Help with high CPU temps

jinscho

I put this build together about a week ago and wanted to give the TIM some time to cure before jumping to conclusions about my poor CPU temps.  Well, temps have come down a few degrees but they're still MUCH higher than I think they should be at idle.

First off here's the build-

NZXT H230 Case

Asus P7P55D-E Mobo

Intel Xeon X3450 CPU

16GB GSkill Sniper 2133MHz DDR3

EVGA GTX650ti Boost

Corsair Hydro Series H50

Corsair CX430 PSU

Initial CPU temps were 45-47 degrees C at idle with ambient temps averaging around 26 C

Current CPU temps are 38-40 C at idle with same ambient temps

I know there's enough TIM in place and that the cooler was seated properly as I took every necessary precaution to make sure every thumbscrew went down a half turn at a time in the recommended cross pattern per Corsair.  I also know that these temps are way out of line as my Q6600 on air (Zalman CNPS5X... a $15 cooler) idled around 32 C in the same case.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps my airflow in the case is subpar. I currently have every 120mm fan slot populated in the case with the lower, front two, and back (because Corsair recommends drawing cool air in from outside for best temps.. I don't know if this is the culprit) fans drawing air in, and the GPU and PSU drawing hot air out of the case with the blower style GPU cooler and fan facing up on the PSU.

1IJkrOt.jpg

Do you think poor airflow in the case is causing this?  Unfortunately there are no other radiator mounting points in this budget case, but should I try swapping the airflow on that rear fan to exhaust?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Thermal paste problem would be my first guess... Too much thermal paste? Not evenly spread? Bad quality thermal paste? Its probably not the main problem but I would have that psu fan facing down. Also, as a side note, I would swap that psu out for something new, its one of the worst on the market...

"AMD is bringing DDR5 to the mainstream with their all new FX 8450 and FX 9690 Zen processors. Check out the link in the video description to learn more."

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z87-I Mini-ITX
  • RAM
    16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
  • GPU
  • CHANGING 
  • Case
  • BitFenix Comrade Window Black/
  • Corsair 250D
  • Storage
    Hectron X1 60gb SSD "The China", Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Corsair TX650
  • Cooling
    Hyper TX3
  • Keyboard
    AULA F2012 Mechanical

Lol just realised something... Do you have a fan on your cooler????? Thats what is causing the issues!

EDIT: Lol realised fan is on other side oops.

"AMD is bringing DDR5 to the mainstream with their all new FX 8450 and FX 9690 Zen processors. Check out the link in the video description to learn more."

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z87-I Mini-ITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • CHANGING 
  • Case
  • Corsair 250D
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair TX650
  • Cooling
    Hyper TX3
  • Keyboard
    AULA F2012 Mechanical

1 minute ago, BringBackLCT said:

Lol just realised something... Do you have a fan on your cooler????? Thats what is causing the issues!

Fan is there.. it's behind the radiator drawing air in as Corsair recommends in their install guide.

have you checked to see if your pump is functioning correctly? It may be something wrong with the aio. I know it would be a hassle but maybe try to put it on a new cpu/mobo and see if the temps are similar across the board. If they are, then it has to be something wrong with the aio. Also, do you know if your radiator fan is running up to speed?

3 minutes ago, jinscho said:

Fan is there.. it's behind the radiator drawing air in as Corsair recommends in their install guide.

Yeah I realised that just after i posted. The problem could be the cooler as well... Pump issues probably?

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z87-I Mini-ITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • CHANGING 
  • Case
  • Corsair 250D
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair TX650
  • Cooling
    Hyper TX3
  • Keyboard
    AULA F2012 Mechanical

3 minutes ago, jtwalker said:

have you checked to see if your pump is functioning correctly? It may be something wrong with the aio. I know it would be a hassle but maybe try to put it on a new cpu/mobo and see if the temps are similar across the board. If they are, then it has to be something wrong with the aio. Also, do you know if your radiator fan is running up to speed?

If you still have the Q6600 try the cooler on that please.

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z87-I Mini-ITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • CHANGING 
  • Case
  • Corsair 250D
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair TX650
  • Cooling
    Hyper TX3
  • Keyboard
    AULA F2012 Mechanical

2 minutes ago, jtwalker said:

Brand new AIO, you can hear the pump running and the fan is currently running at 100%... nice and loud.. 

1 minute ago, BringBackLCT said:

If you still have the Q6600 try the cooler on that please.

no can do, LGA775 and the H50 does not support it..

3 minutes ago, jinscho said:

no can do, LGA775 and the H50 does not support it..

Dont have to mount it properly... Zipties, holding it etc.

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z87-I Mini-ITX
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • CHANGING 
  • Case
  • Corsair 250D
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair TX650
  • Cooling
    Hyper TX3
  • Keyboard
    AULA F2012 Mechanical

it may just be high temps for that one xeon. I mean I've never heard of idle temps that high, but you never know. Do you have an overclock on that?

I would redo thermal paste. Hear is the method I use (and gives good results):

1-Remove cooler

2- Put TIM cleaner on a tissue 

3- Wipe the tissue over the CPU

4-Wait a few minuets

5- Wipe with a dry tissue

6- Wipe with your t-shirt to remove any tissue

7-Put a line of thermal paste all the way along the CPU/chip 90 deg to the longest edge

8- Using a spreader or your finger make sure all the paste covers the whole CPU/Chip

9- Place cooler on the top and wait a few minuets before attaching it (To let any air escape)

10- Tighten the cooler/ block down slowly to make sure all the air has gone.

If your temps are high I would consider adding more fans and making sure that none of them are really blocked.

"Initial CPU temps were 45-47 degrees C at idle with ambient temps averaging around 26 C

Current CPU temps are 38-40 C at idle with same ambient temps"

Current temps are fine but the initial one's are a bit high.

If you are using a fan header on the mobo then consider making a custom fan curve for them to use, if there just molex then they will be running at full speed any way.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

21 hours ago, jtwalker said:

it may just be high temps for that one xeon. I mean I've never heard of idle temps that high, but you never know. Do you have an overclock on that?

No OC currently because of the absurdly high temps.. I want to make sure my stock speed temps are reasonable before I start playing around with OC'ing the chip..

15 hours ago, fixitnow said:

I would redo thermal paste. Hear is the method I use (and gives good results):

1-Remove cooler

2- Put TIM cleaner on a tissue 

3- Wipe the tissue over the CPU

4-Wait a few minuets

5- Wipe with a dry tissue

6- Wipe with your t-shirt to remove any tissue

7-Put a line of thermal paste all the way along the CPU/chip 90 deg to the longest edge

8- Using a spreader or your finger make sure all the paste covers the whole CPU/Chip

9- Place cooler on the top and wait a few minuets before attaching it (To let any air escape)

10- Tighten the cooler/ block down slowly to make sure all the air has gone.

If your temps are high I would consider adding more fans and making sure that none of them are really blocked.

"Initial CPU temps were 45-47 degrees C at idle with ambient temps averaging around 26 C

Current CPU temps are 38-40 C at idle with same ambient temps"

Current temps are fine but the initial one's are a bit high.

If you are using a fan header on the mobo then consider making a custom fan curve for them to use, if there just molex then they will be running at full speed any way.

Gonna try pulling the water block, reapplying TIM, and re-seating everything.. I'll follow up and let you know if there's any changes..

20 minutes ago, jinscho said:

Gonna try pulling the water block, reapplying TIM, and re-seating everything.. I'll follow up and let you know if there's any changes..

Could it be sensors that are broken and report invalid results?

Went ahead and pulled the block and re-seated everything.  current temps at idle are 40-42 C.  Going to give it about a week to cure since AS5 takes forever to do so but based on prior initial temps we're already in a better spot, not quite what I was hoping for with this AIO cooler.. but it's at least a step in the right direction...

If it helps I have a hard drive that says it at 150C , all the time lol. Things you could also do is make sure that there is nothing on top of your pc, and nothing too far behind it, to increase air flow; you may also want to upgrade your fans to help air flow. Make sure that the pump is working. But yeah I have to say that is disappointing result of a AIO.  

Have you tried turning it off and on again?