Xbox 360 controller or DS4

Doughnutnator

Hi! Need some help. Found the Xbox 360 wireless controler + the original PC wireless adapter for $50 bucks. I already have 2 Xbox 360 controlls. But i'm looking for something for my PC, since sometimes I connect a TV to play on the couch.

I'm seeing that it's a kind of "deal". Since a new controller goes for about 36 bucks on amazon, the adaptor for 12 (generic one) but it would be almost the same thanks to shipping.

Other route is buying a DS4 and an Asus BT400 dongle. I would only have 1 wireless controller but I would get all the nice feeling and a touchpad (included battery too). That would cost me $65

So. Xbox 360 + Wireless Adapter= $50

DS4 + Bluetooth dongle = $65

What do you guys recommend?

I know kb+mouse is the mustard rice. But in games like forza, batman, super meat boy and castle crashers I find a TV and controller way better. 

Opinions?

xbox 360 controller all the way

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

3 minutes ago, Doughnutnator said:

Hi! Need some help. Found the Xbox 360 wireless controler + the original PC wireless adapter for $50 bucks. I already have 2 Xbox 360 controlls. But i'm looking for something for my PC, since sometimes I connect a TV to play on the couch.

I'm seeing that it's a kind of "deal". Since a new controller goes for about 36 bucks on amazon, the adaptor for 12 (generic one) but it would be almost the same thanks to shipping.

Other route is buying a DS4 and an Asus BT400 dongle. I would only have 1 wireless controller but I would get all the nice feeling and a touchpad (included battery too). That would cost me $65

I know kb+mouse is the mustard rice. But in games like forza, batman, super meat boy and castle crashers I find a TV and controller way better. 

Opinions?

xbox has better support IMO, get it

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

18 minutes ago, Doughnutnator said:

Opinions?

XBOX controller have better supports since most of the dev will assume that you use a Xbox controller if you use controller on PC. For PS4 you need to use some mapping program if I remember correctly.

The wireless version of the Xbox 360 controller should already have the adapter to connect to your PC via USB, so...

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_129230_1.jpg[/img]

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

7 minutes ago, Megazero said:

XBOX controller have better supports since most of the dev will assume that you use a Xbox controller if you use controller on PC. For PS4 you need to use some mapping program if I remember correctly.

The wireless version of the Xbox 360 controller should already have the adapter to connect to your PC via USB, so...

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_129230_1.jpg[/img]

Yeah, I have the option to get the cheap adapter but I need a new controller anyways. I never saw the Wireless Controller + the adaptor bundled. It's original and just for $50. I know I don't need the original, but a new one + generic one would go for 45-48 and even more with the shipping. This store is just 3 minutes from where I live so...

Thanks for your advice, I really like the 360 controller, I take care of them a lot, the one I have is in good shape for more than 3 years.

37 minutes ago, Doughnutnator said:

snip

Why not just use one of your current 360 controllers? Unless they're wired ?_? If not just get the adapter for the 360 controller and download the 360 controller package.

The only reason I use SCP ( A thing for using ps3 controllers to make them be 360 controllers on PC ) is because I already have a PS3 controller so it was cheaper.

So you should just do the same for yourself. Just use the 360 controllers you already have, and get the wireless dongle

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

10 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

Why not just use one of your current 360 controllers? Unless they're wired ?_? If not just get the adapter for the 360 controller and download the 360 controller package.

The only reason I use SCP ( A thing for using ps3 controllers to make them be 360 controllers on PC ) is because I already have a PS3 controller so it was cheaper.

So you should just do the same for yourself. Just use the 360 controllers you already have, and get the wireless dongle

I have one wired, and one wireless. Both are now crappy because I gave my Xbox 360 to my sister, and my little 5-year-old brother likes to play with the wireless controler. It seems that I need to fix the battery connections since they don't work that well anymore. I don't live in USA, so the wireless adapter goes for $22-25 for me.

Anyways I will consider that, since I don't need to spend a lot of money to get a nice experience. Thanks

The Steam Controller is the same price as that bundle, I'd suggest checking that out. You'd have to be willing to put the time into adjusting, though, something for which most people simply can't be asked.

If you're used to the 360 gamepad, I'd suggest that over the DS4.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

21 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

The Steam Controller is the same price as that bundle, I'd suggest checking that out. You'd have to be willing to put the time into adjusting, though, something for which most people simply can't be asked.

If you're used to the 360 gamepad, I'd suggest that over the DS4.

$40 for me. $10 cheaper than the bundle, but I would only have 1 wireless control instead of 2 if I buy the bundle. Do you recommend getting the Steam controller and save $10 bucks despite quitting on the chance of having more wireless controllers?

2 hours ago, Doughnutnator said:

$40 for me. $10 cheaper than the bundle, but I would only have 1 wireless control instead of 2 if I buy the bundle. Do you recommend getting the Steam controller and save $10 bucks despite quitting on the chance of having more wireless controllers?

It depends on what's important to you.

The SC is the most versatile controller I've ever used (and in my opinion the best), but it takes more effort overall.

In this case, I'd recommend the SC if you just want the best controller for PC gaming and I'd recommend the 360 controller if you just want an easy plug-and-play solution that you can use with friends.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

DS4. Support isn't an issue whatsoever after you install InputMapper, and you get a more comfortable controller with an infinitely better D-pad, plus, the touchpad is pretty handy when you're playing from your couch or your bed.

I prefer the DS4 controller, but mine just DOES NOT work ever with my computer.

I have a wired x360 controller for gaming

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

for pc gaming get the 360 wired controller simply because no batteries. if you want wireless then get the xbox one controller bundle with the usb dongle. plus of the xbox one controller is that you can run your pc audio through the audio jack on the controller itself. 

if you already have a ds4 or can get one cheaper (doubt it) then definitely get it. in my opinion it is a far better controller then the xbox 360 and xbox one controllers but the pc support is just not there. and your button prompts wont be for ps. so on screen will say press A and you have to know A = X on ps controller. not a problem if you use both but if your new to xbox button prompts that could be a problem. some games like skyrim or fallout there is a mod for ps button prompts.

i cant remember exactly what program i used for ds4 to windows but a quick google search "ds4 to Xinput" showed some programs that should get your controller working if you decide to go for the ds4. 

my summary is that the ds4 is a much better controller but the 360 and xbone controllers have the support for pc.

9 hours ago, Zepphyrr2142 said:

for pc gaming get the 360 wired controller simply because no batteries. if you want wireless then get the xbox one controller bundle with the usb dongle. plus of the xbox one controller is that you can run your pc audio through the audio jack on the controller itself. 

if you already have a ds4 or can get one cheaper (doubt it) then definitely get it. in my opinion it is a far better controller then the xbox 360 and xbox one controllers but the pc support is just not there. and your button prompts wont be for ps. so on screen will say press A and you have to know A = X on ps controller. not a problem if you use both but if your new to xbox button prompts that could be a problem. some games like skyrim or fallout there is a mod for ps button prompts.

i cant remember exactly what program i used for ds4 to windows but a quick google search "ds4 to Xinput" showed some programs that should get your controller working if you decide to go for the ds4. 

my summary is that the ds4 is a much better controller but the 360 and xbone controllers have the support for pc.

It's called InputMapper.

As for button prompts, there are mods for plenty of games to change them to PS prompts, and there are some games that do offer native support for the DS4, showing PS prompts and even making use of the touchpad and the light bar in-game just like they'd work on PS4. I know at least Farcry and Mad Max do that.

13 hours ago, Zepphyrr2142 said:

I ordered a Steam Controller for $40 today. But the audio through the controller sounds like an awesome idea. Xbox one + adapter is super expensive, more than 60 but maybe I should consider it.

What do you recommend? I can cancel the order on the steam controller and just grab a Xbox One controller

5 hours ago, Doughnutnator said:

I ordered a Steam Controller for $40 today. But the audio through the controller sounds like an awesome idea. Xbox one + adapter is super expensive, more than 60 but maybe I should consider it.

What do you recommend? I can cancel the order on the steam controller and just grab a Xbox One controller

i have the xbox one controller and i like it. i have my pc on the projector and its nice to sit on the couch and play games. the audio through the controller is a big plus. i never used the steam controller so i cant say anything on that. idk if you should cancel it. $40 is a pretty good price for a controller. like ive said i never used the steam controller and to me im not to sure how good the steam controllers touchpads would work with me. but people seem to like it. i would say go with what will suit you the best. 

On 6/30/2016 at 9:28 PM, Doughnutnator said:

Opinions?

DS4 is nice i use it on my PC with a Asus bluetooth adapter.  if you Download DS4 for windows it tricks your computer into thinking its a xbox controller so youll have all the same support Except the on screen prompts are related to the microsoft controller which is a very small inconvenience for some i suppose.

Also if your couch gaming the touchpad on DS4 might be handy incase you dont have a keyboard or mouse close can launch a game with it or app not to difficulty 

I would say go with the DS4 or Xbox one controller not the 360 small price jump i think is worth it 

1 hour ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

DS4 is nice i use it on my PC with a Asus bluetooth adapter.  if you Download DS4 for windows it tricks your computer into thinking its a xbox controller so youll have all the same support Except the on screen prompts are related to the microsoft controller which is a very small inconvenience for some i suppose.

Also if your couch gaming the touchpad on DS4 might be handy incase you dont have a keyboard or mouse close can launch a game with it or app not to difficulty 

I would say go with the DS4 or Xbox one controller not the 360 small price jump i think is worth it 

Thanks for your opinion, I ended up ordering a Steam Controller for $40.

Things are so expensive in my country. XBOne + adapter $80

DS4 + ASUS Bluetooth $66

18 hours ago, Doughnutnator said:

Thanks for your opinion, I ended up ordering a Steam Controller for $40.

Things are so expensive in my country. XBOne + adapter $80

DS4 + ASUS Bluetooth $66

Yeah Controller wise i only buy at Black Friday deals each year cause DS4 and Xbone both drop to 30-35 instead of the 60 MSRP unless of course i need one now 

2 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Yeah Controller wise i only buy at Black Friday deals each year cause DS4 and Xbone both drop to 30-35 instead of the 60 MSRP unless of course i need one now 

Problem is I don't live in USA. I can cancel the Steam Controller and wait for a XBOne (the bluetooth one). You recommend that?

20 minutes ago, Doughnutnator said:

Problem is I don't live in USA. I can cancel the Steam Controller and wait for a XBOne (the bluetooth one). You recommend that?

Nah i wouldn't recommend waiting that long but something to keep in the back of your mind in case the steam controller doesn't turn out to be what you wanted you know or you decide you want both but on a tight budget. maybe just keep a eye out for a deal around then. on newegg US controllers every couple months do seem to drop to the 40s range though in your country this may vary as i dont know where you live 

Why not the Xbox One controller? It's by far and away the best construed gamepad, and though it's subjective I'd say it's the most well designed and thought out control ever to come out. If you can afford it, the Elite controller is a great investment IF you game with a controller a lot. If price is an issue, just get one of the regular XB1 controllers. The new ones even have Bluetooth which is a blessing; no need to have an ugly wireless adaptor taking up a USB port anymore.

9 hours ago, ogretactics said:

Why not the Xbox One controller? It's by far and away the best construed gamepad, and though it's subjective I'd say it's the most well designed and thought out control ever to come out. If you can afford it, the Elite controller is a great investment IF you game with a controller a lot. If price is an issue, just get one of the regular XB1 controllers. The new ones even have Bluetooth which is a blessing; no need to have an ugly wireless adaptor taking up a USB port anymore.

It's too expensive. $80 with the dongle. The new one (Bluetooth) isn't out yet, and I don't know if it keeps the 3.5mm Headset thing. Even with the new one I would need a Bluetooth dongle, and that ends up with $77 USD.

Instead of the 40 I spent with the Steam Controller. It looks good, im just afraid that my hands will not fit or that it will be to hard for me to play with it

3 minutes ago, Doughnutnator said:

It's too expensive. $80 with the dongle. The new one (Bluetooth) isn't out yet, and I don't know if it keeps the 3.5mm Headset thing. Even with the new one I would need a Bluetooth dongle, and that ends up with $77 USD.

Instead of the 40 I spent with the Steam Controller. It looks good, im just afraid that my hands will not fit or that it will be to hard for me to play with it

Yea, the Steam Controller has a STEEP learning curve. I haven't spent too much time with it, but it's a quite different feel from other controllers. Hope it works out for you!