Good build? You decide!

Hello, everyone!

I've recently compiled a list of PC parts that I plan to utilize for gaming, recording/streaming, and average daily functions. I'm no tech expert and I've only owned one other PC that I didn't even build myself so I'd greatly appreciate if this community of tech enthusiasts and gamers could exert some energy by typing and collecting your thoughts to improve, critique, or congratulate my PC build.

*I'm especially curious as to whether the PCPartPicker compatibility note listed is a viable warning and I must switch motherboards or if I'm fine. I also would like to know if I would be fine changing the PSU from modular to non-modular and if it will damage my ability to hide cables given the case I chose.*

PCPartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/b69RGf

(Note: I plan to get my hands on a large HDD, so don't fret on storage.)

Thank you for your time!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($87.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($53.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Other: RX 480 4GB ($219.99)
Total: $758.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-28 16:42 EDT-0400

BEFORE PEOPLE BITCH ABOUT THE MOTHERBOARD BEING Z97

It chose it because it was the cheapest mobo that fit his colour scheme c:

1231 >> 8350, Better PSU and onpar (or much better, depends) graphics card.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, montra said:

i would invest in another stick of ram and in a hdd in the future:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/QK6KZ8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/QK6KZ8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($297.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($57.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($30.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($34.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Other: rx 480 ($230.00)
Total: $781.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-28 16:43 EDT-0400

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($87.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($53.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Other: RX 480 4GB ($219.99)
Total: $758.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-28 16:42 EDT-0400

BEFORE PEOPLE BITCH ABOUT THE MOTHERBOARD BEING Z97

It chose it because it was the cheapest mobo that fit his colour scheme c:

1231 >> 8350, Better PSU and onpar (or much better, depends) graphics card.

What's wrong with z97? If possible, it might be worth his time to get a better PSU.

1 minute ago, CobbleWalker said:

What's wrong with z97? If possible, it might be worth his time to get a better PSU.

The new CX series is better than the old CX series by miles and for the price it's great. Also, it's the fact that it's a locked CPU with a Z97 board.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, CobbleWalker said:

green is crap, white is good.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

The new CX series is better than the old CX series by miles and for the price it's great. Also, it's the fact that it's a locked CPU with a Z97 board.

Gotcha, thanks.

Just now, TheRandomness said:

you corrected a german. what comes next? england gets defeated by iceland?

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

you corrected a german. what comes next? england gets defeated by iceland?

I'm not English and I don't care about football <3

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

I'm not English and I don't care about football <3

over here litteraly everyone is freaking out about them. they even the frase "son" on random texts in apps :D

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($252.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PLUS WS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($70.22 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.90 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Other: rx 480  ($199.99)
Total: $748.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-29 04:15 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Quite confused as to how this forum operates. I've managed to collect a range of computer builds for my price range that do not suit my personal needs in my original post. I'll need to stream, record, do productivity, and game. Ignoring my 16GB of ram, changing case to save money, lowering the PSU, downgrading my GPU (to an AMD GPU AT THAT?!?! Disgusting!), ignoring my comment about not needing an HDD, and choosing CPUs that would perform terribly when streaming/editing videos or multitasking. If you want to copy+paste your builds, at least answer one of my questions; Will my chosen motherboard be compatible with my CPU?

Hey Montra

Interesting build Idea. Please note it is quite challenging to do what you've asked with the budget put forward. So i'll get right to my big point. The main reason people are suggesting team red for the GPU is because the new RX 480 it’s the BEST price to performance GPU around. it literally just came out and its entire reason for being is hitting that price to performance ratio.  please see below for Luke’s review of the card.

In a nut shell the RX 480 is a very good card that can do most of what a GTX 970 can at a lower price. please see below examples

RX 480 $199

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202222

GTX 970 $264 thanks to a $65 Sale

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133620

Please note these prices are CAN

Not to mention this is a current generation card with the various new technologies and efficiencies that come with that. And the icing on top would be that if in the future you needed more power you could very reasonably add a second card for crossfire.

The power supply thing is because 750W bronze is going to do just as much for you as 650W Bronze but save you $20-$30 (with a 750 ish budget that matters). The name of the game for tech these days is efficiency. new full power GTX 1080's only use like 180W compared to their 250 980 Ti brothers. Unless you plan to run SIL the 55W power supply will be ok for your system. So some future upgrade plans need to be decided now. if that’s something you're going to need or want you'll have to decide and lay the foundation now. or else spend more money later. but if that’s not your goal then a smaller power supply will save you money in there here and now.

as for the CPU, if you want to game and steam you're going to need some horsepower there. Xeons are built for multi tasking which is what you will be asking your CPU to do. The CPU you have listed is an 8 core but that doesn't mean it will be enough. see below for CPU benchmark list.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core&id=1780

The FX-8350 doesn’t score that well. I can't make a suggestion here because low end CPU's is outside my knowledge base. but the Xeon E3-1230 20ish spots ahead. That’s probably a big part of why it’s being recommended

Hope that helps

Cheers

@Master Sonic Wisebeard

Thank you for the response.

I'm sticking with my current PSU as it's the same price as each of the lower wattage PSU's people have mentioned; $50. I think it's a good investment as it's the same price and allows for more upgrades later.

Thanks for the info. on the CPU!

As for the GPU, I've seen multiple sources say the GTX 970 outperforms the RX 480 in gaming and I'm willing to pay the extra price for more performance (also shadowplay). According to one source:

Doom 1080p Ultra Settings

GTX 970: 101 Avg. FPS

RX 480: 84 Avg. FPS

GTA V 1080p

GTX 970: 89 Avg. FPS

RX 480: 83 Avg. FPS (Experienced major stuttering on GTA V)