Ping Spikes at Night

Zentex

So. I have had this problem for about a week now. Around 12-1 AM, my internet's ping spikes up. I get 400 ping in multiplayer games... It's usually 30. This lasts all night, and is a pain. Called my ISP, (CenturyLink) and they said to restart my router.... IS THAT ALL THEY HAVE IN THEIR LITTLE BOOKLET FOR SUPPORT? Yeah so that didn't help as I tried that before spending 30 minutes on hold. I get 12 down (Used to be 20 but for some reason it's not available in my area anymore) and 1 up. I also have a wired connection. So if anyone has had this issue or knows how to fix it that would be greatly appreciated.

If the line servicing your house is shared with another customer (which it almost certainly is), other customers may be using a large amount of bandwidth during those times, causing your connection to slow.  Of course, it could also be your network that is generating a large amount of traffic at those times.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

3 hours ago, ultimatemythbuster said:

If the line servicing your house is shared with another customer (which it almost certainly is), other customers may be using a large amount of bandwidth during those times, causing your connection to slow.  Of course, it could also be your network that is generating a large amount of traffic at those times.

I doubt anyone is using a large amount of bandwith around here, I'm in this like, rural area but then its like 2 minutes away from a large town so it's kinda weird. xD But I doubt people around here do anything more than checking their Facebook.

Century Link is a joke of an ISP. We have them in a rural area and they claim the best DSL they can do is 1.5 MegaBit. At about 6 PM, when most people get off work, our already slow connection barely works. When we call and ask why they told us this area does not have any kind of serious infrastructure, nor do they plan to build it up. We were told if we didn't like our service to cancel it. When it rains the internet goes out and they have "no idea why." We would get satellite but it is more expensive and even less reliable. It sucks.

CPU- i5 4670K CPU Cooler- Corsair H90 MB- MSI Z87 GD-45 RAM- 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws Case- NZXT Phantom 530

PSU- Corsair CX750M Cooler- Corsair H90 Boot Drive- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Storage-WD 1TB Blue Storage- Seagate 2TB

2 hours ago, austin2118ace said:

Century Link is a joke of an ISP. We have them in a rural area and they claim the best DSL they can do is 1.5 MegaBit. At about 6 PM, when most people get off work, our already slow connection barely works. When we call and ask why they told us this area does not have any kind of serious infrastructure, nor do they plan to build it up. We were told if we didn't like our service to cancel it. When it rains the internet goes out and they have "no idea why." We would get satellite but it is more expensive and even less reliable. It sucks.

Damn that sucks man.