Do TN have backlight bleeding as well?

MentalBlank

I got my Swift PG279Q and may swap it with PG278Q and get some of my money back. Is it worth it? Will i have the same problem with TN panel? Also which one would you get if you had the money?

This how it looks like when brightness 100% (In reality the bleeding is less)

13548862_1039871309423985_975741612_o.jpg

you could just RMA it and hope that the next example you get doesnt suffer on bleeding

which of PG279Q or PG278Q or any?  IMO all the way IPS for great colors

waiting for the 1080ti and hoping it has enough power to run a 34" 3440x1440 IPS 100hz or higher. because those 34" are so sexy

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

With IPS its normal to have backlight bleeding (even says so on the official selling page for the PG279Q. However it should happen WAY less with a TN panel (one of my friends has a PG278Q and has no problems).

2 minutes ago, cummerou1 said:

With IPS its normal to have backlight bleeding (even says so on the official selling page for the PG279Q. However it should happen WAY less with a TN panel (one of my friends has a PG278Q and has no problems).

Hmm i think i will send it back and get pg278.

Kinda late to the party here, but the orange stuff is known as IPS glow, which is a side-effect from having an IPS panel. WAY to noticeable and distracting for me. The higher priced TN panels are REALLY good. Takes some tweaking with the colors and has a narrower optimal viewing angle, but they are really good. The TN panels shouldn't have IPS glow at all, and if it has backlight bleed (the white uneven light coming from the bezel edge) it is due to manufacturing faults and can warrant an RMA :)

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller

13 hours ago, MentalBlank said:

I got my Swift PG279Q and may swap it with PG278Q and get some of my money back. Is it worth it? Will i have the same problem with TN panel? Also which one would you get if you had the money?

This how it looks like when brightness 100% (In reality the bleeding is less)

Backlight bleed is an inherent flaw with backlit LCD technologies. The specific panel type doesn't matter. All LCDs have backlight bleed to some degree. Since it has to do with light leaking around the edges of the panel, not the light passing through the panel, TN or IPS is irrelevant. Backlight bleed depends on the tolerances of the manufacturing process of the panel assembly (as distinct from the manufacturing of the monitor itself).

The specific IPS panel used in the PG279Q, XB270HU, etc. seems to suffer from backlight bleed more often than others. Most likely this is just due to supply issues. The yield for IPS panels that can operate at these high frequencies (120+ Hz) is quite low, and the demand for these monitors is pretty high. So, the standards of quality testing are lowered to meet demand, and AUO ends up selling batches of panels to ASUS, Acer, etc. which would normally not pass their QC tests. But due to the supply problem, they have decided this amount of backlight bleed is acceptable, to increase their output of panels. This is only speculation based on what we know publicly, but it's the most likely explanation for why so many of these monitors are coming with bad panels.

Unfortunately, after seeing that these particular monitors had backlight bleed issues (and they all use the same panel supplied by AUO, so it's really just 1 single model in question), some less experienced people have leapt to the conclusion for no reason at all that ALL IPS panels in general have way more backlight bleed than other panel types, and have started spreading this misinformation around. IPS panels have been in use for decades. If they had inherently more backlight bleed, it would be a well-known fact, not something being discovered all the sudden. This is not new technology. Having used a variety of IPS panels over the years, the spectrum of backlight bleed isn't any different from other panel types. There are good ones and bad ones. The PG278Q may have much less backlight bleed than the PG279Q, but it has nothing to do with the general TN vs. IPS panel type. What you observe when comparing them is only the difference between those specific TN and IPS panels.

Glenwing that's fantastic info, thanks. 

Would you recommend sticking with the 278 for this generation then? (aka reconsider an ips panel when the next generation comes which hopefully irons out the yield / qa problems this current gen experiences..)? 

50 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Backlight bleed is an inherent flaw with backlit LCD technologies. The specific panel type doesn't matter. All LCDs have backlight bleed to some degree. Since it has to do with light leaking around the edges of the panel, not the light passing through the panel, TN or IPS is irrelevant. Backlight bleed depends on the tolerances of the manufacturing process of the panel assembly (as distinct from the manufacturing of the monitor itself).

The specific IPS panel used in the PG279Q, XB270HU, etc. seems to suffer from backlight bleed more often than others. Most likely this is just due to supply issues. The yield for IPS panels that can operate at these high frequencies (120+ Hz) is quite low, and the demand for these monitors is pretty high. So, the standards of quality testing are lowered to meet demand, and AUO ends up selling batches of panels to ASUS, Acer, etc. which would normally not pass their QC tests. But due to the supply problem, they have decided this amount of backlight bleed is acceptable, to increase their output of panels. This is only speculation based on what we know publicly, but it's the most likely explanation for why so many of these monitors are coming with bad panels.

Unfortunately, after seeing that these particular monitors had backlight bleed issues (and they all use the same panel supplied by AUO, so it's really just 1 single model in question), some less experienced people have leapt to the conclusion for no reason at all that ALL IPS panels in general have way more backlight bleed than other panel types, and have started spreading this misinformation around. IPS panels have been in use for decades. If they had inherently more backlight bleed, it would be a well-known fact, not something being discovered all the sudden. This is not new technology. Having used a variety of IPS panels over the years, the spectrum of backlight bleed isn't any different from other panel types. There are good ones and bad ones. The PG278Q may have much less backlight bleed than the PG279Q, but it has nothing to do with the general TN vs. IPS panel type. What you observe when comparing them is only the difference between those specific TN and IPS panels.

I wouldn't mind backlight bleeding that much but i'm not getting the ''premium'' that i payed for. So far i found more issues with this monitor and it's my second day using it... The screen panel feel cheap and loose (the whole thing want to come out), to top that off i found a dead pixel down to the left and something dirty/blurry top to the right. The ROG LED wont turn off once the monitor goes in sleep mode until i turn them off manually which is stupid in my opinion. I have to admit that Asus just sucks at making premium monitors, i had few 200$ Asus TN monitors before and never had a problem with them. Even tho the monitors were cheap but i can confirm they felt way more premium than shitty 1000 $ Swift. Never buying asus ever again.
My only positive about this monitor is the full black design other wise i would have picked the acer from the beginning but it has that red toy legs.
Anyway thank you for taking your time explaining it to me. I appreciate that.

On 1/7/2016 at 2:35 AM, Glenwing said:

I'm looking to buy a XB270HU, do they suffer from a lot of backlight bleeding as well? 

Fractal Define R5 - i7-5820K - Noctua DH-D15S - GLH GTX 1070 - Strix X99 Gaming - HyperX Fury 2400MHz 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2