Alienware Aurora (need help!)

Go to solution Solved by KE2012,

1. You have good ram,  meaning no this won't bottle neck your system.  

2. The 'boot drive'  simply means which drive stores your operating system, and yes,  you can install extra games on this drive.  

3. On AIO  (all in ones)  you do not change the water or do any maintenance other than the occasional dusting session to remove the dust in the radiator.  Do as often as required.  

4. There will be a cap of capacity and speed,  however if all you want from your rig is gaming don't worry about it.  The amount and quality of the ram you already have is overkill for gaming in the foreseeable future.  

I just purchased the new Alienware Aurora and while I'm not new to pc gaming, I'm unsure about a few components that are in this computer.  The things I've looked up either don't answer my question or just further confuse me.  I've never built my own computer so even this level of customization is quite daunting especially when it pertains to upgradability in the future. 

Specs:

• i7-6700K Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, Overclocked up to 4.2GHz on all four cores)
  • NVDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
  • 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
  • 512GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
  • Micro ATX motherboard...no clue on the brand as I believe they use a custom one for this case
  • 10 usb 3.0 and 1 type C, 7 USB 2.0 
  • 850W PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis

My desired gaming experience in all current and foreseeable future games are 60+ fps on a 144hz, QUD (2560x1440), gsync  screen.

The computer will only be used for games.  Nothing else. 

Questions/Concerns:

1. What is the quality or my ram?  Will 2133MHz bottleneck my gaming experience in any way?  What is sdram?
  2. Is my PCIe SSD (boot) just for booting my computer?  Will I be able to put games and stuff on it? Dumb question I know, but this is my first SSD and I'm not sure why it says boot by it. 
  3. I'm 100% new to liquid cooling and no idea how to use and maintain it. I've looked up a few things, but nothing really helps.  I can't find ANY info on the liquid cooling in this computer other than it will cool the CPU.  How ofter should i change the water?
  4. The thing I'm most confused about is my motherboard.  Can I put any speed of DDR4 I want on it or is there a cap?  I'd like to upgrade later on to 64gb DDR 3200MHz.

Any and all comments are most appreciated.  Any thoughts on how it might perform and what do y'all think I should upgrade?

1. RAM will only effect the performance in games when the CPU is the bottleneck of the system which it is not

2. Windows is only like 20 GB so you will still have ~500 GB for games on there

3.No clue about water cooling sorry

4.There might be a cap it depends on the mobo so you should try and find out which one you have

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

32 GB of RAM is already somewhat overkill so I doubt you would need to upgrade it for a long time.

Smoke Weed Every Day!

20 minutes ago, Speshul_ said:

1. RAM will only effect the performance in games when the CPU is the bottleneck of the system which it is not

2. Windows is only like 20 GB so you will still have ~500 GB for games on there

3.No clue about water cooling sorry

4.There might be a cap it depends on the mobo so you should try and find out which one you have

Thank you very much!

3 minutes ago, Duduix said:

32 GB of RAM is already somewhat overkill so I doubt you would need to upgrade it for a long time.

Thank you!  I just didn't know if the speed of the ram would hurt anything. 

1. You have good ram,  meaning no this won't bottle neck your system.  

2. The 'boot drive'  simply means which drive stores your operating system, and yes,  you can install extra games on this drive.  

3. On AIO  (all in ones)  you do not change the water or do any maintenance other than the occasional dusting session to remove the dust in the radiator.  Do as often as required.  

4. There will be a cap of capacity and speed,  however if all you want from your rig is gaming don't worry about it.  The amount and quality of the ram you already have is overkill for gaming in the foreseeable future.  

I will try to not reiterate what everyone one else is saying, but for RAM there is almost no performance improvement at all with going with faster ram (not including APUs). Really you are going to need to upgrade you graphics card if anything in the future. You should be getting 60+ FPS with a 1080 at that resolution, but definatly not 144 100% of the time. I started out with 12Gb quite a few years ago and actual RAM use for gaming is not that much. If anyting 16 Gb is even overkill. If I were you I would save the money on the RAM and either save it, SLI 1080s, or get the 1080 Ti if that comes out.