the temp and usage display for each individual CPU thread and the ones that just say CPU usage and CPU temperature?

3.) Is the RAM usage known to be 100% accurate?  I checked the system requirements for the game I'm running (Spec Ops: The Line) and even the recommended RAM amount is 3GBZ but the OSD says I'm using slightly more than 3GB so I wanted to check the RAM usage display's accuracy.

4.) I limited the fps to 144 using the Rivatuner thing for Afterburner to hopefully prevent coil whine from crazy high fps running the game. (about 300-350 I think? And about 3400 I think during cutscenes)  This seems to have restricted the GPU load/usage to about 43-53% yet only about 783MB of VRAM is being used.  Shouldn't the amount of VRAM match the percentage of GPU usage/load?

Example: in this case I just stated I would've assumed that about a 50% would make use of closer to 4GB of VRAM.  It seems Spec Ops is using less than 1GB of VRAM so why is the GPU usage even at 50% with the fps locked to 144? 

5.) I have my monitor set to 120Hz even though it's rated for 144 because I have adaptive half refresh rate set for Skyrim so I don't get that tornado messed up physics problem from exceeding about 60fps.  If the fps in games is capped at 144 by Rivatuner but my monitor is set to 120Hz will the difference cause any problems for games that my 1070 can run at 144Hz?

6.) What is frametime and is that something I should pay attention to?  If so what are considered the preferred range of values for frametime?

Sorry to ask so much at once but I figured it's better than making multiple topics about all this and asking questions is one of the best ways to learn.  ?

To the mods: I wasn't entirely certain where to post this topic but if you feel it belongs in a different area then I'd appreciate it being moved there so that I have the best chance of getting all my questions answered.

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

on screen display

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

take screenshots please...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

1 minute ago, thatguyjerry said:

take screenshots please...

I did.  That's what the pictures are.  It shows what OSD items I have enabled and the OSD while running Spec Ops.

2. The individual CPU1, CPU2 etc graphs are for a single core. The "CPU" (no number ones) are an average
  4. What would VRAM usage match GPU usage? They're different components that serve different purposes
  5. I don't think so

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I did.  That's what the pictures are.  It shows what OSD items I have enabled and the OSD while running Spec Ops.

those look like pictures taken with a phone of your screen. we are asking you to take screenshots from your system

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

1 minute ago, thatguyjerry said:

those look like pictures taken with a phone of your screen. we are asking you to take screenshots from your system

iPad actually.  What's wrong with them?  I'm confused...

You can also just as easily google/youtube those terms.
"MSI OSD Guide"

And watch various video's, they will take you through it all and what things mean (in more details I hope)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

5 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

You can also just as easily google/youtube those terms.
"MSI OSD Guide"

And watch various video's, they will take you through it all and what things mean (in more details I hope)

More often than not Google fails me...  Plus then I'd miss out on help from all the nice and awesome people here and cool things like your profile picture.  ?

12 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:
  5. I don't think so

Is the average for CPU usage and temp preferable to the individual ones?

That makes sense about the RAM use.  I'd assumed it was the amount for only the game for some reason.

Idk why I thought VRAM use was tied to load amount.  It just seemed reasonable for the two to be related more closely.

Thank you for your informative response.  It's greatly appreciated.

45 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is the average for CPU usage and temp preferable to the individual ones?

Yeah, it's rare that any one core is more than a few degrees above or below the average.

Much quicker to just look at the average than having to look at each one individually.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

33 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Yeah, it's rare that any one core is more than a few degrees above or below the average.

Much quicker to just look at the average than having to look at each one individually.

Ok.  I'll turn off the display for the individual threads then.